Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Coniston old Man to Coniston via Low Water
  • rickmeister

Looking on Google Earth for something to do tomorrow… Anyone ridden this? Looks good on the GE photo’s as long as the slate doesnt shred the tyres….

Thanks

catfood
    Free Member

Dunno if its the same route but some guys were coming down the Old Man as I was walking up it last summer, take plenty of suspension and body armour if I were you.

lowey

If you mean the direct descent to the quarries at lows water, forget it.

http://www.dave-lowe.fotopic.net/p51071189.html

http://www.dave-lowe.fotopic.net/p51071193.html

zokes
    Free Member

That looks quite good actually!

james
    Free Member

Are they the ‘worst’ bits

It looks awesome

Drac

Why forget it that looks superb, smoother than Walna Scar once was.

rickmeister

Hmm, will be having a look tonight…. Thanks

D0NK

That does look fun, sketchy as hell but fun.
    Unfortunatley looks like its all footpath there and while I’m not averse to a bit of cheek a full on 1-2hr climb and descent all on footpath might be taking the piss a bit.

DavidM
    Free Member

Let us know how it goes? Walked up a few summers ago and thought it would be ace on a quiet evening. I thought there where one or two bits that looked a tad impossible pour moi though.

rickmeister

Just got the map, and it is classified as a fp, though quite a lot is 4wd track up to the last section of the ridge. looking at this after work tonight so hopefully it will be quiet after 5.30pm. Will take a judgement call later. If there is an avalanche of red socks, I will go elsewhere…… (living in Scotland we are spoilt with our access regs)…

lowey

Its busy as Hell. Classified as the “tourist” track to the top of the Old Man. It is usually full of walkers all of varying ability. The pics are of the best sections. The upper section down from the summit is rocky as hell. I wouldnt advise it at all.

If you hell bent on doing the summit then the ridge route to Swirl How is probably a better bet, then descend Prison band. From there you can either take the path past Levers water or ascend Wetherlam and down Lad Stones back to Coppermines quarry. This descent is probably the most feasible on a bike.

Although you aint going to be doing the sport any favours going around on those paths at anytime other than midnight.

rickmeister

Lowey, thanks for that. I’m not that hard nosed or thick skinned to just crack on regardless, especially at this time of year. I havnt been up there for a while so appreciate the info on the top section. Maybe its Walna Scar tonight or another trip around the Garburn Pass…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Coniston old Man to Coniston via Low Water’ is closed to new replies.