Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • conservatory heating
  • johnny_met
    Free Member

I’ve just had a conservatory fitted and I’m looking at heating options – any recommendations? Underfloor heating is out of my price range. Thanks.

PePPeR

Don’t forget that by putting heating in a conservatory you can become liable for more council tax.

I’d say underfloor heating if you could tho.

gears_suck
    Free Member

If it’s already built, it might be difficult to fit a rad unless you’re happy with the pipe work on the surface. I’d put electric under floor heating. Very easy and not as expensive as you might think.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Don’t forget that by putting heating in a conservatory you next owner can become liable for more council tax.

I’d say underfloor heating if you could tho.”

Id fit exterior doors to the house and treat it as an outside room during winter and use an oil heater or woodburner if you have the inclination to heat it when you actually use it instead of trying to heat all of your street by pumping heat out the glass all winter long.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Multi fuel stove.
    Or air con unit with heating element fitted.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Aye that one. Multifuel.

Ac unit would be a belter for su,mer. Make it usable…thats one thing that i remember about my parents consevatory.

The only time i liked being in there was in rain storms. Too hot in summer , too cold in winter.

br
    Free Member

I’ve just had a conservatory fitted and I’m looking at heating options – any recommendations? Underfloor heating is out of my price range. Thanks.

Eh?

Wrong way round, budget for underfloor and then build with underfloor – any other option means you either bought a house that already had a (cold) conservatory or you just didn’t think it out properly… 🙄

squirrelking
    Free Member

What trail_rat said.

If it’s not built already I’d seriously consider a sun room over a conservatory, they can be better insulated in the roof meaning they get the light but keep the heat in when cold and heat out when too hot.

Next best thing is well insulated glass, you honestly want the lowest U value possible as otherwise it’s more of a greenhouse than anything else. My folks have the plastic sheeting for a roof and it’s murder, too hot on sunny days, temperature drops like a stone at night and noisy as hell in the slightest drizzle.

Building a conservatory right is expensive but probably not as expensive as heating or cooling a badly designed one over it’s lifetime. As a concept they are great, as actual real buildings they are crap, ever seen a conservatory in a hot country? There’s a reason for that…

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP have you really built the conservatory already, if you have heating options are more limited. ? We had two large double radiators and it was still cold in the middle of winter certainly first thing in the morning. In our experience the conservatory is for Spring and Autumn, whatever heating you put in come Dec-Feb it will be cold.

samuri
    Free Member

We had two large radiators in our old conservatory. Lovely and warm in winter but it did have one wall that was all brick and some quite expensive roof panels.

Summer was the problem, even with the windows and doors open it was always too hot when the sun was out.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/7tDwiG]conservatory[/url] by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

johnny_met
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions – will check out the multi fuel idea

angeldust
    Free Member

I put in a split air con unit to make the room more useable in both winter and summer. Not environmentally friendly, but fairly cheap to install, and effective.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Our house came with an unheated conservatory, so we just use a plug in Delonghi oil radiator. Warm enough in the winter.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘conservatory heating’ is closed to new replies.