• This topic has 45 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by mlke.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Considering changing back to gripshift after 15 years am i mad?
  • epo-aholic
    Free Member

Currently i’m pondering the set up for my race bike for the forthcoming season and i keep coming back to running 1×10 changing from xtr to xo or xx and using gripshift as i find shifting with pods difficult when fatigued.

i spent all winter running 1×9, 34 up front and 11-34 out back and i really cant think of a time i didn’t have the correct gear and i dont see that being any different whilst racing.

Someone mentioned you can get an extra click out of the XO 9 speed units but i believe SRAM will release a 10spd version this year anyway,

Is anyone running this and whats your thoughts? also unsure if i stick to 34/11-34 or go to 36/11-36, any thought thee too?

Thanks in advance.

therealhoops
    Free Member

I love my XO twists with Bonti grips. Not slipped a gear once in the 13months I’ve been using them. I’m running a dual ring 32/44 and a 11-34 at the back. The granny has been removed.

singlespeedstu

One of my bikes came with gripshifts already fitted.
    Having not used them for about 10 years i thought i’d just give them a bit of a go before changing them to triggers.

They’re still on the bike now. They seem to work very well indeed.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

hoops – are you running 10 speed with the xo?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I like gripshift

baznav73
    Free Member

Grip shifts are great after just seeing the new 10spd ones i’ll be getting them.

tomhoward

Allow me to add balance to this thread.

Yes, yes you are stark, raving, clucking and gibbering mad nutcase for even considering using the devils choice of gear shifting (often he’ll choose when youll shift too!)

Nope, I’m not a fan….

hexhamstu
    Free Member

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-grip-shift-10-speed-press-release-2012.html

I’ve always been tempted but now I’ve got shimano theres no way of testing it out.

onandon
    Free Member

I have XO grip shift on all of my geared bikes.( 2×9 1×9 3×9 and 1×10. ) Never misshift and find them comfy with chopped ritchley foam grips.
    Love it in comparison to XTR and wouldn’t be changing back any time soon.
    Interested in the new XX /XO ten speed stuff when available.

I’d suggest picking some used stuff up on here or eBay to give it a try. chances are you can use it for a few months and sell it for the same money if in good condition.

On my Merida 96 I have 34/12-32

darrell
    Free Member

i only use gripshift on my race bikes

Marge
    Free Member

I find my XO gripshifters great (better for me than Shimano) & would certainly like to try the 10spd version. There’s a company in Germany that mods current model to 10spd which tempted me but finally I plumped for the exceedingly good value XT groupset from bike-discount….
    Clearly I’m easily swayed 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I like Gripshift, but use Shimano.

When I used to race I loved it (early ESP era) and would happily try it again.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I use gripshift with the Nexus on my road bike. It’s easy to use. Never really understood why people didn’t get on with them. They are much tidier then trigger switches.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Any DHers use gripshift or is their use confined to towpath mincers (as I suspect)?

scaredypants

(just to complete the initial cycle)

You’re right fourbanger – “DHers” can’t close their chubby fingers round the shifters so they don’t use them

ski
    Free Member

Big fan of grip shifts if you use a tripple setup it’s neat to have half shifts on three speed shift to stop the gears rubbing in some gear combos

fourbanger
    Free Member

Easy there scaredypants. I’m sure they have their place, just like STI’s on a road bike.

schmiken

I love Gripshift and I’ve found 99% of the haters have never tried X.0 shifters. The difference between those and any other ones are like night and day.

surfer
    Free Member

I have X0 on my On One and they are great.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

My srt400’s are still going strong after 15 odd years 😉

muddyman
    Free Member

been using x9 grip shifts for ages now . Ive found a good way to avoid landing and changing ( you know that cartoon style leg flapping that takes over when your in different gear to expected ) is to move them inboard a bit on the bars , leaving enough normal grip, outboard of grip shifter, to hold for jumping and scarey sh*t trail sections !!
    works for me !!

Matt24k
    Free Member

The perceived “problems” with grip shifts are generally from people who have only used budget versions on a budget bike. A quality grip shift is in a different league to the rubbish found on a Tesco bike.
    IMHO they are much neater and there is way less clutter on the bars. Changing up and down 3 or 4 rings at once is easy. You can use SRAM grip shifters with Shimano rear mechs if you go for the Attack model. The X series only work with SRAM rear mechs.
    9 speed Attack http://tinyurl.com/6uud469

sefton
    Free Member

there great,

super light, very cheap 0x, look nice & clean, mechanically simple & reliable – whats not to like???

fourbanger
    Free Member

Matt24k – Member:

The perceived “problems” with grip shifts…

It’s not a question of perception. The fundamental problem with gripshift is unless you want to hold on to a grip that rotates, you have to move your hand on the bar everytime you change gear. Just seems daft to me,l but only from experience.

avdave2

I’ll be going to gripshift when I replace the drivetrain on my hardtail. I’ve been using a Rohloff changer for the last 5 years on another bike and think it’s a much better way of changing gear.

juiced
    Free Member

I still run 1999 SRAM esp9 shortie gripshifts and love them. Have been faultless for a over a decade. I just cut down normal grips to suit.Currently got Sunline mushrooms.

Matt24k
    Free Member

fourbanger
    It must be a technique thing. I do not have to move my hand to change gear. I ride with my index finger covering the brake levers and the other 3 fingers on the static part of the grip which I have cut down to suit. This is as natural to me as others find flicking levers.
    Each to their own and I think this thread underlines that.

bob_summers

I converted to X0 grip shifts last year, love them. One niggle, though, would be they’re a lot fatter than, say, an ODI grip so with thick gloves on in winter they can feel a bit clumsy.

Also, in winter I’ve been so cold my thumbs wouldn’t operate a lever, but no such problems with gripshift. OK, we’re talking one or two days a year here, but still…

fourbanger
    Free Member

Matt24k, fair play. Was a long time ago I used it. It is a tidy solution. Maybe a I’ll try and have a play with some new stuff.

GDRS

I think I’ve some old X-rays in the spares box at home……anyone intrested in making me an offer if I take some pics.

For that retro 1990’s feel……

🙂

mintimperial

I love my X0 Gripshifts, and also my ancient Xray ones from 1996 that are still going strong. I also love the Shimano triggers on my other bike. They’re both good ways of changing gear. I have to say though that whilst I’ve killed a couple of trigger shifters (on one memorable occasion with nothing more than some ferns, no really), I reckon you’d have to really batter a gripshift to stop it working. Your bars would probably snap first.

I’ve never had any problem with accidental shifting on the gripshifts – maybe some people just have fat hands… 😉

they’re a lot fatter than, say, an ODI grip

Hmm, mine taper down to the same size as an ODI lock-on, and they fit really nicely.

I didn’t know there was an extra click on the X0s, very interesting.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Seeing as we’re only connected by our pedals and grips, interfering with the control here seems mental to me. I had GS ages ago, now I ride more demanding stuff I’d never dream of it.

It’s tidy and allows huge shifts but requires your upper body posture to change which is a no-no for me. It would be interesting to see how many GS users also use SPDs.

Maybe they should make a twist brake lever? 😛

mark_b
    Free Member

I use a gripshift for dual chainring shifts – allows for much finer tuning of the front mech. I like it and as has been noted above the technique for shifting doesn’t really require that much changing of hand position or letting go of grips.

For added confusion i use a trigger shift for the rear mech and flat pedals 🙂

brassneck

X0 gripshift was very cheap from Merlin (9sp). That with a X9 rear mech XT front has been light, bombproof and totally reliable for me. Nokon cables and I don’t touch it for 2 years at a time.

I use SPDs on all bikes Herman. DOn’t notice any problem in body posture, you still hold the bars to do it, and maybe you don’t change gears under duress as much as you think – certainly it’s not an issue for me. The ability to dump a bunch of gears in one twist is brilliant though.

rootes1

isn’t there that German places that converts X0 9 speed gripshifts to suit 10 SRAM and 10 Shimano pulls? can’t remember their name..

ps I love gripshift

brassneck

rootes1, please try to remember 🙂 – be interested to hear about that

speaker2animals

I had X-rays (8 spd) on my Cannondale bought in 95. I found rear shifting was no problem at all. The bug bear for me was front shifting when tired, especially if it was wet. I sometimes found I really struggled to make changes up the rings in those conditions.

On that basis if you are thinking of going 1×10 I would expect no problem as you will be using the more user friendly shifter IMHO.

njee20
    Free Member

Black Cat Bone Bikes were doing them, can’t see them on their website though. They were pretty pricey, had to totally remodel the shifters, it’s not just a case of adding an extra ‘notch’. Maybe dropped them now SRAM have confirmed pukka 10 speed ones.

I always used to use them for racing (and loved them) but now on XTR I doubt I’ll change. If I still had XX then I’d change.

Worth noting the 10 speed ones no longer have the ‘trim’ feature on the front mech, they have 2 clicks, one for each chainring, more like a trigger shifter. For me (and for others above) one of the advantages was the ability to adjust the front mech.

shortcut

Loving my xo grip shifts. Running them 10 speed with XTR shifters.

All perfect!

user-removed
    Free Member

Haven’t used gripshift since I had XRays on a rigid Orange Clockwork! Liked them a lot, but IIRC it was a pain in the neck to change the gear cable – lots of winding the cable round in an intricate fashion, only to completely forget how to do it six months later.

Are they any easier now? Or was (am) I just a cack-handed numpty?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Considering changing back to gripshift after 15 years am i mad?’ is closed to new replies.