Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Consensus on Intense bikes?
  • Johnbot
    Free Member

What is the general feeling towards them? It's never been a make that i have had any experience with or put much thought towards.

Took a Tracer out at Laggan at the weekend and it really put a smile on my face, has got me thinking about whether to pass up an Orange 5 for one…feel free to post a picture of yours 😉

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

i had a 6.6 for a bit and didn't like the way you could twist the back end.

Curly68
    Free Member

I have Intense written through me! At the moment I have a 1995 prototype, 2000 M1, 2002 Uzzi SLX, 2003 Tazer HT and a 2009 Sniper cruiser. On the way from the states is a 2009 Tracer VP and a 2008 Slopestyle. On the way from Edinburgh (hopefully as it is paid for 3 weeks ago!) is a 2003 Tazer FS!
    Reports say that the Tracer is going to be light years better than my Uzzi SLX. Can't wait for it to get here. Can't report on flex though with the new ones.
    Jeff Steber and a few of the Intense staff frequent MTBR.com quite a bit and are always helpful to owners. How many other bosses of bike firms do that?

Talkemada
    Free Member

How many other bosses of bike firms do that?

Can't think of anyone on here that would do that, in order to get loads of free publicity…

I've seen a few Intenseseseses up close, had a go on some, and I fail to see exactly why they cost a bloody fortune. Bog standard welding, not especially light or amazingly better than a lot of other 'big name' manufacturers stuff, and nowt special imo. I considered buying on a few years ago, but on closer inspection, the paint seemed shoddy, and the decals weren't even stuck on properly. Put me right off.

Leku
    Free Member

Now has Revelations on it.

Only had it a few months and really loving it. Just wants you to go faster and faster.

costello
    Free Member

sorry being a muppet i can't do the piccy thing but if you can be bothered to take a peek here's the best bike i've ridden for a l o n g time….. …..(jedinighty777)

it is extremely well poised and rides as though it has more gears than my former slayer,climbs like no other 6 inch bike i've ever ridden,and like a rolls royce, the lines it has give it the impression of speed even when stood still,i often just stare at it in my shed,it's been years since i've done that with my bikes,clearly i love mine!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

As others have said, have a look on the MTBR Intense forum. Gives a pretty good view of what's been going on – some very mixed experiences. There are plenty of other company owners who pipe up on the MTBR forums – Dave Turner, the Transition guys, Knolly, one of the Ibis people, so Steber's prescense isn't that unusual.

I used to have one (Uzzi SL). Fantastic when it worked, but it did have a tendency to break randomly in the middle of nowhere – pivot hardware mainly.

My impression, as I keep looking at the Tracer and Uzzi VP, is that if you get a good one, it'll be great. if you get anything else, it could well be shocking. They're not the stiffest thing around (if that bothers you), and customer service seems to be a bit hit and miss. Not sure what Extra are like to deal with (2 wheel trading were absolutely shocking when I had mine)

costello
    Free Member
    dans160
    Free Member

Loved all of mine but the first tracer vp I had, had issues; which were resolved by the importers. The slopestyle I have now is just bl00dy brilliant. I disagree with the previous post regarding the welds, all of mine have been excellent and so has the paint. The ride is stunning. Love 'em.

Granted they are a bit pricey these days but I bought my current frame from the States and saved a fortune.

dannyboy
    Free Member

I like my Spider 2, have to say the paint is a bit crap in places, but overall still looks good and rides better!

DB

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I've been pondering a similar thing . .

It's hard to see for example, how with the quality issues of late in particular, how a tracer is worth about 700 quid more than a giant reign x 2010 which is about the same weight, has superb suspension qualities, is well built and stiff too!

I know it's somewhat missing the point of a handbuilt frame but based purely on functionality I think it's hard to argue with the big names like Giant (especially as the entry level full bike reign x uses the same frame as the frame only option!)

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

. . . And for the record I have owned a reign and also a foes fxr so have some point of reference ish!

rj
    Free Member

I had a play on an Uzzi (also at Laggan) at the weekend. Climbed a little better than I expected (although I wasn't hoping for much), but was fantastic fun everywhere else. Really plush and scary fast. Not sure I'd be able to justify 2 grand on a frame, though.

jhw
    Free Member

buy a Specialized, job done?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

It's hard to see for example, how with the quality issues of late in particular, how a tracer is worth about 700 quid more than a giant reign x 2010 which is about the same weight, has superb suspension qualities, is well built and stiff too!

Made in a different labour market. Whether you think a welder in the US is better than one in Taiwan is down to you. I've seen some average welding at best on Intense frames that I wouldnt be happy paying premium rates for.

trail_rat
    Free Member

from a workshop point of view id never buy one – ever replaced the bearings on ANY intense ? ive done a fair few from old m1s to modern uzzis and tracers …. ive yet to see a straight one – seen them out as much as 10-20mm – m3s seem to be the worst.

i know very few bikes are straight but intense in my experiance are some of the worst for this.

aP
    Free Member

I've been happy with my Spider FRO which replaced an original Blur. Lighter and sharper which works for me. Stickers are a bit shonky but then I try to look where I'm going rather than down at the bike.

mildred

Maybe my imagination but there often seems to be cracked Intenses knocking around the internet forums. Don't know if its true, but it does seem this way. Maybe Intense owners are more vocal than others????

EDIT: they are gorgeous to look at though.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

If you're going for something pimpy I'd go nicolai every time, the level of precision you get is more in line with how much they cost.

Back end of my socom is WWWAAAAAAAYYYYYY out of line, its pretty comical when you look down the TT and see the back wheel off to one side and leaning a bit!

heihei

I have a Slopestyle which I absolutely love. The way it slings you out of berms and pings you off jumps is awesome, and hugely confidence-inspiring. I'm also looking at getting a Socom for more full-on downhill.

I've heard stuff about frame alignment, and have to admit mine looks a bit off, and there is flex in the rear, but the way it rides is awesome.

mamadirt
    Free Member

On my third Intense frame now and loving it to bits . . . if I could've kept them all I would have but hey, a woman has to move on 😉 . Plenty of info on Tracers (riders reviews, pics and problems/issues/advice) over on the mtbr Intense forum and an opportunity to talk to the guys that make 'em . . . not something you can say about Giant or Spesh.

Johnbot
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’m beginning to think they are the (old) Alpha Romero of bikes – great when they are going, look amazing but can be prone to problems. From a quick bit of research the cost seems to outweigh the potential hassle people have, also customer support from dealers appears ropey. Of course, this is all second hand experience I am going on. Feel free to tell me if that is the wrong impression to have.
    Would hate for it to turn into a what if I got it instead of … though 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member

ill add uk importers are a bit weak and thin on the ground with spares and information …..santa cruz aint no better – ibis might be better now they have a new importer

in that area i dont think you can go wrong with orange – you can PHONE the guys that made them and they are a reasonable chaps !

backhander
    Free Member

Maybe my imagination but there often seems to be cracked Intenses knocking around the internet forum

Not nearly as many as there are lapierres' or commencals.
    I had a 5.5 and it was/is brilliant. I demoed a blur LT and couldn't tell much difference. Great bike.
    They're money no object bikes really, no sane person would take a reign over a tracer (disregarding price).
    Mind you, I've gone over to knolly, which I will ride into the ground. [smug]I'm in the coveted position where I desire no bike more than my own.[/smug]

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

no sane person would take a reign over a tracer

sure it's not the other way round?

dans160
    Free Member

The UK importers in my experience have been superb and any issues I had were dealt with quickly. The issue wih the Tracers and Uzzis cracking appears to be being resolved from what I have read. Mine were both fine with respects to that issue and both got plenty of stick.

They are very pretty and do go very well.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

backhander – Member

Maybe my imagination but there often seems to be cracked Intenses knocking around the internet forum

Not nearly as many as there are lapierres' or commencals.
    I had a 5.5 and it was/is brilliant. I demoed a blur LT and couldn't tell much difference. Great bike.
    They're money no object bikes really, no sane person would take a reign over a tracer (disregarding price).
    Mind you, I've gone over to knolly, which I will ride into the ground. [smug]I'm in the coveted position where I desire no bike more than my own.[/smug]

Go on then – what are the comparative failure rates as a percentage of sales? Or are you guessing based on internet hype and speculation?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Another thumbs up for Extra (UK importers) here – not had any issues with my frames but any queries I've had have been dealt with very quickly indeed.

0pt1cal
    Free Member

I really love intense frames, good build quality and amazing to ride. I have had no problems so far and I've had a 6.6, tracer vp…currently got an uzzi vp and 951. I like to test ride as many bikes as I can and buy what I like…so far the only issues I have had with the frames i have actually bought in the past has been with orange where I experienced terrible customer service and the frames had shocking build quality .

undapressure
    Free Member

I had an Orange 5, sold the frame and got a tracer. Never looked back. Tracer is superb as an all mountain bike (especially with a CCDB). No problems yet and mine has done some fairly burly stuff. Never noticed any rear end flex.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Disregarding the stickers / where its made can we say categorically that the tracer (or any other niche bike) is better than the reign?
    Not saying its true, but i do wonder how much of the "its a brilliant bike" is down to the price tag / low volume manufacture?

backhander
    Free Member

Ivan are you saying that consumer feedack through word of mouth and MTB forum user is not valid?
    Ah, you are a sensitive lapierre owner. I'm sure your BB will be fine….

pedalhead
    Free Member

Mmmm Uzzi VP…

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Word of mouth and internet forums? You're right, a totally cast iron case, no need to find out the actual numbers.

wee-al
    Free Member

Rode an Uzzi at the weekend (also at Laggan). I have to say it was the most emotive bike i have ever ridden. I rode plenty of hugely capable bikes that day, though none of them really moved me. I enjoyed riding them, but in hindsight compared to the Uzzi they were just going through the motions. I honestly can't convey to you how good it made me feel.

However, obviously this is a hugely personal thing and whoever rode it after me might have thought it was gash (though he'd have been wrong, natch)

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

IMO the thing that puts me off all full sus Intenses is the bit of sheet aluminium that connects the seat stay to the shock link. If you grab the saddle and the back wheel, it doesn't take much force to flex the frame.* I always thought it was the achilles heel on my 6.6 and always thought it felt flexy when riding it. I sold it and got a Nomad.

* This experiment is not based on any engineering principles and probably isn't a good indication of anything. Just IMO:

craig1975
    Free Member

Ive had a Tracer VPP for a year and a half now, I managed to brake it last summer.. I have no idea how i did it and it took bloody ages to get it sorted out, I have to say CRC where really helpfull… I love this bike.. especially since i binned the RP23 shock and installed a ISX-6 and put a set of Lyrics on the front, IMO it's a better 6" bike than 4"… But I do have that niggling feeling that It could break again.. I bought mine just before the price increase and saved a couple of hundred bucks.. my main gripe is you get a two year warranty on a nearly 2 grand frame, and to be honest I never thought about the warranty thing till after I broken it.. But over all I love mine and can't see me replacing it for any thing els for a long time (hopefully)

toons
    Free Member

My mates love them; between them they've got 2 Uzzi's, 951 & 3 slope styles.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

Don't know about reliability but I've test ridden the Uzzi, Tracer, 5.5, Spider and Spider 2

The Uzzi wasn't for me
    Tracer was a nice ride but unless I lived in the mountains and was going down more than up, it's too slack / DH oriented for me
    5.5 was nice
    Spider good but a bit rac-ey
    Spider 2 … now that's just right. Nice amount of travel not slack on the angles and can be sprinted out of the saddle

my next bike will likely be a spider 2. in raw (ofc)

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Consensus on Intense bikes?’ is closed to new replies.