Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Confused about car stereo connections..
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Want to replace the Sendai 688 I currently have, with a JVC R KD303 I’ve found cheap online.

According to the manuals, the Sendai is 20 pin;
    http://www.halfords.com/wcsstore/libraries/document/CD688.pdf

And the JVC is ISO
    http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-jvc-kd-r303_p-23778.htm

The cable diagram for the Sendai shows an adapter from ISO to 20pin, but I’m pretty sure when I opened mine up there wasn’t an adapter, just a bunch of wires taped together (assuming that was instead of the proper connector).

I’m assuming I will need to get an adapter then, to run the JVC stereo with my current wiring? I’ve searched around but can’t find anything suitable..

Ta, Duane.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if it was me – for minimal fuss id just get an iso to go into the back of the JVC and chop it to make it fit whats in the dash already.

failing that i would just go into halfords with the stereo and the current plug and get one to fit between them

ordering it online is going to lead to alot of tears and wasted time/money

Duane…
    Free Member

Yeah, going into Halfords is what I’m thinking of doing, but I wanted to check what adapter I’d need first, as some of the prices of adapters on their site (£30+) would make the excercise a bit silly (seeing as I’m getting the stereo for £20)..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

then you need to do it the old way, wiring diagram, set of cable strippers and a roll of insulating tape…

Duane…
    Free Member

I’ve just found a picture of the back of the Sendai 688;

That’s definitely not the same connector as shown in the above manual, looks like an ISO connector to me. Which means, it should fit the JVC. Except, the picture that the JVC guy sent me, it definitely wouldn’t fit. The JVC looks like it needs one of these 20 pin connectors;

tortoisenothair
    Free Member

The lead which plugs into the back of the JVC will then have an ISO block ferther down.

will be a case of unplugging the sendei and plugging the JVC in

Happy Days

muddodger
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    then you need to do it the old way, wiring diagram, set of cable strippers and a roll of insulating tape…

I agree, looking at the picture of cd… top 8 are speaker wires, these probably won’t change in the new plug.
    Bottom 4 will be;
    permanent live (+12v)
    switched live (on off with ignition, saves radio setting ect)
    Ground (earth) CD will work with only these 3 wired up
    Last one is possibly some light dimmer thing, or electric aerial supply, depending on cd.
    Easiest way of finding out is to plug wiring harness in without cd connected, using a multi-meter test each of the 4 lower wires to work out which is which.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

there is probably autoleads harness adapter/converter that will go between car and iso end of the jvc

wrightyson
    Free Member

I’ll never forget my first attempt at wiring a stereo, more chocolate blocks behind the dash than a cadburys factory…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Confused about car stereo connections..’ is closed to new replies.