Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Conkers
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Back in the day, after a mishap with a kebab skewer, all conker treatment was undertaken by my mother, and they were returned to us strung and ready to go. I’ve found a load of pristine ones – exciting for a Highland resident because we don’t get them up there – so I was wondering, what is the current best practice in preparing conkers for battle before I give them to the boys? Ours used to go in the oven for a bit, but this was 30 years ago.

alexxx
    Free Member

Vinegar I believe and some airing cupboard / oven treatment. I personally prefer injecting them with epoxy 😉

Cletus

Solid lead replica natch

Drac

Ours used to go in the oven for a bit, but this was 30 years ago.

They’re probably a bit over done now.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve got Araldite in the garage, whereas I would have to steal lead from the neighbour’s roof.

thegreatape
    Free Member

They’re probably a bit over done now

Walked straight into that one didn’t I!

Drac

😀

dovebiker

Having spent my childhood in Scotland where conkers were a rarity I’d have been overjoyed at the absolute glut here in the south, where there’s been a bumper crop this year

thegreatape
    Free Member

Perhaps some sort of export/import enterprise to be set up 🙂

edhornby

Oven makes them too brittle, vinegar does nothing just string em

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

It’s more about technique. Attrition = repeat smacked knuckles and tangled string. Then go for the kill.

5thElefant
    Free Member

We’d hollow them out and pour in molten lead (melted on my mate’s mum’s kitchen stove).

CountZero

Bugger messing about with vinegar, etc, this is what you need!

Ceramic conkers, drilling the hole for the string might be an issue, though…

scaredypants

There’s some sort of viral/fungal blight thingy doing the rounds isn’t there ? I’ll be gutted if they die out; one of my favourite autumn smells is shedding HC trees 🙁

senorj

The pesky Horse chestnut leaf miner moth no less!

http://www.conkertreescience.org.uk/threats

stevied
    Free Member

The kids loved collecting them this year and we got a big bag full. Unfortunately, at 2 and 4, they didn’t quite get the idea of how to play so…

The wife and I now have a game once the kids are in bed.

4:1 to me so far.. 😀

maccruiskeen

Perhaps some sort of export/import enterprise to be set up

In return we could smuggle hosepipes over the border next time theres a ban.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Definitely.

natrix
    Free Member

The kids loved collecting them this year and we got a big bag full. Unfortunately, at 2 and 4, they didn’t quite get the idea of how to play so..The wife and I now have a game once the kids are in bed

Same here,although our two are a bit older, but still not old enough.

I find it a lot harder to get a good hit than I remember, our games drag on for ages with neither conker even cracking (no preparation, baking, vinegar etc).

ahwiles
    Free Member

natrix – Member

our games drag on for ages with neither conker even cracking (no preparation, baking, vinegar etc).

try it again, pretending that you’re 8 years old, and you really don’t care if you conker your mate in the face with an overly-energetic strike.

gonzy
    Free Member

collected about 20 of them with the kids last week..i would have had more but i didnt have anything other than pockets t carry them
    best bit was hoofing the football into the tree to knock them loose!

just need to make the holes in the them and then battle between me, the wife and gonzy 1 will commence!!

natrix
    Free Member

try it again, pretending that you’re 8 years old, you really don’t care if you conker your mate in the face with an overly-energetic strike.

As marriage guidance goes that’s a gem :mrgreen:

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Conkers’ is closed to new replies.