Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Confused about rear mech vs cassette expander compatibility
  • kazafaza
    Free Member

As there’s lots of options to increase your bottom gearing via pan-sized cogs fitted behind your existing cassette I was wondering if I need a specific rear mech? At the moment I’ve a shorty X9 type 2 which, according to Spam, will only work up to 36T.

If I was going to use it with 40T expander, 10sp cassette and single chainring, is it just a case of a B-screw fettle or am I looking to break the bank with half a drivetrain replacement?

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not sure on the cage length on mine but the Type 2 SRAM works up to 42 better than Shimano. Shimano needs something like the RAD cage to work properly up to 42t.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have an X9 mech and one-up 42t expander working fine. As above I think its only Shimano need the rad cage sram are fine without.

Edit to add, what’s the range on a shorty? That would be your only problem.

Kahurangi

Whether you have a full-suspension bike (and the resulting chain growth) makes a big difference.

theotherjonv

I have a shimano mech working fine with a 40t expander (Hope,fwiw) but mates have had to use a rad cage to get a 42t to work on near identical setups

kazafaza
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies!

@Jon Taylor: It’s going on a HT

@theotherjonv: just out of interest, what setup have you got?

Cheers

theotherjonv

Slx long cage mech (and shifter fwiw) with a hope 40t extender cog on top of a SRAM 1050 cassette. SRAM chain, have had a race face nw and now an online ringmaster. All working fine!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Confused about rear mech vs cassette expander compatibility’ is closed to new replies.