Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Confused by Five Ten choices
  • julioflo
    Free Member

Back on flat pedals and feeling good to not be clipped in again. But am only wearing old skate shoes with very flat and smooth soles. Have been thinking about investing in Five Tens for a while. A ride in the wet tonight and slippy feet was the final straw.

But the choice and crossover is confusing?
    Which to go for (bearing in mind winter is coming):
    Freerider elements
    Freerider EPS
    Freerider Pro

I quite like the ‘style’ of the EPS boots. But do they limit ability to drop your heels?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I like both the freerider elements and impact vxi.

Seen a few shite reviews of the EPS.

julioflo
    Free Member

Impact VXi ? So whats the difference between them and the Freeriders?
    I’m only riding trail on a hardtail and the occasional Bike Park Wales trip. Not a Downhiller – as the Impact Vxi are more DH? Or are they?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I have both, I find the vxi to be more waterproof, dry quicker, but aren’t as comfy as the elements. Sole stickier and stiffer, but more prone to damage because of that.

PROLINE85
    Free Member

+1 for Freerider Elements, really comfy and look good as well.
    The EPS are insulated and possibly more waterproof, just bought a pair although they’re too new to really compare yet. The EPS are definitely slightly smaller in size than the Elements which is probably due to the insulation.

julioflo
    Free Member

So what is difference between any of the Freerider models and the Impact Vxi?
    Feel (Freerider) versus protection on the impacts?

chiefgrooveguru

If you can handle the looks then I’d say the Freerider ELC are the best.

joebristol

Love my free rider elements. Much better than skate shoes and not been too bad in the wet so far. Can take a day or two to dry out though.

Grip is relentless on my exotic flat pedals no matter the weather.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Vxi are atrocious. The soles are cheese

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vxi are atrocious. The soles are cheese

3 years ouf of my last pair, they’re ready for the bin now mind, but burgtec are pretty sore on any shoe.

I’ll get another pair.

julioflo
    Free Member

Any views in the Freerider Pro? Guessing it’s a new model, and should dry fast as there is less bulk?

yacoby
    Free Member

I can’t comment on how long the free rider pros last, but I like them way more than the old standard freeriders I had.

* Stronger toe area
    * Less fabric
    * Shorter laces

Haven’t used them in the wet yet, but they seem like they should dry faster

stevextc
    Free Member

It’s more than a bit confusing. I’ve stuck various models in shopping baskets and I’m yet to pull the trigger.
    Drying out time is definitely a concern as well.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Freerider pro have a load of holes in the toebox, look more like a shoe for riding Arizona or the likes, I’m out.

submarined
    Free Member

The pro is a lighter, stiffer, better vented (read: less waterproof and cooler) shoe than the other freeriders.
    I’ve got EPS highs and really like them. They’re warm, fit well, are tough, but one thing they aren’t is waterproof. Pair them with some SealSkinz though and you’re sorted.
    No problem with ‘dropping heels’ but it’s not something I consciously do. Looking at photos of me riding it appears I probably do though. I’ve been riding flats for 20 years though (mostly on skate shoes) and they definitely don’t cause me any flexibility issues compared to conventional low tops.

redwoods
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the XVIs. Super, super sticky soles (sometimes too much – so it’s tricky to shift your foot on the pedal) and so far so good with being pretty waterproof.
    I mostly bought them for the wider toe box though – definitely more roomy than others so great if you have a wide foot.

mahalo

I have the freerider pro’s and the EPS’s.

had a season out of each. EPS not as waterproof as id hoped but really warm. so warm i had to get something else for summer so got the Pro’s – they are really great. obvs not had too much exposure to cold and rain but they feel very light, comfy and super stable. no doubt ill be back in the EPS’s over the next few weeks….

markshires
    Free Member

I’ve got the freerider pros and the elements, there both great to ride in, the pros are a lot narrower and aren’t as chunky as the elements. There also a lot lighter. As for them been waterproof I’d say the elements are slightly better but riding for a few hours in the rain they end up wet through as do the pros. The drying times on the pros a probably slightly quicker but they do have less foam. They both are ok in the rain when paired with some waterproof socks though. I’d say the elements are a lot warmer to ride in but I haven’t tried them in cold conditions when warmth is needed. For me the difference I prefer my pros as they aren’t as chunky and lighter but I guess this is personal preference. By the way I got the pros price match by Evans with canyon if it’s any help.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I like the extra width of the VXI too, more room for toes to move = warmer feet in winter.

julioflo
    Free Member

Have wide pasty feet, so it be as simple as the width of the Impact VXi may being the deciding factor!

ceepers

i have these

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjV3IWW4aHWAhWHDcAKHb_oB9QQFghxMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chainreactioncycles.com%2Ffive-ten-freerider-elc-mtb-shoes-2017%2Frp-prod144876&usg=AFQjCNEwPFg6kecN8MjWw-ScSFtRFJxjBQ

freerider elc

don’t see many around but theyre good. Sole is full dots, not quite as sticky as the original freeriders but plenty grippy. lacecvover and lack of mesh means they keep most water out in the winter esp with waterproof socks. much warmer than the mesh freeriders too

bigjim

freerider pros are very good indeed

Rubber_Buccaneer

freerider elc

I think they are the most practical five tens ever made, mostly because I don’t understand why anyone would want their laces flapping about and being filled with mud. Why the hell do they only offer them in such hideous colours?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why the hell do they only offer them in such hideous colours?

This, they look bloody awful.

ceepers

mine are so often covered in mud I can live with the colours for drier feet!!

#soenduro anyway!:-)

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

In my experience:

Freeriders are pretty flexy after a bit of use. Tend to work well though. Normal fit.

Freerider Contact. Stupid sole with no grip – also the sole falls off in super fast time. Avoid.

Freerider Pro. Probably the best shoe in the range IMO. Light, dries quick, well vented so less sweaty feet. Grip is good, sole is also stitched on, so durable too.

Impact VXi. I’ve run these for years. Great shoe & mega grippy. Sole is fragile though so get some gorilla glue & get used to sticking them back together. I’ve got some 3 year old ones which I have as spares, the sole is ravaged yet they are significantly more grippy still than any other brand of shoes on the market.

They would still be my number one choice if the sole lasted longer without me having to glue them back together.

Impact Sam Hill – Probably great, but just remind me of the old Impacts – they big, clumpy & heavy.

a11y

Why the hell do they only offer them in such hideous colours?

So annoying, design looks brilliant otherwise (I’m a big fan of the lace cover idea, currently using AM41s). But those are horrific.

ELC = Early Learning Centre version?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I have have vxi and freeriders. Both have been pretty poor to be honest and did not last longer than about 6 months. They take an age to dry when they get wet and both soles started separating from the shoe after about 4 months.

I would not buy another pair.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the VXi’s and some Freerider Elements, the VXi’s are my go-to shoe for everything. They just work with loads of grip and they dry out faster too. The Elements are fine but the VXi’s grip better, are more comfy and stay warmer when wet (they don’t self-bail so the water round your feet warms up whereas the Elements slowly drain then refill so stay cooler on really wet days). Both dry out quickly after a full soaking but then I have a shoe dryer machine so that helps! The VXi’s take 2hrs from fully soaked, same as my AM41’s used to but the Elements take an extra 30 mins or so.

As for the comments about the soles not lasting, both 5.10’s have lasted longer than my previous AM41’s used to. No separation of the soles and the uppers are looking near-new when I wash them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bugger it, I’m going for another pair of VXIs.

mehr
    Free Member

VXI’s all the time if you can pick them up cheap, I just got another pair price matched from the Canyon site

Its a shame no other company will break the five ten monopoly as even at £70 they’re probably still over priced

wysiwyg
    Free Member

I get 30 days of riding from a pair of Vxis. So a month of whistler riding. They’ve discontinued them due to the soles being too soft

chiefgrooveguru

The sole on the ELC is much harder wearing but plenty sticky enough. The stiffness is good, just a bit more than standard Elements but not so rigid there’s no feel. The upper is the most weatherproof one they do.

Once dirty they look ok! 😉

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have Adidas Terrex Trail Cross bike pedal shoes, as they own five ten has stealth sole and looks trainer like. Not waterproof but very resistant to getting wet.

Also have original five ten impacts years old still going strong.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/shoes/adidas-terrex-trail-cross-sl-shoes-review

dragon
    Free Member

Shimano have new options coming out the GR9 & GR7 might be worth a look. Otherwise those Adidas are supposed to be the dogs b*llocks.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Had 3 pairs of the VXi’s – first ones only lasted a few months before the rubber started to delaminate form the sole, apparently a known issue when they first came out and replaced under warranty. replacements lasted about 2.5 years before the rubber cut up enough to think about replacing (but still use them as spares). most recent ones are 6 months old now with no issues what so ever.

uppers are virtually indestructible, dry a lot quicker than the old ones, don’t fall apart after repeatedly getting wet, light weight, brilliant grip and great toe box protection. would happily buy another pair

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I just can’t understand who at Five Ten thought a weather resistant shoe, Elements etc, don’t need gusseted tongues, like every other decent outdoor shoe has had for as long as I can remember.

You don’t need a **** flap when you have gussets 👿 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

A good gusset should always get ye wet.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

A good gusset should always get ye wet.

Disappointed TBH.

There’s got to be a better pun, not getting in a flap about wet gussets or some such 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Confused by Five Ten choices’ is closed to new replies.