Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Conditions at swinley?
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

It's boggy as hell in my end of the chilterns; does swinley offer better traction at the moment?

forge197
    Free Member

Would also be interested in this supposed to be riding Swinley in a couple of days, can change plans if it's just a big bog 🙂

cinnamon_girl

I may venture over there briefly tomorrow, if I can remember how to ride a bike! Will report back.

Snow has melted here anyway but it will definitely be boggy.

forge197
    Free Member

If you can report back CG that would be great if you head over there.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Petetheplumber posted a day or two back to say it's as bad as he's ever seen things there. Since then , we've had a snow thaw, so i can't imagine it's any better 😥

forge197
    Free Member

Reluctant – that was my thought, been some time since I rode Swinley since it was my regular ride but it did used bog up nicley in the wet.

Maybe I will do a local bridleway ride just to spin the legs and give it a miss until I next come down.

theotherjonv

tonnes of other riding in the area that isn't as used and therefore lasts better.

juiced
    Free Member

do you mean crowthorne theotherjonv?

theotherjonv

No, I mean Yateley, Eversley, Tunnel Hill, DERA, Frith Hill, Porridge Pot Hill, Minley………..

cinnamon_girl

I ended up doing a loop of the RMA side and nearly came a cropper on what I thought was slush. It was sheet ice and nearly ended up in the stream! Finished off by riding Seagull which was fine.

You can make it interesting by using the RMA ridges and riding trails off of those. They can be quite steep but short climbs so ideal for a singlespeed!

So really I haven't been much help have I?

Reluctant
    Free Member

Too many acronyms for me! Whats DERA? And an RMA? 😕

martinh
    Free Member

At a guess –

Royal Military Academy (Sandhurst) – thats the area enclosed by camberley, sandhurst and swinley

and

Defence Evaluation and Research Agency (Which ceased to exist in 2001) an d I think should be called QINETIQ now and is, I think, the area across the A30 and M3 and south of Bagshot

petetheplumber
    Free Member

The Crowthorn part has suffered a very wet November a Gorrick race and a thaw out, much of the area is crap to ride all of the drainage has been completely overwhelmed.The usual technique used to keep it riding has not worked this time. The other areas are very wet but the armoured areas do a bit better. It’s hard to find a trail where you won’t bog less than ever 10ft. The only way to cover any distance is on the fire roads.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Conditions at swinley?’ is closed to new replies.