• This topic has 28 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by igm.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Construction industry workers. What you getting paid? (I know it's rude to ask)
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Absolutely pulled out at work at the minute. Putting plenty of hours in etc.
    Enjoy what I do, currently running 2 projects worth about 7million quid with my trusty site engineer. If these were the big boys sites I’d hazard a guess at probably 6/8 men running them.
    It seems the industry is busy at the moment and everybody has upped their rates in all trades. Don’t want to rock the boat but I’d love some extra dollar as I’m sure everyone else does.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Wiksey
    Free Member

OK, so it’s a survey done by a place that does training courses for electricians, but it’ll give you a starting point.

2016-electrician-salary-survey

footflaps

[url=https://flic.kr/p/JyEjPF]Extra dollar[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Flaperon

If you want to know if might help if you posted up your pay as well…

perchypanther
    Free Member

I’m a QS so I get paid handsomely to deal with brickies who want to up their rates halfway through a contract by telling them to do one (Vote for Bricksit)….. and getting a gang of Eastern Europeans with plastic trowels fresh off the plane to do it for a quarter of the rate. 😀

100mphplus
    Free Member

Depends upon lots of factors, the major one being where in the country are you?

If you want to earn big bucks then the bright lights of the big Londinium city is where’s it’s at, but that’s countered by fekin stupid accommodation & transport costs, so you’re not really all that better off in the long run.
    To be better off overall you’re probably better off looking at other more northern big cities like Manchester, Leeds etc.

… oh and the reason why us big boys have 6/8+ on them is because we have to fill in more fekin paperwork than you little boys 😉

piha
    Free Member

I have subcontractors working of me around London & the south and I judge the marketplace by the amount of subbies contacting me looking for work and the amount of new enquiries I have from customers.

I think construction has been at a constant level up until the ref. This was confirmed to me by subbies looking for work (not many and most quite busy). Post ref it seems that work will be harder to come by if I believe conversations I have with sales teams & management (depending on their in/out of the EU views of course). With work harder to find I can’t see rates rising across the industry whatsoever and don’t forget that the last 8 years haven’t been particularly lucrative for many companies so they will be reluctant to allow price rises. There will be a lot of work already started or due to commence but like 2008, it is very easy for the money men to pull funding and transfer it to another industry or country for a better return.

Taking the above into account I would think that to get ‘extra dollar’ would mean jumping on a company or project that required extra man power and a bit of a short term prospect or just wait & see what happens in the marketplace.

Marin
    Free Member

More than I’ve earnt before ever. Leave home at 7 30 home by 3 45. On the tools, being offered lots of work but happy with my lot where I am. No end of it in sight either

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Work for a large company putting things “right” fully expensed van. Tools bought etc shares and holiday pay double time before and after my start times and job and knock.

Site agents hate me as I take home more than them for half the hassle and my work finishes when I leave the job.. they still get emails and phone calls at daft o’clock.

Chuffed to bits in my job I actually left working away for a large pub chain refurbishing their pubs for this job and that was mega money digs paid and £35 food allowance daily.

Marin
    Free Member

Yep works van here saves me a lot of cash. Are you a FJ’s regular Phill?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and getting a gang of Eastern Europeans with plastic trowels fresh off the plane to do it for a quarter of the rate.

But I’m sure your brickies only voted Leave because they are racists.

Why else would they?

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ve been offered a job by the groundworkers already. At 41 I’d rather be off the tools but I’m not your average site manager who sits in the office. I can’t rest in there and will help all trades out if needed. Do we need the title project manager to be pushing the 45k salary?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

We did a huge salary review last year. Scotland specific though…

You need an e mail address but just tick the no response button

http://www.contractscotland.co.uk/salary-review

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Nb your engineer will be gwtting 50k plus freelance…

alanl
    Free Member

Sparky here, been subbing for a Company since February, they have far too much work, so much that they cant cope. I’m running 2x 4 week refurbs on my own – that means ordering/fitting/liasing with customer, everything. The only thing my Boss does is take a call from me when there are extras added.
    He wants me full time on the books. Today he offered me £10 an hour. I almost walked out.
    I’ll be staying as a subbie for a while yet on £15.50/hr.

wrightyson
    Free Member

My engineer is on 250 a shift as I agreed his rate.

ChrisE
    Free Member

Project Manager for a Main Contractor. Hons Degree. Normally running 1 or 2 jobs in the £10m-£20M range. Mainly commercial, retail, healthcare etc. Basically anything but not residential. Work for a great firm. Could easily get an increase by moving but the directors and owner are something special where I work so wouldn’t just do that without a good reason.

C

rmacattack
    Free Member

100mphplus has got it spot on. im a spark and was on sites before i decided to become one.
    in my opinion the construction industry has to be one of the most corrupt, untrustworthy and bullshit, backstabbing industries. i cant compare to others, but finance and banking must be up there

rmacattack
    Free Member

i like my job and have been for 7 + years and will continue to. being sub contracted gives a little more freedom but has the risk and factors with self employment. nobody is paying rates on the books ,or wants people on the books.
    latest firm im subbing work from i don’t even think the owner has ever worked as an electrician, ive seen it before. more like a business venture.

*don’t care about grammar or punctuation.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’m going to be paying 18.50/hr for a site forklift driver from next week, he’ll be taking 14.80 with the rest to the agency. That really is a good rate for something with very little responsibility. Oh and that’s something else I currently do when stuff needs moving around…

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

@marin haha how you know i frequent fjmtb lol. One of our locals yeah love the place.

I worked away for the uks biggest pub chain doing the mechanical fitting on all the builds working cards in for a preferred contractor to the owners..

We had all the perks ie digs paid food money expensed vans and tools and shout of the site as our role was most important in the clients eyes as we had the largest bills and most work to complete (heating,gas,water,air con,vent and kitchen canopies).

On a average site duration (4-6) month for a pub we had upto 10 lads then local lakkies and ground workers. The site agent and ganger were the only two from another contracting company who oversaw all the works and tried to keep to programme.

They got paid poorly and treated like numpties bless em and they had all the flack from above hardly any site agents stayed for longer than 2-3 projects as it was stressful and all the contractors earning more cash and having a overiding vote didnt help much.

I loved the job and it had its perks but being away from home wasnt one of them.

Drac

I’m going to be paying 18.50/hr for a site forklift driver from next week,

😯

engineeringcowboy
    Free Member

Site engineer – 22-28 and hour depending on experience
    Section engineer 25-32 an hour
    Sub agent 30-40 and hour
    Agent 35-45 an hour

I’m finding wages in London are no higher because there are more engineers in london

wallop

I work for ‘one of the big boys’. Bloody decent company and on a project of £7-8m we would probably have a senior site manager and two assistants, with a visiting ops manager – all permanent, no agency guys.

If you are decent then there’ll be someone that will pay you what you think you are worth.

curvature
    Free Member

Just been paying £20.50hr to an agency for joiners

Marin
    Free Member

Bigphill. Greg, ride with Chris on Orange 5’s. Got Alps trip coming up so aint been to FJ’s for a while. Don’t want to break myself before holiday 🙂

Marin
    Free Member

Id also say its worth earning less to work with a good crew and not have a firm that treats everyone like dirt. Plenty of them about.

igm

Salaried – 45-55k plus pension, car allowance etc for a guy who can run that size of project on their own in our industry.

But that said, depends. We’re capital/materials intensive, a couple of large pieces of equipment might cost £2m of that £7-8m, if the materials costs are lower the project is probably more complex for the same value.

Contract rate – dunno. I know what we pay, but not what the contractor gets if you know what I mean.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Construction industry workers. What you getting paid? (I know it's rude to ask)’ is closed to new replies.