Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Confession time (bad driving content)
  • SaxonRider

Anyone else cut off a cycling when driving? I just did on the way home from work, and I feel both stupid and guilty. I mean, he was in hi-viz and doing everything right (at least once I saw him), but for some reason, when I changed from the outside to the inside lane, he was completely invisible to me. I was utterly unaware of his presence until I saw him signalling me in my rear-view mirror. Anyway, when we got to the next light, I unrolled my window and apologised profusely, but it doesn’t make me feel any better.

Ironically, the only reason I was in my car is because when I got up to ride the bike in this morning, I found it had a flat and I didn’t have time to change or repair it. 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

I commute to work most days by bike, so see my share of iffy driving. I like to think I am careful when I’m driving the car near cyclists, but there are still those odd occasions when I overtake a bike and realise that I hadn’t left them enough room, and I then feel awful and stupid.

We are all only human, and no one is really perfect. Except some people who post on bad driving threads and seem to think they are approaching sainthood. 😉

scaredypants

I cut up a cyclist the other day while out on my bike 🙄

I was turning right at a T junction and he was coming from my right along the dominant road. Totally misjudged his speed and didn’t look over again, so as I cut the corner he was right there too. Luckily he was turning left, otherwise it’d have been a mess.

Sorry matey 😳

njee20
    Free Member

Yeah I did it not long ago. Second car, first one indicates right, passes cyclists. I follow. Turns out car 1 is indicating right because he’s turning into his drive, he brakes virtually to a standstill, I do likewise having just passed cyclist. 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

A few years ago I was pulling out of an entrance onto an open 30mph road. There was a line of trees then the pavement, then the road – so I had to cross the pavement. Well, unknown to me it’s actually a shared use path and I almost sent a woman on a princess bike across my bonnet. I looked of course but I was looking at the immediate vicinity for pedestrians, and way down the road for cars.

Although to be fair there was no visible warning or evidence it was a cyclepath, and she was under trees wearing dark clothes. But I still felt awful about it, and pretty cross with myself.

pjm84
    Free Member

Nearly but decided I had misjudged her (cyclist) speed so aborted the left turn and went straight on at a mini roundabout. I then went up the road, turned right, did a u turn in an housing estate and then came back.

The Wife was in the car. Didn’t say anything but realised I misjudged the situation hence the reason for not turning left.

hh45
    Free Member

OP. How did the rider respond to your apology?

SaxonRider

hh45, he was obviously a bit shaken and mildly upset, but when he saw me leaning over to speak with him through my passenger window, he stopped, allowed me to apologise and said simply in return, ‘Okay, but as a cyclist, I am very vulnerable you know.’ At this point, I said, ‘I completely understand. Sorry.’ And he went on his way.

I would love to have asked him how I missed seeing him in the first place – as I obviously genuinely made a mistake that I would not like to repeat – but there was obviously no time to do so at the side of the road.

hh45
    Free Member

I find the whole episode quite gratifying. I always maintain (contrary to what most people think) that there is nothing wrong with apologising. He will probably recall your good manners next in a positive way even if he wishes you hadn’t cut him up.

SaxonRider

Hora, yes, that’s the sort of thing I am talking about. I try to be so conscious of cyclists when I drive. I am glad I am not the only one to have done this, if you know what I mean…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Confession time (bad driving content)’ is closed to new replies.