Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Conditions at Cannock
  • Recycler
    Free Member

Dear all

I have the opportunity to get out on Boxing Day and am planning to head out to Cannock Chase. Please can anyone let me know what the current conditions are like, given the rain we have had.

Thinking mainly of FtD and the Monkey Trail.

Thanks very much

I_Ache
    Free Member

The Monkey and FtD will be fine, just big puddles in the braking bumps. If Sutton Park is anything to go by then don’t go wondering off to checkout the cheeky stuff as it will be terrible.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Was thinking of maybe heading to sutton park over the festive period for a spin on the SS .. havent rode it in ages …

motozulu
    Free Member

Fraid they aint fine – went up 3 days ago – part of the Dog was closed off and some of the berms on the unclosed bits are degrading fast. Am going up tomorrow so will report back.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

I live 20min away and its been raining all morning here, so its gonna be wet, very very wet!

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks so far – rain and wet is a given at the moment, but just wanted to know if the trails are eopen and fit to ride, given the levels of precipitation.

Keef
    Free Member

time to give cannock trails a rest,fyd,munkee,and the ‘other’ stuff.
    it will be a swamp and needs time to recover.

nickdavies

Trails mainly open – currently a good chunk of monkey is closed for harvesting and the detour is basically a swim. It’s a claggy mess! I know they’re working on drainage at the moment so a couple of bits are closed off elsewhere.

Depending where you park, ride the dog, then head onto the monkey at the switch, when you cross the railway to start the monkey proper don’t follow the red route right, go straight over the crossroads, up the fire road and bear right up the next fire road. This brings you out at the top of the 2nd last descent on the monkey. Then carry on as usual back onto the dog. That’s the best of both worlds I think, I wouldn’t personally bother with the main of the monkey trail at the moment.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

Yup – the Chase is very waterlogged at the moment – any cheeky stuff is getting totally shreaded up.
    FYD & Monkey is 14 miles of greasy mud and puddles.
    I shall be sticking to the fireroads and bridleways until after we get a few days of dry weather.

Recycler
    Free Member

Thanks to one and all

Seasonal salutations!!

motozulu
    Free Member

Yep doing the blue tomorrow as it’s mostly hardpack and I won’t damage it. The Dog is’nt just closed for drainage work as the signs ask you not to ride the closed off part as you will ‘seriously damage it’s health’.

As much as I want to I think it would be a bit irresponsible to ride any of the Dog or Monkey right now as it needs time to recover.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Conditions at Cannock’ is closed to new replies.