• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Connecting AV kit
  • verses

I currently have a BluRay and PVR connected to my TV. Both connect to the TV using HDMI. I’d like to set them up to send audio to the hifi.

All 3 have digital optical audio out. Rather than connecting each device to the stereo, presumably I can just use the optical out from the TV to the stereo, and whichever input the TV is displaying will be heard through the stereo. Is that correct? If so, why does each device have it’s own output?

#WoofersAndTweetersGrandad

somouk
    Free Member

That is how I have mine setup so whatever is on the TV is sent to the amplifier.

They all have their own output incase you wish to split the signal somehow, for example video over HDMI then audio via optical direct to an amplifier, if your TV didn’t have optical out. Give you options when configuring setups.

verses

Thanks for that. Makes sense 🙂

Cougar

You’d need to have an optical output (specifically, not just an optical input) on the TV, and the TV would need to support downmixing from the HDMI audio to the lower-spec TOSlink.

stevehine

Depends on what you want to achieve.

Just bear in mind that the HDMI standard means that the TV can only output a 2 channel signal over optical; even if it’s receiving a 5.1 signal from the source device.

So if your aim is to have a surround sound amp, go direct.

If you notice any propagation delay after you’ve plugged in via the TV you might also have to go direct.

VanMan
    Free Member

If it is a AV amp you have does it not support HDMI switching? That way you can feed the image, via the amp, to the TV.

stevehine

VanMan makes a good point – just buy an amp that does HDMI switching; problem solved ! 🙂

Though if you’ve already got the amp and it doesn’t do HDMI signalling; then go direct..

Cougar

It’s what I did, replaced a complex rat’s nest of audio and video interconnects with a HDMI-capable receiver and half a dozen HDMI cables.

But, by “hifi” I assumed the OP was talking about an audio amp rather than an AV receiver.

jimdubleyou

Just bear in mind that the HDMI standard means that the TV can only output a 2 channel signal over optical; even if it’s receiving a 5.1 signal from the source device.

I was most disappointed when I found this out.

verses

Yup it’s a ‘basic’ compact Denon all in one job.

No surround speakers so happy enough with 2.0 down sampling.

Propagation delay would be a pain but at least I should be able to work around by patching direct…

Cable ordered.

Thanks for the pointers.

verses

Cable arrived yesterday. Patched directly from the TV to the stereo and all inputs are playing perfectly.

Thanks for the advice.

IHN

Did you go for the directional Optical cable? 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Connecting AV kit’ is closed to new replies.