Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Consultation on England's Forests – Closing Date 28 September
  • nbt

From the latest IMBA newsletter:

Hello
    This is a reminder about the current consultation on England's publicly owned forests, which ends on 28 September. See below for more information.

Have your say on England’s publicly owned forests
    The 21st Century is bringing increasing pressure on the countryside and our towns and cities from climate change, pollution, and development. It is also bringing opportunities such as globalisation and moving to a low carbon economy. The Public Forest Estate managed by the Forestry Commission at 258,000ha in over 1,500 woods and forests across the country is the single largest land holding in England. It is already playing an important role in helping us meet these challenges and take these opportunities.

Now, the Forestry Commission is asking all those that live close to, work with, or enjoy England’s woods and forests to say how they think the Forestry Commission Public Forest Estate can continue this role; the kind of role that the single largest holding of publicly owned land should play in meeting everyone’s needs.

Anyone with an interest in England’s woods and forests is invited to play their part in deciding the role of a modern Forestry Commission Public Forest Estate for the 21st Century.

The Forestry Commission is asking people to get involved in a Study to consider the future long-term role for the publicly owned woods and forests managed by the Forestry Commission for the benefit of everyone.

The Study of the Public Forest Estate was announced in November 2008 by the Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, Hilary Benn. Trees grow slowly and woods and forests develop over a long period of time so the choices made now will provide the national scale framework for decisions about the Public Forest Estate for decades to come. The Study is the first time that a long-term mandate has been sought to shape the future of England’s Public Forest Estate.

Responses to the consultation will provide key evidence for the Study and the Forestry Commission wants as many people as possible to get involved. As well as the consultation document on the web, activities will include events in each region and a national event to give people the chance to hear about and discuss the issues. If you want to let the Forestry Commission know your views, or you want to find out more about consultation events taking place in your area please see http://www.forestry.gov.uk/england-estatestudy

The consultation was launched on 6th July 2009 and finishes on 28th September 2009.

For more information please contact Stuart Burgess Forestry Commission on 01223 346027 or email stuart.burgess@forestry.gsi.gov.uk

Have a read of the documents, then get in and have your say. It's important that cyclists have a voice, but we must be REALISTIC: if you ask for purpose built trails in every piece of woodland, that'll never happen and you will be dismissed as just another idiot. If you have sensible approach, then maybe we might see our position improve from "those people who annoy walkers" to "the useful people who contribute"

nbt

Bump for today 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

I filled this in a while ago in an effort to be a constructive user.
    And what an effort. It makes a common forest user feel very much an outsider.
    Not the most inviting document in the world.

I imagine keeping it dry and convoluted is the organisation's best way of managing the results.

ooops! did I forget my cynicism pills today? 😉

brooess
    Free Member

not sure I even understood half the questions!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Consultation on England's Forests – Closing Date 28 September’ is closed to new replies.