Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Condor Fratello disc – anyone got one?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Just stumbled across this on road.cc and it ticks my boxes for an all round road bike.

Anyone got any real world experience of the bike, or Condor in general?

Cheers

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well not quite but mates have a range of bikes from Condor, most popular is their Leggaro and SL Leggaro. Nice bikes, well made and spec’d depending on what you want to spend Obvs. One of our lot has a Fratello in full winter setup and it’s a really nice bike, his is the pale green one and looks to be a 60″ to me. Uses it for both commute and weekend riding when it’s wet.
    As far as service goes, they know their thing. I bought my R5ca from them and was delighted by the level of communication during build and handoff when picking up, also 1st service was swift and painless.
    I’d say of the original builders left in the country they are tops, clearly there are more handmade bikes/builders out there now but for an off the peg semi custom made they’re hard to beat.
    IMO.

nedrapier

I bought my Peregrine from them and most of the bits for the build. They set up the M and L frame sizes on their jig with a couple of different stem options to see which would work best. Been back for plenty of bits and pieces since.

I sent a friend there to talk about options for a nice commuter/raceable do everything thing. She found them as helpful, knowledgeable, friendly, enthusiastic and as willing to spend decent chunks of time talking and helping decide as I did.

She got them to build up an Acciaio for her, and she likes it very much indeed. About 4 years ago, I think. Onto her 5th page of QOM’s as of this week!

theflatboy
    Free Member

Condor are great guys, as a matter of fact had one of my bikes in there for a bit of maintenance yesterday and no complaints at all. Had a call from the mechanic when they were working on it to talk over what they were doing. Very good service all round.

medders
    Free Member

I have a fratello – bought in 2010 and has done great work as a year round long distance commuter. Condor are good to buy from – a proper LBS, flexible with componentry. Not cheap though.

I am now finally replacing it – have just ordered myself and Mason Resolution. Nothing wrong with the condor – I just wanted one road bike and not 2 (one of which never got ridden) to cover both commuting and recreational rides. Interested in a well priced and well look-after second hand size 56 with 105 in grey? Not disc brakes though.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yes, I have one on the way in the post as we speak. I’ll build it this weekend and report back. I did order some custom geometry so it took a bit longer than usual……

They are good guys to deal with though, some of the best CS around.

I used to have one of their other frames, but fancied something with discs and I couldn’t find anything else about that fit my criteria, hence the custom option.

shermer75
    Free Member

I think they look great- keep us updated!! 🙂

tekp2
    Free Member

I went for a Genesis Equilibrium disc instead.

Condor customer service is top notch.

brooess
    Free Member

+ 1 for one of the very best bike shops around.

I have the singlespeed Tempo for commuting and Fratello (non-disc) for winter/wet weather. Lovely bikes to ride – really comfortable. I think they’re keepers.

Customer service is excellent – they really know what they’re talking about in Condor. It’s nice to support a proper old-school independent business too.

For me the very best thing is the customisation. Ok they’re not cheap when you buy but because you buy the bike you want rather than something built to a mass market price point, you don’t get upgraditis in a year’s time – so in the long run I reckon they’re cheaper. Plus you get a bike fit for free so you get exactly the stem/bars/seatpost etc you need = no need to replace them, no need for a physio at £50 a pop.

I don’t need another bike but I want an Accacio just so I can go through the whole process again! The day you go and pick up your custom-built bike from Condor is just like Xmas day as a seven-year old 🙂

I believe Eric Clapton buys his bikes from Condor too, so you’ll be one step closer to God

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

My frame arrived today, just done an hour or so putting bits on it. Worst steerer chop I’ve ever done, apart from that it’s going smoothly. Still waiting on a proper headset top cap from Condor though. I know we all enjoy a teaser shot…..

nedrapier

Very nice, DTF. Is that a Fratello, then?

You’re quite tall, aren’t you?

re: steerer chop, doesn’t really matter, does it? as long as it’s not an inch too short, it can be on the piss by a couple of mm no bother.

bikebouy
    Free Member

DTF that’s quite a drop into the drops 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, it’s a Fratello I guess. I wanted some custom geometry though, so it’s a bit different to the standard frame. I had to go for the “full custom” option cos I think it took them a bit of work to make sure it was right. Hence I ended up with a custom colour.

It’s a bit bland I know, but just wanted something understated that won’t show winter filth off the roads too much.

As for the drop, yeh it’s quite a bit, I think it should be the same as my current bike though. Just had a sit on it and it feels ok. Stuck the 140mm -17 stem on for the photo 😉 I have a 130mm one I may try, and also a couple with a bit more rise. I think it’ll be just right though. I’m 6’3″ with long arms so the reach sin’t much of an issue.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Also, its a different saddle. Normally use a Charge Spoon, and just sitting on it, it feels like it might need to go back a bit.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Actually, ignore what I wrote about Condor above. What I should have written was

“they’re **** useless”

Before I shut up shop last night, I noticed that there’s no cable guides on the downtube for the rear brake cable…….

Bit of an oversight, it’s only a bike frame, I’m sure they’ll be able to sort it……..

But they’ve already done that once before! This isn’t the first frame I’ve been sent. Oh no, I had one arrive earlier this year (around when it should have; 20 weeks after I placed the order) that was wrong aswell! I refrained from an internet rant as I thought I’d give them a chance to sort it first. But once bitten, twice shy (does that work with the above?)

Jesus wept (I nearly did too). THeir CS is top notch, but whoever builds these things needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror; ideally with the frame in their hand 😉

How the **** you manage to bollox it up two times I do not know. I’d definitely be making sure the second frame was spot on, partly to avoid rants like these on internet forums! 😀

I’ve sent them an email anyway, can’t be arsed phoning them. Might just knock it on the head and get my money back; want something for winter. Can anyone recommend anything (not a Mason)?

nedrapier

Oh dear, that is pretty poor. Down tube for the rear brake? Is the caliper down by the BB, then?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well, the rear brake is on the dropout on the chainstay, the cable guides should have been on the downtube (underneath). I’m now doubting myself though; maybe I’m going blind and didn’t see them? Surely it can’t be wrong twice!

nedrapier

Course. Discs. duh.

It was dark and late. Probably worth another look! 🙂

But if it is wrong, you’ve got a pretty strong position to get it sorted, though. if they refund you, they’ve still got a defective frame they need to sort before they sell, and even then it’s custom made for someone who didn’t want it.

Much better for them to have it back, braze on the braze-ons, repaint and get it back to you. Whether they can convince you to trust them that they can do it double-quick is another matter.

shermer75
    Free Member

From the review on Road CC it looks like they have those cable tie only guides:

“Condor have routed the gear and brake cables along the down tube. The rear brake has a full run of outer housing, all neatly zip tied into place on its journey from the brake lever to the brake caliper. The guides are compatible with hydraulic hoses. The front brake cable is routed inside the fork leg, providing very clean lines and pleasing absence of zip ties. ”

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I know, it’s a good shout. Although the main problem is the frames are made in Italy, so it’s not quite as easy as that (I don’t think).

They did offer me some compensation the last time it was wrong, it felt a bit crass accepting compensation for a one thousand pound bicycle frame, so I just told them to give some money to charity. I should really have asked them to buy me a Rourke or something 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

From the review on Road CC it looks like they have those cable tie only guides:

Yeh, that’s the ones. Underside of the downtube. THe last frame I received had them.

shermer75
    Free Member

Ah, balls

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

This was meant to be it; this was the one; the first bike I’ve ever built using all new fancy bits. It’s what you’re meant to do when you get into your thirties isn’t it? Custom steel; Campagnolo; carbon seatposts at a hundred quid; the sort of bike you’re a bit embarrassed to tell your mates how much it cost. I don’t care, I’m approaching middle age and I have no kids or mortgage…..

But all along I’ve been thinking “christ, this is a bit fancy for a push bike, my five hundred quid Cannondale seems to do the job just perfect.”

Maybe it’s a sign? It’s not meant to be? Perhaps I should just knock it on the head and start collecting Warhammers? I could get a decent Space Wolf army for a grand…..

MoreCashThanDash

Well this thread hasn’t gone the way I’d hoped.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

shermer75
    Free Member

Perhaps I should just knock it on the head and start collecting Warhammers?

😆

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Well this thread hasn’t gone the way I’d hoped.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Haha 😀 Neither has my life. I’m struggling to function at work, just the thought of having to go home, take apart a bike, box it up, get it in the post, still have a huge pile of expensive bike bits lying about everywhere, and then having to suffer wet feet on my bike cos I still don’t have one with guards. I need a spliff.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ah well, all sorted (I think).

Just had a craic with Greg at Condor, he’s gonna send some stick on guides in the post to use as a temp measure, whilst they sort another frame.

What a ballache, although they’re not too shy about sorting stuff out for you!

Was thinking I should cancel, but then I’d have to find another frame, and I’m not entirely sure how easy/much fun that’d be. I just want a bike with discs and guards to ride to stop my CAAD getting ruined now it’s winter.

What do you guys think? Good outcome? I’ll post some pics up tonight once Ive built it, cable ties n all.

lunge

I think that’s reasonable. It’s not an ideal, long term solution but the fact they said they’ll sort a new frame out whilst also meaning you can still ride the existing one seems like a good way of doing things.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, that’s what I thought. Obviously it’s not ideal, but none of the options were really. The main annoyance is the fact that I’ll have to strip it all down and rebuild when I get the new one.

To be fair, they did say I could have built the last one up as a stop gap, but it sort of felt like I was “wasting” a perfectly good frame that they could have sold to someone else. Whereas this latest one is no good to man nor beast with it’s lack of cable guides.

lunge

I don’t know where you’re based but maybe you could ask them as part of the deal to rebuild it for you? Get a cheap train to London, drop it with them in the morning, day out and a few beers in Town then collect the new bike and train home. Might work quite nicely.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I don’t know where you’re based but maybe you could ask them as part of the deal to rebuild it for you? Get a cheap train to London, drop it with them in the morning, day out and a few beers in Town then collect the new bike and train home. Might work quite nicely.

Yeh, not a bad shout. I think Greg mentioned that on the phone. I’m in Cumbria though, although I do have a mate in London I could go and vist. Infact, last time I went to see her, I was gonna try and go to the Condor shop, but we pissed about in the NH museum for too long on the Saturday, and then it was shut on Sunday. Not sure whether our relationship is quite what it was either……**** hell, the trials and tribulations of my life in one thread.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mate of mine had similar issue with a bike from the US. They sent over a replacement frame and paid for a local bike shop to swap all the parts over. May be an option.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, I don’t mind doing it myself really, at least then I know it’s right. It’s more the faff of having to clean it all prior to the build. Wonder if they’d pay my housemate to do it? 😀 She only works part time so could do with the money….

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Before I shut up shop last night, I noticed that there’s no cable guides on the downtube for the rear brake cable…….

Bit of an oversight, it’s only a bike frame, I’m sure they’ll be able to sort it……..

Ah yes, reminds me of my first custom frame from a now defunct builder. After the usual lengthy wait it came with both top tube and down tube cables stops for everything, god knows why. The first reply from the builder was quality – apparently they’d done it “on purpose to allow me complete flexibility in where I’d want to run my cables”. 😆

I had to point out to them that a) I didn’t ask for that on my ‘custom’ frame and b) even if that were true then they were missing random cable stops on both versions so wasn’t even usable that way either!

There was a refund…

shermer75
    Free Member

Can you keep both frames? They’re pretty versatile, you could build one up as a pub bike, commuter, tourer or maybe even try a bit of cyclo cross

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Got home from work and cracked on with the build. I think I prefer it without the cable guides to be honest; makes for a “cleaner” look.

Mudguards can wait till tomorrow (I can forsee issues)

bikebouy
    Free Member

Likes, a lot 8)

MoreCashThanDash

Just been playing on Condors Bike Builder – being sensible I got to just under £1800 and then realised they didn’t have a hydraulic brake option. 👿

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

bikebouy – Member
    Likes, a lot

Yeh, it looks ok dunnit? There’s a few bit’s that’re erking me. I didn’t spec a level top tube, I just assumed it’d be somewhere close, but the angle of the stem doesn’t quite match it.

Seatpost looks a bit ****, reckon I should have kept my Fizik one.

Chainset is not campag, or particularly pretty. But it’ll do.

Couldn’t get hold of one of the old style 3T stems, so got a new one with one bolt on it. Looks a bit shit

Need to paint the top of the steerer black where the gap in the stem clamp is (it’s currently blue marker pen)

Bit miffed about the wheels aswell. I’m hoping they’ll be good, they look really well built, but I don’t trust low spoke count wheels really. And they’ve just released a 28 spoke set which is what I would have preferred I reckon.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

if it was me, on a custom winter frame, I’d spec guides to run full length gear outers too. I run full length outers on my winter bike, held on by a mix of placky guides and modified hose inserts but it all looks a tad DIY. The full length outer is so much better than a split outer though.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Condor Fratello disc – anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.