Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • cones for spesh stout hub?
  • mickolas
    Free Member

just got a specialized stout hub off ebay (cup and cone version). it came to me overtightened and stiff so I stripped it for a look. cups are fine but the cones are pitted at various points on both sides. had a google but it looks like others have tried and failed to source these cones. any ideas? LBS will of course be one option, but there isn’t one in my town and could be a trip for nothing.

some have said they think the stout is a rebranded dt onyx hub if that helps?

stamped on the hub is ‘SP6105 GH’.

No rush on this as the hub is intended for a winter bike build.

any advice gratefully received.

orangeboy
    Free Member

It’s only some of the sealed bearing Spesh hubs that are Dt Swiss internals / clones
    If its loose balls I would guess at a joy tech of some sort best to try a shop and see what’s around or check out
    Madison as they do the wheels manufacturing stuff
    Although you will still need an lbs to order them for you

ScotlandTheScared

If its any use, I have a spesh stout hub from 1998 (xtr grey colour, sealed bearing version) which I dont need. I can post it to you for the cost of the postage if you want it. Its got the 9mm QR axle and was designed for a radial wheel build. I suspect the bearings need replaced. I cant remember how many spokes it takes – 32 I think.

Message me if you want it.

STS.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mickolas
    Free Member

orangeboy – thanks. The trail led me to CN-R082 which by measuring what I’ve got seems to be the right cone (same dimensions as on a formula road hub I junked a while ago). Trip to LBS on the cards.

STS – I thought hard about this. Thanks for the generous offer, but I think I’ll pass. I’m guessing that it’s a rim-brake only hub if it was designed to be laced radially, and although cones are an unwanted expense, I don’t want to ditch the hub I’ve just bought.

Thanks both.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘cones for spesh stout hub?’ is closed to new replies.