Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • condenser microphone kit
  • righog
    Free Member

Could someone recommend a condenser microphone kit that is compatible with a computer.

Price =/- £150 ( up to £200 if there is a must have one around)

To be used for youtube videos and the odd recording of songs

Thanks 🙂

Edit something like this….Just wondering if anyone knows of a better package or has experience of a different one.

Maplins Mic kit

dmorts

Depends on what soundcard you have as that kit doesn’t appear to have a mic preamp. Bit misleading to say it’s everything you need

leffeboy

seeing as no-one else is chipping in..
    The Maplin one you linked to won’t work as it doesn’t have a USB interface so might not be the best with your computer. It’s also a bit ‘no-name’ so it is difficult to work out what the quality will be like.

I would be more tempted with something like this http://www.thomann.de/gb/audio_technica_at2020_bundle.htm. Audio Technica are a known name in mics, behringer are cheap but good for the interface and the reviews on that site are usually reliable. If you want to look at other options just type ‘usb pre bundle’ into the search box. I think postage is around a tenner but you’ll need to check. It’s a also a great site if you have problems and need to send stuff back.

edit: I can’t say anything about the quality of that particular setup as I’ve never used it but it’s at the low end of your price range. I tend to spend a bit more on mics but I would expect it to be ok. You might need to buy a stand for the mic as well though. if you want a fancier mic of that style then the rode nt1 is usually well regarded but pricier

righog
    Free Member

Thanks Leffeboy,

That looks a good deal. After doing some research the one that was looking the most likely was the Audio Technica at2020 USB which is plug and play straight into the computer, but the phantom xlr version would add a little more versatile as it would plug into my Line six UX2 if needed.

It’s for my son to make podcasts so USB would be easiest, but a bit of useful crossover would be nice.

doris5000

these are very good:

also have a look at this – slightly old article but SOS reviews are very reliable

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb07/articles/usbmics.htm

righog
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies

Just for completeness I have gone for the following

Audio technica at 2020 XLR

Blue Iclicle XLR to usb converter

Rode PSA 1 Mic stand + pop shield and and mic mount

All from http://www.Thomman.de at around £180

squirrelking
    Free Member

Why does it need USB to work? My crappy mic works just fine with a 3.5mm jack.

leffeboy

You don’t actually need it for something basic, but if you are going to the trouble and expense of a condenser then it’s probable not a bad idea to improve the pre amp at the same time

righog
    Free Member

Why does it need USB to work? My crappy mic works just fine with a 3.5mm jack.

I am not sure TBH, what we use now goes through a 3.5 mm jack to a pre amp the to the music software so we can edit it.

Doris thanks for the info looks good, but my boy is keen on the at 2020

leffeboy

Will my UX2 not work as a pre amp if needed ? The icicle just seemed to give the versatility of a xlr with ease of use of a usb mic.

I have not pressed the trigger yet as I am not convinced we have thought out the software side of things as yet. So still time to go for the pack you recommended with the mic 100 ultragain.

so I am looking for a kit with an at2020 and some software included.

Any thoughts on the software ?

Again thanks for the replies

hammyuk
    Free Member

Amazon have a Samson mike, USB about to start on a flash sale at 3pm.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Just get the SE electronics USB one

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘condenser microphone kit’ is closed to new replies.