• This topic has 52 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Congrats on the Olympics–well done UK
  • nealglover
    Free Member

I hope this stops so much money going to football. Look how hyped that is and how much cash it gets in comparison

This is a genuine question, not an argument starter (hopefully)

But what cash are you are referring to, that “football gets” that other sports don’t.

Bunnyhop

An added bonus for me was the lack of rubbish ‘ex on ice look at me me me I’m a sleb’ shows which are normally on the telly!.

Most of these athletes couldn’t wait to praise the crowd for cheering them on, thank their parents for all their support and not want to be in the limelight – so refreshing.
    Some of these ‘slebs’ just want to be famous NOW!. The athletes however have spent years training and go without so much to acheive their goal. Let’s hope the youngsters of today do take note.

chipps

I’m not a fan of many sports other than cycling and I thought the coverage, and the spectacle of it all was fantastic. Two thumbs up. Well done all! 🙂

juan
    Free Member

So now london is back to it’s busy itself can the price of plane ticket drop please, wee one want to see the dinosaur skeleton 😉
    Great games. I join the above about maybe less money towards football and more toward other sports.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

The “corporate whoring” was surprisingly small inside the Olympic Park and Weymouth. There was branding and outlets but not oppressive by any means compared to other events I’ve been to.
    I keep watching this and grinning:

[video]http://vimeo.com/47378906[/video]

nbt

But what cash are you are referring to, that “football gets” that other sports don’t.

money from TV rights for coverage, for a start

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Love that Video 🙂

Who are the 5 young girls though – gymnasts?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

juan – Member
    So now london is back to it’s busy itself can the price of plane ticket drop please, wee one want to see the dinosaur skeleton

Juan, if you’re over here to see Dippy*, drop me a line through here. Let’s do beer. 🙂

*Yep, that’s what he’s called!

D0NK

woppit what are red pets?
    <edit> cba

money from TV rights for coverage, for a start

bit of a tricky one, sky and other privates will obviously go for the biggest audience (football) BBC have to answer to their licence payers and I’m guessing a shedload of them are footy fans too so they can’t just let pay channels take it all, just hope they leave some room in the budget for other stuff. Thing is the olympic effect like wimbledon is pretty short lived, I reckon the public enjoyed watching minority sports for a couple weeks as a distraction before the footy season started up again then it’ll be back to the usual 🙁

nbt

We can only watch what’s on telly – if all they show is fotball, we can;t really watch anything else can we? I *loved* the volleyball coverage (indoor, beach is not my thing) but that’s the first time I’ve seen it on telly since C4 covered the national finals about 12 years ago

IT’s supply and demand – they supply it cos the public demand it, but how can they judge demand for something that isn’t supplied? Remember in the 80s there was very little coverage of football – Saturday was all about wrestling. As football coverage grew, “demand” grew to match…

noteeth
    Free Member

It were tops.

Mo’s final lap in the 5000 still makes me cheer like a fugging idiot, no matter how many times I watch it.

loum
    Free Member

We can only watch what’s on telly – if all they show is fotball, we can;t really watch anything else can we?

You don’t have to use the telly to watch sport. 😉
    Go and watch some sports that you are interested in, and actually support them. If enough people do that, broadcasters can see the market for it and will supply it. How else do you think they can match what they supply to what their audience wants?
    Over 25 million people did that last season with football. Why else do you think broadcasters concentrate so much effort on it?

Edit: Back on track, Olympic congratulations +1
    It was brilliant.

nbt

Over 25 million people did that last season with football.

more people go to church than football 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Congrats on the Olympics–well done UK’ is closed to new replies.