Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Conservatory roof problems
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

Part of my kitchen has a conservatory-style pitched roof with glass panels which leaks in the kind of heavy driving rain we had last night. It leaks at the junction of the highest point of the glass pitched roof and the main wall of the house.

Looking at it in the cold light of day, it seems as if there is a protective strip missing from the top part of the glass roof –

Any builder/glazer/conservatory experts know what this apparently missing component would be called?

Also there are gaps of about 1cm between the lead flashing and the glass where it meets the house – would whacking some silicone type sealant in there stop it leaking or is there some other, better product for this purpose?

Thanks in advance to the singletrack hive mind bodge squad for any advice…

tony24
    Free Member

The groove is usually used to slide in a decorative piece its not going to causr any problems as its moulded. The lead with the gap on the other hand might be leaking due to the gap. Get some lead sealant as normal sealant wont stick well to lead. The leak could be coming from above the units as its not usually very well sealed up there and driving rain and high winds cause leaks.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stef you still daan caahs?
    After the rain last night, im amazed my shed wasnt washed away!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

^ Hi Bigyinn, yeah, still dahn Caahs – haven’t even looked at my shed yet – fingers crossed it’s still there. The weather here yesterday was horrendous. Hurricane Sandy’s wee brother seemed to be in town.

^ Tony, thanks for the reply – I was wondering if water was pooling in the central groove you can see in that white strip and running down into the house. It seems as if it should have at the very least something sloped clipped into it that the water would run off. All the other conservatories I see when I’m out and about or on Google images seem to ahve some kind of strip of phoney ironwork jaggy bits on ’em.

is the lead sealant a silicone style tube of stuff or is it in the form of a tape? Would you get it from your average hardware store?

jerseychaz

Sydenhams should stock it (or can get it), at a pinch Hursts. Best bet is to get the lead re-dressed properly though. I’m surprised that my Conservy rook didn’t leak last night (although the gutter on the front of the house has now broken 🙁

Chaz

PS: Might begin to get out on Saturdays again now I’m not working….

StefMcDef
    Free Member

^ Hi Chaz, you still on the island? I guess all the Yarmouth yachties have flown north for the winter. The Saturday ride guys have been wondering where you disappeared to.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stef, try Hursts in the High St, the men with BO and sweaty shirts usually have everything you could ever need.

jerseychaz

Stef, I’m still on the Island, being seasonal means s**t shifts = Saturdays and Sundays 🙁

I’m now working Friday and Saturday nights 3 w/e out of 4 so should be able to sneak out for a ride some Saturdays, probably won’t make the full trip as I need to spend sometime with SWMBO.

Got the Conservy fixed?

jambalaya
    Free Member

We had a lot of problems with our conservatory roof, to the extent of never again. Our issue was it was very poorly installed by the “subbie” turned out the proper “subbie” was on holiday so his untrained and clueless dad did he job for him, the whole thing was taken down and rebuilt.

Do you know that it was put up properly in the first place ?

Looking at your picture of the roof ridge it would seem rain could easily be driven under the “lead” where it meets the panel dividers ?

mattbee

Ask WCA to take a look. 😉

stumpyjon

Looks like a very old roof and possibly badly assembled. I don’t know of any modern system that has the glazing bar top cappings screwed into the glazing bars. Also odd not to cover the creating channel with something. The others are right about the flashing or it could be coming down the cavity if no cavity trays were installed.

Edukator
    Free Member

Does anyone on STW have a more poorly insulated kitchen? It must be dismal in there on cold days.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Conservatory roof problems’ is closed to new replies.