Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Connecting iPad mini to TV ?
  • renton
    Free Member

Is it possible to connect an iPad mini to a TV at all.

If so how do I do it ?

Cheers

Steve

IA

Yup, one of these:

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD826ZM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

(and a HDMI cable obviously) or an Apple TV and share the screen/stream over wifi.

Might be able to get a cheaper 3rd party adapter cable, which may or may not work. For the cost of the cable, I’d be looking at an apple TV (if it’s just the one screen you want to hook it to).

rickmeister

We are using a converter thing that has a Lightening connection at one end and an HDMI and another lightening, at the other. This is so you could run it from the mains… works perfectly…

renton
    Free Member

40£ is a bit steep

Any ideas on after market ones that work ?

prawny

Chromecast?

DrJ

Probably a dumb question, but if you connect the iPad and TV, does it Just Work, and display the screen on the TV, or is there Other Stuff you need to do – settings to adjust etc. ??

vinnyeh

Out of curiosity, do those adaptor sallow you to put apps where airplay is disabled eg Sky Go, onto your tv?

DrJ

Out of curiosity, do those adaptor sallow you to put apps where airplay is disabled eg Sky Go, onto your tv?

As far as I can see from the Apple support site, no, but see my question above – I have no clue what I’m talking about … 🙁

peteimpreza

That adaptor will let you “mirror” the ipad on the TV.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad-mini/specs/

funkhouser
    Free Member

whats the idea behind this, looking at photos or something? or to act as a smart tv with Netflix & iplyer etc?

renton
    Free Member

We want to do it as I’ve been given a link to an app called cartoon hd which has loads of movies on. Was hoping to stream these to the TV in the front room.

Will that be possible then with that adaptor linked above ?

Will it be full screen on my TV ?

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have the same app and had the same question. A guy at work has apple TV and he confirmed that you can watch the films via apple TV.
    I have wanted one for a while but never really saw the point until using this app.
    My only concern is that the app seems to good to be true and wonder how long it will work for.

I don’t think the cable is worth buying at £40 when apple TV is only £100 and can do a lot more than just the cable.

mrblobby
    Free Member

No. It works the same way as airplay. If the app doesn’t support airplay then the cable won’t work.

Edit: just to add that I have both the cable and Apple TV. Cable is great when on holiday for example. If you can play it via Apple TV then you can play it via the cable. If you can’t then it won’t.

YoGrant
    Free Member

you can pick up a new apple tv for £73. Well worth it as you can link your phone, iPad etc all to the telly

vinnyeh

Ah thanks.

TiRed

Apple TV via Airplay was designed specifically for this task. Streaming BBC iPlayer to the front TV is seamless, even from 2G iPod Shuffle. Apple TC connects to the TV with an HDMI cable.

renton
    Free Member

Im not sure I need Apple tv to be honest, I already have a playstation that has iplayer etc on.

bruneep

My sky go app won’t let me broadcast via hdmi cable

prawny

Sky go won’t work with anything other than the screen on the device. And it won’t work with rooted android devices incase you try and get round it. Bit of a shame really, but I suppose then they wouldn’t be able to hammer you for an extra tenner a month for multiroom.

I tried an hdmi cable with my phone for when we were on holiday but no joy, fine with everything else but no sky go.

simonhbacon
    Free Member

Later apple mobile products allow you to mirror the screen to the Apple TV via Airplay.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5209

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Connecting iPad mini to TV ?’ is closed to new replies.