Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Considering building my own fitted wardrobe
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips of where to get the materials? It’d need doing on the cheap (well, reasonably) so I don’t mind veneered chipboard, but I draw the line at imitation veneer.

I assume you can get mirrors cut to custom sizes from somewhere or other?

therag
    Free Member

B&q sell Stanley doors & track.
    I’ve also bought from space slide I think their called

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s more the timber I am concerned about. B&Q have a shite selection and it’s reportedly expensive.

therag
    Free Member

Try howdens or selco. Trade only so
    Take your letterheaded paper with you. Molgrips construction. 😉

kayak23

You pay so much more for cut-to-size stuff from B&Q and the like. Better off going to a Travis Perkins, BPS or something and get a full 8×4′ sheet. Also, dress up like a builder and keep saying ‘Mate’ a lot and you should get a better price… 😉

You building into an alcove?
    Some sort of framework, tracks and boxing it all in I guess.
    You can buy pre-veneered boards from the above too, in Oak or Maple or something.

Good luck.

br
    Free Member

You pay so much more for cut-to-size stuff from B&Q and the like.

Just buy the 8×4 in B&Q and take a cutting list with you to get it cut-for-free.

But, you’d be hard pressed to make a wardrobe for the price IKEA sell them at.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, I’ll see if I can find a tradesman to get me stuff then.

I’m thinking of going right across the end of my bedroom. Straightforward except that there’s a sloping ceiling for the last bit, not sure what I want to do there. Probably just a non-square sliding door, should be ok. Really won’t need much timber to be honest, just struts for doors and some internal partitions. I could possibly use real wood for the struts rather than strips of chipboard IKEA style.

I have an Ikea wardrobe already. It’s ok but if I had a fitted one I could utilise a lot more space. I expect it to be cheaper than paying someone to do it.

therag
    Free Member

Travis Perkins mdf £22 per sheet
    B&q mdf £9 per sheet both 8×4

Door linning timber from any builders merchants 4″x1″1/8
    You could use end panels for kitchens to make Dividers, they come in 600mm x 2400mm laminated

kayak23

therag – Member

Can’t see that…

B&Q 8×4′ MDF

smg13
    Free Member

As said above you’d be hard pressed to reproduce anything as cheap as something from say Ikea or similar

molgrips
    Free Member

Ikea don’t do fitted. I already have Ikea, I want a fitted wardrobe to maximise space.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t forget your downward cutting jigsaw blades for cutting any laminate that will be visible. 🙂

lynxx
    Free Member

I would speak to a local joinery shop, see if they will order the panels and cut them to your sizes. If they have an edgebander, even better. Get some Rafix knockdown fixings from Hafele. Easy to fit to the edge of shelves and fixed panels, all can be drilled freehand with the correct 15mm cutter.

Where abouts in the UK are you?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m in Cardiff, open to reasonable offers of someone to do it for me. Not doing it imminently though.

Other idea, possibly easier, is to put up plasterboard at the end of the room with a door, and make a walk-in.

clive
    Free Member

Send me an email I can knock you up a drawing of how to make a cheap fitted wardrobe
    That looks ace

Been making them for the last 20 years 😀
    Used the same formula on favor jobs for family and friends

Mugboo

Ikea Pax system

trail_rat
    Free Member

What do you actually want ? Slidy doors or a plaster board and door assembly ?

We just went the other way as the room felt so small with built ins the full height of the room .

therag
    Free Member

kayak23 – Member
    therag – Member
    Can’t see that…
    B&Q 8×4′ MDF

Offer may have ended, I bought 15 sheets a few weeks ago.

Llandaff laminates may be worth a try for materials
    I’m in Cardiff, open to reasonable offers of someone to do it for me. Not doing it imminently though.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Considering building my own fitted wardrobe’ is closed to new replies.