• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • conditions – jacobs ladder, edale, ladybower
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

anyone near the areas? any one riding? has it been hit by snow again???? please say it hasnt 🙁

sambob
    Free Member

i would be very surprised if there was any snow up there, there certainly wasnt on saturday and i dont think its been cold enough for snow. we have had loads of rain though so it will be muddy as anything. hope this helps

GavinB

Snow on Winter Hill/Rivington and across the Lancs hills this morning, so would be surprised if the Peak was not covered (again).

peakmonster
    Free Member

No snow very wet and muddy

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

bit of snow very moist

Andituk
    Free Member

We're settled then, there's either snow, a bit of snow, or no snow.

Simple 😀

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

snow only on the tops…and not much. it'll be gone in the next couple of hrs i reckon – if it keeps raining.

ones thing's for sure – its piss wet through!

Brown
    Free Member

Jacobs – Roych Clough – Chapel Gate was wet and muddy yesterday, but the snow has all gone.

Haven't been out to work yet today, so haven't checked, but if any snow fell last night then it will be on scenic duty only.

If it helps, Sheffield's doing its usual grey-but-not-raining thing at the minute.

Pook

Going up tonight. Will report back on Edale/Ladybower.

Shouldn't have thought so though. We had a hailstorm yesterday but that's about it.

glenh
    Free Member

Snow all over the hills here in west yorks, so I'd be surprised if there wasn't some in the peaks.
    Probably won't last too long though.

amodicumofgnar

Can see the Roych from the bedroom window snow line looks around the ford or there abouts, prob be a couple of inches on the tops at most. Snow line was Chestnut Centre first thing. A lot has thawed off in last couple of days. Yesterday was the first time I've driven to work and not passed within a couple of m of a snow patch since mid december.

thepodge
    Free Member

Woodhead was covered in snow This morning and its always worse on the snake side so I'd say it'd be covered too

amodicumofgnar

Its cleared out now and the tops are off white, unless it freezes then its looking like a couple of inches max of wet snow / slush above 450m going fully green around 375m

nickhart
    Free Member

pook take your long johns, it was snowing at ringinglow earlier and has been proper cloudy over moscar that afternoon.

Pook

excellent!

Pook

mam tor, rushup – white out. will be grim and wet.

tonight; blowing a gale and bitterly cold

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers pook!

if any one else gets out up there today please let me know 🙂 just roughly what its like around jacobs/edale etc hopefully all be gone for the weekend 🙂

stumpy01

I'm going with a few others on Saturday starting off from Hope.

I take it it's gonna be wet….!?

hora
    Free Member

mam tor, rushup – white out. will be grim and wet.

Explain! I might go up there on Sat on mi' tod.

Pook

I've just sent this to someone off here….

Right then,

last night we set out from sheffield in windy, but clearish conditions. On the way out to the peak we could see a bit of rain coming in, but followed by sun. Fine we thought, we'll be ok.
    Got to where you can see over to Mam Tor/Rushup, and they were snowbound. Looked like they'd had a fair old dump to be honest, so we knocked it on the head and rode over Stanage way.

Getting out of the car, we got caught in a blizzard. Sideways snow as we were getting ready – grim stuff. Freezing before we'd even got going. Anyway, we set out and a bit of sun broke through. It was just nasty going though. Meltwater had flooded the trails, and on the climbs/descents there were just water falls of icy water.

That said, if you're going tomorrow and the weather improves/holds today you might be in business. I reckon Mam Tor singletrack (Hollins Cross to Mam Nick) would be a mudfest pretty much, but Rushup generally holds up. the Pennine Bridleway will be ok as it's hard pack, and Oaken Clough up to the back of Jacobs should be ok. If the wind's coming in as it normally does ie: a westerly, it should help you up there. It will be bitterly cold though I think. That said, BBC weather says it's going to be 8 degrees with a 8mph wind, so it may not be so bad.

Recommendations? Hmm – I'd still risk Mam Tor, but be prepared for it to be muddy. The only other realistic option is to go up Chapel Gate but that's a bitch of a climb. Good warm up though…… link to the shortcut attached….

thepodge
    Free Member

Hora, might join you if its not to damp, mail me

hora
    Free Member

Cheers Pook. I rode the Kinder Circuit mid last week and there were sizeable drifts still (but NOT in the fun bits)- which, to me is what counts. 🙂

Podge- as long as its not chucking it down with sideways rain, Im definitely doing it. One thing I hate is rain AND a sidewind in exposed land!

I dont mind getting wet from the ground though- more fun.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘conditions – jacobs ladder, edale, ladybower’ is closed to new replies.