Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Consolidating bikes
  • heavy_rat
    Free Member

At present I’ve got a Rockhopper hardtail and a Commencal Meta 5. I tend to ride the hardtail 9 times out of 10 for the local rides. The Meta comes out to play when we go to Wales or the Peaks which happens 2 or 3 times a year and the even less frequent trips abroad to Spain/Alps.

With an eye on taking up a bit of racing I’ve thought about getting rid of the above and getting an Anthem. This would save some room in the garage and I’d have a bike for all (nearly all) occasions.

Being incapable of making any sort of logical decision I thought I’d ask the STW collective what they would do.

wwaswas

Consolidating bikes

this is just wrong.

We all have to stick together with N+1.

Anyone doing N-1 is setting a dangerous precedent 🙁

druidh
    Free Member

Nah – you need at least two bikes. What happens if one breaks?

heavy_rat
    Free Member

N+1 is the ideal and should never be forgotten.

I do have a road bike and a pub bike too. So I’m looking at making 4 into 3 which is not so bad.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’re looking at it all wrong.

Keep the meta.

Buy an Anthem.

Convert the rockhopper to SS.

This way you still have a fun bike you wont mind ragging on propper mountains without fear of not havign a bike working for mid week rides.

You’ll have a nice weather/race bike.

You’ll have a crap weather/winter SS. Which may* end up saving you money.

*this is a lie to get arround SWMBO, in reality it’ll last 6 months before being replaced with something SS specific, more expensive, probably steel, rigid and 29er.

The Meta comes out to play when we go to Wales or the Peaks which happens 2 or 3 times a year and the even less frequent trips abroad to Spain/Alps.

The solution to this is not selling the Meta it’s going on more trips.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Rockhopper and Meta 5 were my two bikes at about this time 18 months ago.

Started to think about “consolidation”…
    Bought a Five and sold the Meta 5, but ended up keeping the Rockhopper and lightened it up with some Hope/Crests. The ‘hopper is great like that, so it’s staying.

Now got to a point where the Five is getting a bit too lardy with dual ply 2.5″s etc, so I’ve bought a Patriot frame and started to build that up too as the beefy bike, which should allow me to return the Five to its former role of default all-day bike.

That’s what “consolidation” looks like in practice.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

I did think about upgrading the hardtail with better wheels. Then thought about swapping the frame to an On One Whippet. Then thought sod it, just get a new bike altogether. But what if I don’t like racing. So I think I’ll leave it as it is for the time being

Scamper
    Free Member

Did what Ecky Thump did – took my stock 2008 Rockhopper (frame is only 0.5lb heavier than a Whippet and pretty stiff) and added lighter/better parts taking it down to 22lbs – transformed a decent frame into a really agile bike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Consolidating bikes’ is closed to new replies.