Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Connecting a second TV to a HDD recorder
  • timbur
    Free Member

Anyone an expert on this? Got a Pioneer HDD and would like the TV I just put in the study upstairs to link to it. Can I just run a coaxil cable from a splitter between the TV and HDD?

How about using a Digi Eye. Is it simply a case of running it in-line between the splitter and the TV upstairs?

Cheers

Tim

ton

tim, has the hdd got a rf2 output on the back.

timbur
    Free Member

rf2? I’ll check the manual as I’ve no idea!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ton

tim, why do you want it to both t.vs.
    to record??

uplink
    Free Member

The Pioneer I have just has the normal single output UHF tuner

You could do it with a modulator taking the A/V from one of the unused outputs
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=33050

& then a coax up to the 2nd TV

timbur
    Free Member

It appears not.

I’ve got a RF (in) and a RF (out).

Can I split the RF (out)?

timbur
    Free Member

Tom – we recorded everything we watch (saves watching ads!) and it would be good to be able to watch in the upstairs room sometimes (especially when she’s entertaining her friends and I’m stuck in)

I’ve got a Digital Audio Out, is that of use?

timbur
    Free Member

Tom = Ton (or Tony) Sorry :O)

uplink
    Free Member

Can I split the RF (out)?

Yes get a twin output UHF setback amp – Argos have them

part number 534/6147

You’ll also need a ‘magic eye’ thingy for the remote

ton

tim,what you need is a hdmi splitter.
    a uhf splitter will not show recorded stuff.

timbur
    Free Member

Ton – I havent got a HDMI socket on the tele!

I’ve got an AV2 scart spare. Any use?

What about a wireless AV jobby? Any good?

timbur
    Free Member

Or on the HDD for that matter. Sorry, I’m a numpty with electronics.

dave_aber
    Free Member

How are you connecting the HDD recorder to your first TV?

The norm would be to use a SCART lead for this – higher quality – which leaves your RF out free to feed the far away telly.

As for the ‘magic eye’ – These are used to feed remote signals back down the Co-Ax wire to a Sky digibox. To make this work with a HDD recorder, you would first need to make sure that the HDD recorder feeds a voltage out of the RF out (9v) to power the eye, and that the HDD recorder can actually accept remote signals in via the RF out.

If the HDD recorder doesn’t support this, try a set of these :
    http://www.sparky-uk.com/one-for-all-wireless-remote-extender-sv-1000-55-p.asp

Also, most ‘video senders’ have a facility to send back the remote signal – and with these you wouldn’t need to run the cable to the second telly.

All depends on the available outputs on the HDD recorder, and what the remote and local tellys can accept.

timbur
    Free Member

(sticks head behind tele)

Right, the ariel cable goes into Antenna (digital) IN, then there’s a small cable going from the Antenna (Digital) OUT to the Antenna (RF) IN and a cable going from the Antenna (RF) OUT going to the TV. We run Guide Plus on it to aid recording and this was the way the manual said to set it up.

Still got a spare Scart so the Wireless AV units are looking good. It appears they’ll work the remote from upstairs as well!?!?

timbur
    Free Member

Oh, thtere’s a Scart going from the HDD to the TV as well. Forgot to mention that.

Did I say I’m hopeless with electronics?

dave_aber
    Free Member

Tim,

The natural choice would be to use the scart for the local telly. But – there’s no problem doing it the way you have it now.

AV extenders will work fine – unless you are going through a lot of house/stone walls etc. If it’s just upstairs then there should be no problem.

Obviously, you will need a scart socket on the far away telly – should be one unless it’s very old…

These sort of things are OK.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Family.aspx?Menu=1605&worldid=-9

I have a cheaper set I got from Maplin a while ago which are basically the size of a scart plug – they stick out a bit, but are all in a single ‘lump’ that plugs into the scarts each end. Not the best in terms of signal strength, but worked fine for me.

dave_aber
    Free Member

Ah. OK, do you watch the recorded / live programs on the downstairs telly on AV or on a ‘channel’?

You only need either the scart (AV) or the RF (Channels) connected to the telly.

You can split the RF using a basic passive splitter (Cheap – lowers the signal) or a Amplified splitter (Expensive, lowers the signal but not as much). Still doesn’t give you a remote control path back though.

Personally, I use amplified RF distribution round the house, and scart locally at the ‘good’ telly. And a stand-alone wireless remote sender to send the remote signals back to the kit (Sky digibox in my case)

timbur
    Free Member

Cool chaps, thanks.

Is there a “better” wireless option. They all quote 2.4mhz. Is there a stronger/less interferred with channel?

It’s only got to go 4-5m through the floor I guess.

Cheers

Tim

timbur
    Free Member

Oddly we watch terrestial via the channels on the tele and digial on AV via the HDD. Why, I don’t know as digital has terrestial as well.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Connecting a second TV to a HDD recorder’ is closed to new replies.