Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Connecting A PS3 (old chunky one) to the internet?
  • walleater

I’ve dusted off the old PS3 to play some GT5 and can’t for the life of me remember how to connect to the internet! How hard can it possibly be??

I firstly assumed it had a wi-fi connection (ha ha…) and have now connected it to the router via the LAN connection, and neither work… I remember the connectivity sucking before but at least it would connect.

Before I throw it off the balcony or spend an our finding and reading instructions I thought I’d see on here as I can only assume I’m missing something really obvious.

AdamW
    Free Member

Under settings in the XMB you can choose the network and whether you are using wired or non-wired. Always been thus.

Here’s what Sony say: https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/261

walleater

Thanks! That sort of worked. Now I need a system update and the **** thing freezes every time I end up in the PS Store when trying to find how to do the update. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!! Almost makes me pine for my Acorn Electron….

AdamW
    Free Member

To get the update go to ‘settings’ in the XMB and there should be an ‘update’ app there – don’t go to PS Store (it shouldn’t let you).

Edit:

Seen this on sony:

System Update – If your PS3 is online, the most straightforward way to update the system software is using the PlayStation 3 itself. Navigate to Settings on the PS3 Home Menu, select [System Update] and then [Update via Internet] and your PS3 will check if you have the latest version. If not, it will download and install it for you.

walleater

The PS3 would just freeze when I was trying to scroll past the Store screen and I’d have to turn it off, resulting some reformatting action. I’ve finally updated the PS3 and now I’ve got to carry out 22 updates on GT5 LOLWTF…..

sbob
    Free Member

I’ve got an old PS3 and it connects fine, wireless or wired (although wireless it is quite slow).
    What have you done wrong? 😆
    Just changed from wireless to wired and it was as easy as plugging the cable in…

walleater

I don’t know if the fact that the router was changed since I last had the PS3 connected? Either way, disconnecting the connection in Settings, and then re-connecting did the job.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Connecting A PS3 (old chunky one) to the internet?’ is closed to new replies.