Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • conecting Garmin 800 to laptop.
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

Right back in the last century and more recently I was linking my Garmin GPS’s to a laptop and using that to give me live mapping with OS maps. Great for detailed Sat Nav when 4WD green laning. Its was a pain to get the USB only lap top to talk to the GPS which had leads that were serial only but it could be done. I am just attempting a modern version using my Garmin 800 via its normal USB cable but can’t seem to get it to talk to the laptop. It is making connections as its just downloaded todays ride.
    Any ideas?

phil56

with the Garmin 800 turned off and the US cable plugged in but not connected to the laptop, press and hold down the lap/reset button – then plug the USB cable into the laptop. Wait a few seconds still pressing the button, and you should see an image of a filing cabinet appear on the Garmin screen – then it will be accessible like a USB connected drive.

Is that what you wanted?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Nope. Mine doesn’t do that. As soon as I plug it to the laptop it just goes into the normal charge mode.

creamegg
    Free Member

I find I have to plug and unplug it 2-3 times sometimes before it picks it up. Sometimes works first time though.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I am now told else where that the 800 does not send GPS signals through the USB.
    Anyone able to confirm or deny that?

Cougar

Wait, what? You want to use the Edge as an external GPS receiver for your laptop, is that what you’re asking?

I would be very surprised if it worked in that manner (or indeed, if any dedicated USB GPS device did).

I’d expect you’d need something like GPSgate to provide virtual COM ports for your mapping application to connect to, at the very least. But the device would still need to be sending NMEA data over USB for GPSgate to pick up in the first place. Far as I know, the Edge presents simply as a mass storage device like a USB pendrive would. There might be some sort of vulcan nerve pinch to get it to mount differently (like when you put an Android phone in Debug mode) but I’ve no idea whether that’s possible of the Garmin.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Yes . That’s exactly what I want to do.
    My old Garmins did.
    Why should the USB make any difference? I used to use a serial/USB converter. Haven’t for a few years and cannot remember the trick to identify which com port was being used.

Cougar

(Sorry, ninja edits there)

A serial to USB converter would give you a virtual COM port also.

TBH, for the amount of kludging and workarounds here, I’d hazard you’d be better off spending £20 on a Bluetooth GPS receiver.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Its the virtual com port I am now having issues with. Just cannot remember how I did it. Used to be plug and play I was so familiar but now.. No idea.
    Thus I naively assumed that the GPS issue would simplify things. Guess the 800 is less general than my ancient Etrex.
    Ta.
    Any bright ideas that involve not buying a Bluetooth GPS would be great. Was thinking of using the old set up again touring Scotland and I leave on Weds. not going to get the receiver by then.

Cougar

Hum.

I could potentially lend you one, but getting it there now before you leave might be pushing it. And I’d probably forget.

Flaperon

mattsccm – it’s not possible to do what you want to do on the Edge 800, you’re just wasting your time. Buy a USB or bluetooth external GPS receiver instead.

scotroutes

I have an old Bluetooth receiver you could have for the cost of postage – or pick it up in Aviemore….

mattsccm
    Free Member

Given up on the 800.
    Going to play with the old GPS as it worked once and I have rattled the cage of a techy mate who did the same and has also forgotten.
    I will not be beaten.
    Scotroutes
    watch your PM’s
    Cheers.
    Matt
    Of course I could go down another blind alley and try to tether my phone to the laptop.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Well that’s worth a look. Ta
    Now to do it without messing about with wireless. Lets using a cable then. any bright ideas to helpmy fumbling will be great

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘conecting Garmin 800 to laptop.’ is closed to new replies.