• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by yiman.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Considering BT TV – who uses it?
  • smogmonster

Currently have Sky, but i despise them to be honest, and even with a 60% discount that i currently have, i see that BT TV is cheaper for the stuff i actually want – which is Eurosport for the cycling and BT Sport for the MMA and MotoGP, and allegedly faster Fibre internet. How have people found it? Does it lag much when tuning into the HD channels, such as Eurosport, which i gather come via the internet and not the aerial? Is it reliable – ive had a bad experience with BT in the past which is how i ended with Sky in the first place, but im willing to try again?

northerntom
    Free Member

we’ve just left BT and had nothing but bad experiences. I wouldn’t go back to them if it was free.

I can’t not recommend them enough.

martinhutch

The thing that will annoy you most is just how long it takes the BT TV box to boot up from standby compared to the Sky box, which is pretty much instantaneous in comparison.

Interface is rubbish compared to sky as well.

Reliable? Well, we could never get any of the extra (non=freeview) channels to work in the first place, or any effort from BT to resolve this.

Oh, and you may well hate Sky, but you seem to have forgotten just how much worse it is dealing with BT Customer services. 😀

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve just moved over to them from Sky. Early days yet but a couple of months in and initial impression is that it is better. I wasn’t on Sky Q or anything, but the box is better, software is better and it works better. Not missing any of the channels I cannot get anymore – with sky it is definitely a case of paying for a lot of crap you don’t need or use.

I’m sure it is probably the case that Sky is still the best, but you don’t half pay for it and it is no longer the only game in town.

Give it a try. Ditch sky, give BT a go, you will be able to get it cheap enough on an introductory offer, if you don’t like it go back to sky as a new customer on a better deal you could have got as a long term customer.

BoardinBob

Absolute garbage. The box is horrifically bad. Wouldn’t touch BT again.

How about Now TV?

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’ve got BT, parents have Sky.

Sky is considerably better, but then again, it would want to be as its considerably more expensive.
    For me my BT kit just works. Just moved to the new box though, so no long term impressions so far.
    I very much hope it continues to just work, as there is a reason BT have a reputation for being the only communication company you cant communicate with at all.

dumbbot
    Free Member

BT box is a clunky heap of shit

smogmonster

Damn, iwas hoping BT experiences would be better…i had a nightmare with them a few years back and had been loath to even consider them, but I equally loath giving Murdoch any of my hard earned cash. Looks like it’ll be the flip of a coin then….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

which i gather come via the internet and not the aerial?

Well, that’s the 21st century for you…

Chromecast dongle in the (non-smart) TV cast to by Google Chromecast on my mobile. Most official apps have Chromecast included and for the rest I just cast my mobile screen.

“Set top box”. Que?

P-Jay
    Free Member

How about Now TV?

This, it’s not perfect – but it’s very good.

Frankly, if you’ve got a decent terrestrial signal and fairly decent bandwidth (you really need 6Mbps on top of whatever else is being used at the time) then it might be all you need.
    Downsides are:
    It’s a sky product so if you want any sports content it’s super expensive because you’re paying for football whether you want it or not.
    You cannot get BT Sport on it, which is a shame because I’ve not really watched MotoGP for years and I used to be a big fan.
    There will be times when you really want to watch a specific show, and you miss the start by 15 mins, you can’t record it so you’ve missed it, it will be available to stream soon, that may be the moment it ends, it might be the next day – but when you do, you don’t get adverts which is nice.
    Oh and there’s a bit of a battle amongst the various streaming providers so not all ‘channels’ are available on all devices – so it’s worth working out what you want to stream – for us that’s NowTV, Netflix and RedBull – so we’ve got an Apple TV.

salad_dodger

Our BT is fine unless you want to watch any TV on catch up in the evening…. Box freezes after about 10 minutes of viewing. Utter bobbins so we’re about to move to Sky.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I had BT TV for three years, can’t think that I used it more than a dozen times. Tried to cancel it at the last renewal but it was £1 cheaper to be on the package that included it than not which makes me think that it’s not a big customer draw.

Actual phone and broadband package has been impeccable for over ten years though, not one problem.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

which i gather come via the internet and not the aerial?

Well, that’s the 21st century for you…

Chromecast dongle in the (non-smart) TV cast to by Google Chromecast on my mobile. Most official apps have Chromecast included and for the rest I just cast my mobile screen.

“Set top box”. Que?

irelanst
    Free Member

We’ve used BT for the last 18 months, not really had any problems with it. I don’t really get the hate for the ‘box’ it’s pretty easy to use and everything seems to work OK.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

We’ve got no issues at,all with Bt. Like,that we changed last year to them.

Sky on the other hand…..who we left.

oldracer
    Free Member

“Set top box”. Que?

Indeed.

BBC.
    C4.
    ITV.
    Amazon.
    Netflix.

All on demand via an app.

A whole slew more of apps available via Apple TV.

The list goes on…..

I can’t see any reason to have a contract with Sky et al unless you must have PL football?? Even that is available PPV..

iancity1
    Free Member

If you do go to BT, make sure you go through Quidco first. Dead simple to use and the offers are excellent. When I went to BT I got £200 cashback, think the offer is nearer £120 now but they change all the time …

skids
    Free Member

If you want sports go thru BT it’s much cheaper, you can get sky sports for £22 month extra

wobbliscott
    Free Member

BT box is a clunky heap of shit

Really? Mine isn’t clunky at all. Its smooth, responsive and on screen graphics are very nice. How old is your box? My Sky box was about 4 years old so not the latest and greatest and comparing to the latest 4k BT box, so not quite apples with apples, but my Sky box crashed all the time, often recordings failed or were corrupted. Rang sky multiple times, they fobbed me off with some remote software update shenanigans that only temporarily improved things before reverting back to form. They kept saying the boxes have a design life of 10 years so wasn’t eligible for a free upgrade or out of warranty replacement – WTF??? what electronic product has a design life of 10 years these days??? I was with Sky for over 15 years and they couldn’t be arsed to do anything for me so screw them.

My dad’s got Sky Q – its very nice…but I should F’ing hope so as he’s paying over £600 a year for the privilege (multi room and some other upgrades), but its unreliable and despite Sky’s best efforts they have failed to fix it, which really is not good enough for a premium product.

yiman
    Free Member

Rubbish. BT failed to transfer our number despite telling us they could. Forced us to have a new number, but neglected to give us the ability to receive incoming calls, but refused to reduce their charges for a service we weren’t getting. Charged us for the equipment because we left a few days early, then sent us an SAE for us to return the equipment we’d paid for to them for “recycling”.

Will never use again.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Considering BT TV – who uses it?’ is closed to new replies.