Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Condesnation problem in my new car… Anyone got any ideas???
  • benz
    Free Member

Passat…

Pollen filter seal.

Foam which rots letting water down…see vents under front seats….potentially water closer to back.

VW apparently do not sell a new seal (under a tenner), only a replacement unit (about £150).

If it is this, get new filter and decent silicon sealer…job done.

mboy
    Free Member

Three Fish, many thanks again… Got the tools out this evening, removed the battery and the battery tray, lo and behold there was a good pound or two of compost underneath the battery tray, much of which was blocking the drains!

So cleared the lot out, poked the drain holes clean, put it all back together etc… Also probably spent almost 2 hours in the car today, all of it with the heater on full blast (opened a window periodically to let some cool air in and the humid air out). Hopefully soon it’ll all be dried out carpets aren’t wet at least) inside, and I’ll probably get one of those chemical dehumidifiers to boost things a bit.

Anything to beat having to scrape the INSIDE of the windscreen again such as I had to this morning before leaving to go to work!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Park it in the sunshine, that’ll dry the inside out.

hora
    Free Member

A good clean round with anti fungal (bathroom?) Spray would help. Spores etc in a dampwarm enclosed box. My old pug306 had been stood for 2yrs and I had to thoroughly scrub down the interior with this stuff as the spores had actually become visible/grown a lot!

anc
    Free Member

Under the carpet there is soundproofing which won’t dry out this time of year without you lifting the carpets and drying it out with heat. You want to do this if its wet because VW in there wisdom also put the ECU and control systems for the car under there and surprise surprise they ain’t keen on the damp conditions!

P.S remember the cartridge that holds the pollen filter is the real problem, unless this is fettled you will get water in again when it rains heavy whether the drain plug is OK or not.

globalti
    Free Member

You don’t need to keep opening the windows to let the air out! Just run the booster fan on 1 or 2 and it will push the air right through the car and out of the vents at the back. Take out the floor mats, keep them indoors for a couple of days to dry out and if possible this weekend park the car somewhere sunny or breezy with the doors or the windows open. Always have the fan running on 1, it’s amazing how many drivers still think the fan is for quick demisting jobs only; you see them peering through steamed up windows and wearing coats and hats in the car…. mostly the older drivers.

Oh and if your windows steam up easily, give them a really good clean inside. Most people don’t realise that the grey film on the insides of the windows is plasticiser that has migrated out of the trim; it’s the last problem the motor industry has never solved. The film attracts moisture and causes the windows to mist up much more readily than when they are clean.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Condesnation problem in my new car… Anyone got any ideas???’ is closed to new replies.