Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Confused with Rockshox's trail fork range
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Currently have Pike 426 coils on my hardtail. Looking to swap them out for something a little lighter.
    Air I’m guessing if I want lightweight (although I am a fan of coils..)
    Maxle
    U-turn, would be nice, but not essential at all. I always leave my Pikes at 95mm.
    Standard steerer.
    They do still need to be strong, it’s for a jumpy/trail ragging hardtail, so not a pootling XC bike (although it will be used for XC).

I’ve been recommended to get Rebas, but there seem to be a few versions?

And then there’s Recons and Revelations?

I will be buying used (so not latest 2011 ones), hopeing to spend under/around £200 (hopefully can get roughly that for my Pikes).

Should I even bother looking at other brands (Fox etc will be expensive right?)

Any thoughts/input?

Ta, Duane

(If anyone has anything for sale/swap which might be suitable, let me know 🙂 )

paulo6624
    Free Member

What about travel – I guess your pikes are 140mm rebas are mostly 120mm – revs can be 130 140 150 , I think pikes are great forks- perhaps get the dual air pikes there obviously lighter, but will feel slightly different

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Hard to get good 2nd hand forks for under £200.

Save up and get the Sektor U-turns, you won’t regret it.

Mackem

I think my Sektors are excellent.

bent_udder
    Free Member

If you are concerned with light weight and only run your current forks at 95mm, I’d suggest some form of air fork with a Maxle. Reba is a good place to start, although it’s generally considered an XC type fork. What sort of riding do you tend to do? You mentioned jumping, which Rebas might not be suited to unless you’re pretty smooth. Do you wind your Pikes out to more travel at all? What frame are they fitted to?

Revelations are effectively longer Rebas. Since you mostly ride at 95mm travel, I’d suggest Rebas out of the ones you’ve named there. They could be run at 85mm, 100 or 115 in the past – I’m not sure what the deal is with the current lot, which are set at 120mm out of the box – but with most RS air forks, you can drop the travel in 15mm increments using spacers.

Duane…
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Frame is a Giant STP;

Don’t think I’ve ever used them at more than 95mm, the option to have longer travel would be nice but not essential.

OK so Revs are longer Rebas. What about Recons? Cheaper/heavier?

What’s the deal with the different types of Rebas? Dual air etc?

Yeah, these will be used for jumping/4X type stuff, trail ragging. I am fairly smooth, know how to jump etc, but of course have the odd spill/rough landing. A mate who runs Rebas on his STP rides similar stuff to me, hence considering them.

Don’t want to spend a huge amount. If I have to spend loads and loads I won’t bother, only want to do the swap if it doesn’t involve too much money. Have seen Maxle Rebas for about £200.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

coil uturn Sektors are the obvious choice (I have some). Plush and good value. See LoCo on the forum for a very good deal.

But the Sektors aren’t as burly as your Pikes. I’ve owned both. If you want something as tough as your Pikes then there isn’t much in the (new) RS lineup. Some good condition s/hand 454 Pikes are a candidate, if you can find some. Lyrics are tougher still, but heavier.

james
    Free Member

If you can find one a Dual-Air Pike (upto 2008), 2009 20mm Revelation or 2009 Recon 20mm* solo-air (both also use IS mount pike lowers IIRC) and space it below its ‘official’ 125?mm lower limit is likley to be your lightest ‘tough’ option

*May be very diffilcult to find as I believe they might have only come supplied on one or two bikes, eg maybe one Commencal Ramone and a Felt Trailshot

I was under the impression that the newer 20mm (post mount, bulges in lowers) Sector/Revelation/Reba lowers aren’t quite the same in toughness as the pike ones

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Is the Argyle not what you want? A short version of the Pike? Not sure how much it weighs though.

james
    Free Member

100mm Argyle are 2.5kg ish IIRC
    the new solo-air 140mm Argyle (I think its red?) is coil pike weight about 2.3kg. I can only assume it has a steel steerer tube at that weight

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Pike air 454’s would be quite a bit ligher, not to expensive and you wouldnt lose any strength/stiffness.

Duane…
    Free Member

“If you want something as tough as your Pikes then there isn’t much in the (new) RS lineup”

I don’t. I’m happy to take a drop in strength. Just not too much 🙂

Air Pikes is an option I shall look into. Just that it’s not thaaat light..

ausecour
    Free Member

the new solo-air 140mm Argyle (I think its red?) is coil pike weight about 2.3kg. I can only assume it has a steel steerer tube at that weight

It’s similar weight to the pike dual air actually:

Weight: 2016g (4.44 lbs)

It doesn’t have u-turn though. They don’t seem to have a fork as strong as the pike with u-turn any more.

tobin
    Free Member

Hi Duane,

I have a set of 100 mm RS Argyle 409 solo airs I’m selling. They don’t have U-turn, but they do have the mission control damping that pretty much locks them out.

I’ve been using them as a play XC fork on my Cotic, but just want something with a touch more travel.

They’re mint green and condition is pretty much immaculate, and am open to offers/swap. Can send pics if interested.

Cheers,

Tobin

Duane…
    Free Member

Hmm, just looking at Pike 454 Air Uturns, and they’re only about 50g lighter than my coils, so I guess it’s only worth getting new Pikes if they’re the dual airs…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Confused with Rockshox's trail fork range’ is closed to new replies.