Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • considering an Ibis tranny, any opinions? and show me yours….
  • jae
    Free Member

im considering an ibis tranny. does anyone own one/got info or pics of their set up.
    seen the stw test reveiw and looking for more info from a users perspective…
    an i silly considering this over a ti frame eg linskey soda,456 ect…

advise please folks!

edd

A very nice versatile bike I'm sure but for that money you can get an Indy Fab Deluxe…

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I've had a short ride on one,be careful on sizing,the test bike was medium and I felt cramped I'm 5'10".A bit pricey,but lovely looking bikes. I rode a green one and they've got a "natural" carbon one in the shop

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I have had a medium for nearly a year now and it feels perfect on my 5'10"

here it is;

<8kg hardtail? coming up!

hmmm, carbon underpaints

sinse those pictures I swapped the fork out for a SID and it's much better balanced now

the ride is great, really whippy yet stiff. over small stutterbumps and cobbles, you'd be forgiven for thinking it is a soft tail. accellerates like nothing I've ridden before, although the stiff wheelset (Easton XCOnes) may have something to do with that.

Value for money I'd have to say you're paying a premium, you need to decide if it's worth it to you, you're in cheap titanium terretory here. I got mine in Canada but only because there were none available in Europe at the time, the distributor's prices weren't too bad (unlike Evil, for example).

The weight is not as low as they claim, mine was bang on 1500gr (Ibis claim 1350, i expect for naked in small) but that's still a good weigth for a bike stiff enough to singlespeed and race 4x on

the Jukebox (Ibis' name for their adjustible chainstay system) works well enough and has teh advantage that you can dismount the rear triangle for shipping in a small box (so avoiding airline charges) but for me it's over complex, slotted dropouts or one of the pivoting / slidey solutions would be both simpler and lighter IMO. Also, you need to take the crank off to get the lower bolt out so it's not something that you're going to do to fit it in the back of your corsa although with a shim HT2 crank this might be easy enough (I have an ISIS)

on the indy fab note, mate of mine has a custom titanium indy fab and when you look at them and ride them side by side, you'd say they're in the same league so perhaps the pricing isn't so far off afterall

if you want to spend less money, I'd have a look at the upcoming on-one carbon frames, which look like they're about to embarrass the market (yet again)

jae
    Free Member

brilliant feedback guys!
    freegan bikefascist,great insight to the practicalitys of the frame
    iv been chasing the hardtail holy grail for a while,from zaskar le,thru orange subzero,yeti dj,chameleon,dmr trailstar,swichback,cove handjob ect and have never been satisfied.the tranny seems wonderful in theory.i suppose what i really want is a titanium evil sovereign.
    a naked carbon tranny sounds amazing,expensive and slightly disturbing tho

anyone got an opinion on a van nicholas mamtor?

im reluctant tho cos mr van nicholas in his previous airbourne guise treated me like and ass hole when i spoke to him on the phone.

oxnop
    Free Member

i was looking at the mamtor last year but reviews/geometry put me off (steep HA/long fork)

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

a titanium evil sovereign.

oops, I appear to have messed myself…. 😳

I have an 853 Sovereign aswell and it is the bloody nuts. In fact if I was forced to chose between the 2 I'd go with the sov as, although heavy, it's just sooooo flexible and nothing is beyond it's capabilities (although much is beyond mine) the only time I feel out of sorts on the sov is riding in my local woods, when it feels like I'm dragging too much bike around.

nuke

Still considering a Tranny…if I can find one a bit cheaper…but anyone know what the max fork is for it? It says 'Optimised for 100mm' but wondered if it could take a bit more 😕

Joxster
    Free Member

Buy One, Buy One!!!! Bet you can't guess what my next bike will be 8)

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

nuke was wondering about longer forks etc myself but most of the reviews and info seems to suggest they are for 100mm, I could be wrong though…

Joxster
    Free Member

I think it's safe up to a 120mm fork, but it could be a Dr Pepper moment 😉

nuke

Cheers chaps. 120mm would be good…might email 2Pure to check. Be nice to dial out the travel to 120 on the bigger downs…something like Reba U-Turns would be good particularly with maxle.

nuke

From this very website….

"120mm is the maximum travel advised for a good ride, as well as in terms of warranty."

http://www.singletrackworld.com/reviews/long-termers-team-singletracks-ibis-tranny/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘considering an Ibis tranny, any opinions? and show me yours….’ is closed to new replies.