Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Confirm my tubless requirements
  • Conan257
    Free Member

I’ve Stans Flows with Nobby Nic Evo’s running with tubes at the moment.

Can anyone confirm all I need is the sealing tape, valves and sealant? ie: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49111

I think I may need more sealant, but I’ve got the basics right I think…

Also, anyone used a 12v car pump to seat tubeless tyres? Do they push enough air to do the job?

wwaswas

Also, anyone used a 12v car pump to seat tubeless tyres? Do they push enough air to do the job?

no, less ‘rush’ than a track pump so useless.

and yes you just need tape and valves + sealant.

Did I read that Stans were a bit nervous about Schwalbe tyres at the moment though?

Conan257
    Free Member

I did read something about that, Stans rims made slightly large and Schwalbe tyres made slightly small…

Got mine on with no difficulty though well before I heard about that, so not too worried. Think half the world uses Flows/Nobby Nics…

Northwind

Probably OK, but there’s 2 different tape widths and it doesn’t say which it is- you need the wide one, for Flows. maybe someone else can confirm…

12V pump absolutely useless, they move less air than a track pump. They just do it for a long time, is all. Likewise most garage airpumps these days. You could use it for charging up a “ghetto inflator” though.

I get really good results from my cheap and frankly rubbish Blackburn Air Tower- it’s a horrible bit of kit but it does shove a lot of air. My Joe Blow is a nice bit of kit, but has a much smaller piston so isn’t anything like as good.

nosedive
    Free Member

you need the 25mm tape for flows, no idea why they dont say what ships with that kit though.

one thing you missed off the list:

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

it’s the 25mm wide tape for flows.

Conan257
    Free Member

I can feel my clothing budget being spent on a compressor which does 1 job…

Then I’ll have to justify it by buying air tools…

Cheers for the help!

scruff
    Free Member

25mm Gorilla Tape from screwfix, best tape available and cheaper than bike branded stuff.

Conan257
    Free Member

I always do lots of research before spending money, and am looking at the ghetto tubeless stuff at the moment… However it looks like I can get the proper stuff for only a little more than ghetto…

Northwind

As for compressors… I have one, and I’m glad I do as tubeless can occasionally be a pain in the bum. I wouldn’t count it as mandatory but at the same time, I’d probably be less keen on tubeless without it.

Most air tools are fairly useless in a DIY environment tbh… Media blaster is nice but needs a big compressor. But an air-duster is very handy. Air wrenches are more trouble than they’re worth- lots of noise, lots of fannying around with hoses etc. Power drill with an adaptor is more useful if you just want speed, and most people don’t have much call for an impact gun.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’ve never needed anything but my track pump to inflate tubeless-ready tyres on Flows (with 25mm rim tape + Stan’s valves). OK I admit one wheel took me about 15 minutes of swearing before it finally ‘took’ fitting a Hans Dampf recently but even that would probably have been hassle free if I’d left it overnight with a tube in.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I spent 1.5hrs trying to get 1 tyre to seat on Stans without any sucess
    what
    so
    eva.
    Right old PITA even using the right tape/valves/colour underwear/hair gel.
    I got my LBS to do it in the end.

faffage wasted when you could be out riding.

BigAirNig
    Free Member

You don’t need to buy a compressor …. I found a thread talking about using a bottle compressor and eventually got enough info to make one from stuff I already had in the shed …

I had a new tyre that would NOT seat-up on the beads to inflate, even with a shop compressor and I had given up and was using a tube, then I did a google search and found this method – it worked !

Hope this link works if you need it …..

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/inflating-awkward-tyres-for-tubeless-use

Cheers
    Nig 🙂

carlphillips
    Free Member

bikebouy ..proper fail that fella!

currently using hans dampf on 355’s <crosses fingers> never had a problem inflating with a track pump or sealing etc etc

oh and fwiw on a recent pb article, roval wheels recommend gorilla tape…
    i have used in the past stans strips…useless as when you change tyres the strip peels back meaning more faff putting back on
    bonty rim strips..hard plastic but do the job beautifully
    good ol stans yellow tape…seems to do just fine too..

nosedive
    Free Member

to be fair a compressor isn’t essential. saves some hassle though

think of it like this…..you only have to inflate your car tyres 375 times and it pays for itself

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have to admit I’m a stickler for a perfect bike, but this tried my patience to the point I put a screwdriver through a cardboard box that held all my cans of spray paint.. 🙄
    I was lucky I didn’t puncture any. 😆

I tried, honestly I did. For 1.5 hrs my head glowed a bright shade of red and more wind couldn’t have been exhaled from my body than was coming out of my track pump.
    Damn near stuck my lips around the valve to have a go..

I will I know have to incur the wrath of the tubeless soon enough when I puncture so badly I have to fix on the trail(s) I am not looking forward to this one bit.

Still one must perceiver…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Confirm my tubless requirements’ is closed to new replies.