Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Conjunctivitus – reassure me.
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

I woke up with one red eye on Thursday Morning.

HHS website says see Doctor if it doesn’t get better in 7 days.

I’m starting to wonder if I have the Viral version rather than the Bacterial version because:

a) For a two weeks previously I’d have a fairly nasty chesty cough/man flu.

b) I bought some anti-bacterial eye drops yesterday and they don’t seem to have made much difference.

Today I noticed the white of the affected eyeball has a large blister.

Is the Viral version *really* bad? The first google hit was to the Daily Mail which hysterically warned of permanent eye damage and 8 week recovery times as opposed to a couple of days from the bacterial version.

I’m fully up to date with my Cat Aids shots so that can be ruled out.

outofbreath
    Free Member

PS: Eyeballs blister?! What the actual ****. Who knew?

billyboy
    Free Member

Get thee to a doctor sharpish

vickypea
    Free Member

It could be a corneal ulcer. Mr Pea had one, you should get it seen at A & E TODAY.

Obviously I’m not diagnosing it as a corneal ulcer but IF it is one, they can damage your sight. A&E wouldn’t think you were wasting their time. Alternatively go to an optician if you have one local that’s open on Sundays.

flossie
    Free Member

I’ve had several corneal ulcers, each started with conjunctivitis which I tried to treat with chlorenfenicol drops from the chemist. When it didn’t clear up I called at the opticians (you wouldn’t go to the doctors with toothache) who had a thorough look and made me an immediate emergency appointment at the hospitals eye clinic.
    They treated my eye with strong antibiotic drops and all’s well now.
    DONT TAKE CHANCES WIYH YOUR EYES!
    Corneal ulcers look like a white spot on the coloured part of you eye and feel like you have something gritty in there. No eye dear (sorry) if that’s what you have, but don’t risk it.

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.
    Floss (aka Mr Pea)

legend
    Free Member

Could be various things, including a pterygium (like wot I have) or a pinguecula, both of which are fairly harmless. A quick trip to an optician can actually be very useful instead of a GP

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Our local hospital has an eye clinic that provides emergency services, and a number to call on their website that will get you through to a Nurse in the clinic who will provide advice.

Yours may do the same. Phone them and see what they say.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As above, go to A&E. if they say its not serious get a GP appointment

outofbreath
    Free Member

The NHS website is pretty clear about leaving it 7 days before going to Doc, and the Pharmacist who sold me the Anti Bacterial Eye drops yesterday didn’t seem concerned.

STW seems to think I should be getting attention ASAP. Am I missing something?

vickypea
    Free Member

You’ve diagnosed yourself with conjunctivitis but the NHS website doesn’t mention blisters on the eye as a symptom of conjunctivitis.
    If your eye is painful or sensitive to light I would get it seen to.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Why take the risk OP, its your eyes.

outofbreath
    Free Member

OK, thanks all.

Jamie
    Free Member

Today I noticed the white of the affected eyeball has a large blister.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Ta all. Out of hours GP is going to take a look tonight.

greentricky
    Free Member

Currently have an eye infection, get them several times a year.this one is far more painful than I normally remember, want to scratch my eye out but drops always sort it out after several days. Blister on eye would have me panicking and going to seek professional guidance

outofbreath
    Free Member

Saw out of hours doc. Very quiet there so I don’t think I wasted anyone’s time.

Verdict is Conjunctivitis, he thought probably viral due to lack of puss etc.

Thanks everyone.

shermer75
    Free Member

So it is viral, but viral is not that bad after all? Is that the verdict? 🙂

outofbreath
    Free Member

Are you implying the daily mail would big up the consequences of a minor everyday ailment to sell copies? That’s an outrageous suggestion.

vickypea
    Free Member

Sorry if we alarmed you, but it was the “blister” that made me think you should see a doctor or optician.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Sorry if we alarmed you, but it was the “blister” that made me think you should see a doctor or optician.

I really appreciate it. Your comment: “the NHS website doesn’t mention blisters on the eye as a symptom of conjunctivitis.” was the motivation I needed.

vickypea
    Free Member

Better the inconvenience of seeing the dr and finding out it’s ok than risking it with eyes.
    Mr Pea has had 3 corneal ulcers and they look very small and innocuous but they can rapidly damage your sight. Also our cat got a scratched cornea and had to have surgery to save her eye.

chewkw
    Free Member

I think I had that last year when my eyes became completely red over night. Not sure where I got them from …

Wait until the doctor give you the eye drops that make your pupils dilate you will so sensitive to light you might as well stay home to sleep.

Took about 2 weeks to clear …

batfink
    Free Member

sorry – late to this, but:

I used to work in ophthalmology research, and when I had conjunctivitis the medic advised me that the drops were a complete waste of time – you need ointment.

They both have the same active ingredient (chloramphenicol), but the ointment is much more effective as it stays “on site” for longer – the drops get washed-out fairly quickly.

I’ve had it a couple of times since then, and just go to the pharmacist and ask for choramphenicol ointment. Usually gone within 24-48 hrs.

chewkw
    Free Member

Batfink,

I think I was given Brolene eye drops that is for minor eye infections. Active ingredient Propamidine Isetionate.

Actually I was given two different eye drops if I can remember.

flossie
    Free Member

How’s your eye OB?
    Hope you’re on the mend.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks for asking. Started to noticeably improve yesterday morning and now feels fine, but still looks a bit scary! I think the 10 day estimate for a full recovery is scarily accurate.

So I’m sure conjunctivitis can be bad news for a tiny percentage of people, but looks like for most (me!) it’s utterly trivial.

Serves me right for googling horror stories.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If theres blisters and youre in London go straight to Moorfields eye hospital, they will treat you on an emergency basis without a referral as will any otger eye hospital or clinic.

njee20
    Free Member

If theres blisters and youre in London go straight to Moorfields eye hospital, they will treat you on an emergency basis without a referral as will any otger eye hospital or clinic.

Man reads first post and responds with irrelevant comment. Full story at 11.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Conjunctivitus – reassure me.’ is closed to new replies.