Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • …..considering a new combi boiler………what is a good price?
  • moniex
    Free Member

We have a 10 year old combi boiler in the kitchen and would like a new one in the cupboard under the stairs.

We got one price for about £3600 from a local company, this did NOT include getting the cupboard ready for installation (putting up fireproof board and blocking window).

The cupboard already has the electricity board in it and there is a cold water supply and some heating pipes already in there too. Also the main gas meter is just outside…..Sounds like a straight forward job to me, but what do I know.

I was expecting to pay about £1000 less, am I out of touch?

Simone

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does appear a lot. Decent quality boilers appear to be £1k – £1.5k

We had large 3 bed semi completely redone (including rads) 2 years ago and it came to £5k.

Just while your at it, get a remote cordless thermostat eg Honeywell CM927. Save you money and make it easier to get temps right.

moniex
    Free Member

the quote did include cordless thermostat, not sure about it though, i can see that getting lost all the time like the remote.

…so sounds a lot then, that’s what i thought…

we are in norwich btw if that makes a difference at all?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I had a Weissmann installed last year – came to about £1900 – but that was in the same place as the old boiler – no rads but full system including wireless thermostat

moniex
    Free Member

that sounds more like it! we expected to pay about £2500 ish.

sugdenr
    Free Member

+1 Weissmann, get the 100 – same but less bells and whistles. 900 all in for 33kw year ago. Installed myself.

[Edit – oh and depends where you are but I ballpark 400-600 for same place re-installation]

letmetalktomark

I’m just over the border in Suffolk.

We had a similar priced quote to the OP 😕 We weren’t having ours moved but needed a new gas feed from the meter.

Putting this off for a bit now though 😆

RustyMac

Do you have a friendly plumber that could install the boiler for you?

One of the guys at my work got his brother a qualified plumber to install his boiler, boiler was bought from

http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/

Wireless controll units are not that expensive. I have a Salus model like the one in the link below, It is easy to program and shouildn’t const any more thatn the unit to get it installed at the same time as a boiler.

http://www.heatingcontrolsonline.co.uk/salus-rt500rf-wireless-programmable-room-thermostat-p-290.html

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“+1 Weissmann, get the 100 – same but less bells and whistles. 900 all in for 33kw year ago. Installed myself.”

Thats what we got, but in 35kw flavour with external temperature sensor and Honeywell remote. Very pleased with it so far, and the external temp sensor really does make a difference to how hard the boiler works. Don’t even consider NOT getting a remote thermostat.

I think we were quoted circa £1,200 for the boiler alone.

Weissmann have 5 year parts & labour too.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

we had one of these fitted just over 18 months ago.

all in it came to just over £1,700, this was a local firm who were known not to be the cheapest but the best.

this was with a wireless thermostat, taking away the old boiler, moving the new boiler to another wall.

alanl
    Free Member

£3600 is taking the pee.
    Anything over £2000 is too much.
    Boiler, £800-1200, pipes and fittings, £200, labour, what, 2 people on £150/200/day? £400 max.

I fitted my own last year, cost me £400 total. I did get a boiler for £300 which helps.

We fitted a new boiler last week, like for like swap of a standard boiler, non-pressurised, took 2 of us 5 hours start to finish. Total cost £1200, which was pretty good I think.
    I was on £100/day, my mate was on £300, as he supplied it, and guarantees it etc. Boiler was just under £800, a Glowworm.

Why fireproof wall? Modern boilers are made to be fitted in cupboards, so shouldnt need any extra fire protection.

totalshell

i’d expect to charge just under 2k for a worcester bosch wireless controls etc etc.. top dollar gear.. anything less quality than that might bring it down 2- 300 quid…

Bear
    Free Member

Seems expensive to me too, but always wary of trying to compare an estimate over the internet. Get more than one quote but don’t necessarily go for the cheapest.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I paid best part of £2000 a few years ago mates rates to have a combi installed in place of a conventional boiler – all good quality kit and a complex installation tho

totalshell

to revisit.. sound like a simple enough installation in an enclosed space. the mounting does not have to be fire proof and you should not have to do any prior work unless you want it doing cheaper but get quotes for all or part works to see if it really is of any value you doing part works..

moniex
    Free Member

I phoned building inspector and he said the bottom of the stairs will need to have half hour fire board installed. It is a 30’s house with the original plaster stuck to the stairs so could do with re doing anyway as it is all falling off.

The small window will need blocking up so the pipes can go out that way.

We dont mind having these bits done by our friend who is a builder.

I think I will get some more quotes, maybe the bloke just did not fancy doing it. We do not HAVE to replace it as the “old” boiler is just under 10 years old and working, it just takes up a lot of space in our small kitchen.

Any oppinions on what boiler to go for? We have 4 beds incl the loft so about 12 radiators…

We have a vokera at the moment, would not go for one of these again…

Simone

alanl
    Free Member

We have been fitting Glowworms for the past 2 years, but they are soon to be dropped by us, as their software is a nightmare to get working, and if used with one fo their own wiring centres, the boilers do not work if the date is set to 2012 – Glowworm know about it, but have doen nothing to remedy it. There is also a software fault when using the software on wiring centres that needs to be reset, yet they do not include the instructions with new boilers, even though they have known of this fault for over a year. Also, try ringing their Tech Helpline – a real waste of time, either they do not answer, or, the bloke on the other end knows nothing baout the fault.

So, we have been looking at Intergas recenty:
    http://www.intergasheating.co.uk/site.php?page=combicompacthre

Their sales talk sounds good – very few moving parts which can only be a good thing.
    Reasonably priced too, I’d say the 36/30 would be ideal for you, maybe too large?, at around £850 inc. vat. Thats very competitive.
    Alan.

moniex
    Free Member

thanks Alan, I will have look into those. You dont fit boilers in Norwich by any chance?

alanl
    Free Member

No, sorry, Leicester.
    I think it’s a bit too far for us travel, we’d do 50 miles, but 100+ is not on, sorry.
    Alan.

moniex
    Free Member

No worries Alan, was worth a try. Thanks very much for your advice.

Simone

totalshell

that is an interesting conversation with your building inspector as there are no regulations relating to boiler installation other than the boiler manufacturers and the gas regs. and there is no reference anywhere in either to fire board.
    i’d ask the inspector to reference the regulation as i dont believe that it exists as he / she has quoted it..

Konastoner
    Free Member

I bought a 38kw Ariston E Combi 38FF He for £670 online, had it installed it in the attic with a whole new gas supply around the house. All in for £1100 with a a new rad in the conservatory.

serge
    Free Member

buy one from discount heating, we got a bosch

http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/

never found a cheaper on line price and we have had all new boiler and radiators in our house.

find a plumber, get him to give you a quote for fitting and if he is happy for you to source all the parts if he lists them for you.

our plumber said that he could not get the parts as cheap from his trade suppliers and thats without his cut on top.

always had great service form them,

wee did our house for around 2 grand with me helping the plumber to keep labour costs down.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘…..considering a new combi boiler………what is a good price?’ is closed to new replies.