Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Considering a shorter working week, advice re negotiations pls
  • Trekster

Work in a factory maint team(fitter)currently depleted to 2 + 1 contractor.
    I am in the situation where I could have retired in August, still enjoy my work so continue to do so.
    I can “retire” any time I wish.
    I am applying to work a 4 day week from next year.
    There is a lot going on ATM , company is in the throes of a merger with another, both large “world” companies (i.e. USA)
    Budgets are being trimmed etc
    Losing staff to another multinational who are recruiting staff for a new venture, we are recruiting(taking on our contractors!!)
    Lots of inter plant politics!!!!!

Had a look at CAB and ACAS info which is good and along the lines of my thoughts but are more in line with “desk jockeys) rather than someone like myself “on the tools” i.e. I cannot “hotdesk” etc…..

Any thoughts????

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Swap to contract? Better rate but less certainty so you work when they need you but take longer periods off?

Trekster

Got to be on a ” preferred” contractor list….
    Company policy is “not” to use contractors!!!! That may be/is the case elsewhere in the business but not here in the U.K.!!!!!
    + I’m not important enough 😉

jimdubleyou

+ I’m not important enough

You will be when nobody else knows how to do your job…

tjagain

From what I know you really don’t have any rights here nor can I offer any advice other than to ask nicely and make a case around transferring your skills / finding full time hard but want to keep on working, your value to the team ie half a cake is better than none for your employer

In my line of work people retire then come back on zero hours contracts

frankconway

Do you work a shift pattern or straight days?
    How is your working week defined in your contract?
    I’m thinking…if double day shift you could suggest a 9 day fortnight.
    If straight days, could you do weekly hours in 4 days and retain current salary?
    Line up some options for employer to consider and, possibly, offer to provide a call-out service on a £ retainer.
    So if you agree 4 day week you could offer call-out service for your non-working day every other week.

ElVino

Get a medical reason, easiest way. I have encountered a fair few people who needed to reduce their hours because of the need for an extra days rest. Being required to care for someone in the family is also another good reason rarely refused.

eckinspain
    Free Member

If the company are looking to trim costs and you are offering to work fewer hours and therefore be paid less then I imagine they will be open to it, especially as they aren’t losing your experience (and they’ll imagine you can do 5 days work in 4 days anyway!)

I really don’t agree with making up a medical reason or pretending to care for a member of the family – firstly it’s dishonest and secondly and they could use it as a reason to reduce your hours even further.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Considering a shorter working week, advice re negotiations pls’ is closed to new replies.