• This topic has 33 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Consolidating the bike fleet .How's this for a future plan ?
  • oldfart

Read the review of Spesh Enduro in Dirt .So how about in the autumn after Canada i flog the Hummer Four Supreme and the Spicy and get one bike to rule them all?At that time should get one for a good price as well .
    Just need to get my head around swapping 2 personal builds for the bike equivalent to a Rep's Car .No insult intended .
    Sound like a plan ?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just one bike? Surely it'll never catch on?

oldfart

Tis the way forward i tell 'eeee 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

OF – Knowing how you ride I'd have said you'd be better with a Stumpy FSR, to be honest. Those Enduros are a lot of bike you know. I'd bet you's soon be wanting something less/smaller/lighter to go with it….
    If I was to only have one MTB, that's what I'd get myself. 🙂

mtbfix

I have a plan to work down toward 4 bikes. 1 x good MTB, 1 x general duties MTB, 1 x SS and 1 x road/tour. Or that is the plan at least. When I discover what the market will pay for some of my old rubbish I'll probably end up keeping it all…

al_f
    Free Member

Sell a Hummer, eh? Burn the heretic! 🙂

Why not sell the others, keep the hummer for HT/XC duties and get the Enduro for bigger/madder stuff?

oldfart

The Hummer would be the problem .I'd wanted a Ti h/t from when i started mtbing in 1995 .From Marin through King Kahuna / Hei Hei (still want now ! )eventually got the modern equivalent ?Now if only Kona had produced the Score instead of just a pic in a catalogue !

epicsteve
    Free Member

have a plan to work down toward 4 bikes. 1 x good MTB, 1 x general duties MTB, 1 x SS and 1 x road/tour

4's what I'm working on at the moment as well. 1 lightweight hardtail, 1 trail hardtail, 1 lightweight full-suss, 1 trail full-suss.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

one bike to ride them all Frodo

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Hummer Four Supreme and the Spicy"

I've only ever seen you ride the 4-Supreme. So perhaps you already have your do-it all bike?

Wouldn't mind a rip on the Spicy tho – uplift day on Exmoor anyone?

hillsplease

One bike is madness. What do you ride when it's broken?

More bikes = better. Fact.

I'll get my coat……

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What do you ride when it's broken?

you get quick at fixing it 🙂

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Sound like a plan ? <

You sound like an attention whore tbh…

ddmonkey

I love the idea of having one bike for everything, but I find that in fact it means more bike changing / building etc than if you had more than one as you constantly chase the perfect allrounder that doesn't exist.

I'm at three at the moment – Commuter hardtail with a bit of offroad capability, one light but tough hardtail with 100 – 140 mm travel fork, and then a do-it all full sus that could do enduro races or handle a DH track at a push. Any less and I'd be pining for something else even more than I do now. Wish I could win the lottery and afford a Sunn Radical framekit – I WANT ONE!!!!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"attention whore"

Aka. active forum member. I see you've posted 5 threads, ever. 😀

daveob
    Free Member

Don't do it! Any biker who needs to ride and gets very grumpy without needs a spare. No matter how good you are at repairing will eventually miss a ride due to mechanicals that day you will regret it.

Can empathise with the rep comment. Having broken my Hustler and encountered the infamous Cove customer service (crap) I now ride an orange 5, but it doesn't have the same feel good factor.

glenncampbell

1 bike is just not enough and is madness as noted above! With mechanicals etc. more than 1 bike is essential. 1 x light hardtail, 1 x short travel light full sus, 1 good road bike and 1 ancient road bike on the turbo works well for me!

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Downhill bike, trail/good bike, singlespeed, road bike, pub/commute bike. I think that's fair!

Andy

The Podster +1; Stumpy FSR ticks all for you IMO, but I'd keep the hummer and 1 x 9 it as a mud bike old 'un

AlasdairMc

mtbfix – Member
    I have a plan to work down toward 4 bikes. 1 x good MTB, 1 x general duties MTB, 1 x SS and 1 x road/tour.

Strangely that's mine, but I'm working up to it. I have the good MTB and the SS, need something in between and perhaps a crosser and my fleet will be complete.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Owning a 2004 5-Spot,Dekerf hardtail,Ritchey cross and Giant road bike.Thinking 4 just about covers it.But still lusting after a Turner Flux! This would mean stripping the Dekerf for parts which i don't think i can do just yet!
    Thanx Max

GW
    Free Member

Selling all your bikes based on a review in DIRT? that's hilarious!! 😆

isn't a spicy practically the same as an Enduro?

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Blimey, I only have 2, well 3 if you count the super burner pension fund in the loft.

Currently have an old rigid mountain bike for touring, and lightweight HT for everything else. Shouldn't be too hard (with a change of tyres) to cosolodate those 2 later this year. I was thinking along the lines of scandal 29er.

takisawa2

I have a plan to work down toward 4 bikes.

🙂

Class!!

nonk
    Free Member

one mountain bike one road bike.
    any more and you should go to confession or something.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

2 MBT minimum

a. you can ride one when the other is broke, waiting for new forks or whatever
    b. a bike you lend to a friend in need or visiting dignitaries
    c. a cheap simple one for winter filth, and your fancy one of course

judderman
    Free Member

Having 1 bike…………its like only having 1 drink in a pub….or only having 1 woman, or like only having 1 scone with a cream tea! these new fangled ideas of yours O/F aint ever gonna catch on!

oldfart

Think my bikes must have ESP .Went out on the Hummer this afternoon, a mile from home back tyre went flat so i walked back and got the Kona !ONE BIKE IS MADNESSSSSS ! 👿

EddieFiola
    Free Member

One bike!!!
    Are you mad, you need as many as you can store + 1.
    1 ss mtb
    1 race mtb
    1 all day mtb

1 commuter/training road
    1 fixy
    1 race

saladdodger
    Free Member

How many bikes does one bloke need

"just one more" is what I tell the wife

AlasdairMc

Eddie Fiola – Member

…you need as many as you can store + 1

I like this idea, as it ignores the want aspect and is more practical.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I gave away a bike last year, because I didn't think I had room for it. Now I'm looking for something almost identical 🙄

Lessons learnt:

If you don't fall over them on the way to the fridge, there's room for more.
    Never get rid of one you like, it'll haunt you 🙁
    There are more bikes than niches, but you should have a bike for every occasion.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Never get rid of one you like, it'll haunt you

fair comment

no worries on my next move then eh rich 🙂

Andy

6 down to 4, (and one of those is the pub bike-commuter-road bike) in the last 12 months. Really glad too, much less clutter. Might go down to three this year.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Consolidating the bike fleet .How's this for a future plan ?’ is closed to new replies.