Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Condensation problem in outside garage.
  • mooman
    Free Member

Can anybody suggest a solution to solve the problem I have with condensation in my outside garage?
    Whenever we have a hard frost, the inside of the garage is dripping wet on every hard surface.
    The garage is a detached, block built and tiled apex roof. i leave the rear garage window open a little to aid ventilation. But still it gets damp.

Any suggestions?

qwerty
    Free Member

i’ve had this with mine

dunno what it is – but i wonder if its beer out the fridge syndrome = concrete base and blocks retain the frrezing cold as outside temp warms causing condensaion on the floor etc – just like a cold beer straight from the fridge and into a warm room gathers moisture on the bottle

of course this may be utter bollox

qwerty
    Free Member

wood burning stove may help dry it out

br
    Free Member

Install a damp proof layer?

nickjb
    Free Member

Add some vented tiles or a vented ridge

bear-uk
    Free Member

I had the same problems with a concrete/asbestos roof, tried all sorts to cure the problem. The only solution that worked was to line the inside with loft insulation. This stopped the frost/moisture from permutating through the roofing material. Air vents did not work or covering in damp proof paint.

bighendo
    Free Member

qwerty is correct, singleskin blockwork that absorbs rain then freezes in the winter, brrrrr!
    my garage is now covered in ivy, not a quick solution for sure, but very eco friendly,
    i`m amazed how dry it is, and seems if its dryer its less prone to condensation, even though it may be frosty,
    and, i had wrens, robins, 2 x blackbirds and doves nesting in it this year 🙂

neallyman
    Free Member

For condensation of any sort remember H.I.V.

Which in the case of condensation stands for HEATING – INSULATION -VENTILATION.

So, if condensation is warmer/moist air condensing on surface contact with a colder surface (ie an outside wall), then the only way to eradicate is to either (1) HEAT the air and dry it out (probably impractical if it’s an outside garage due to costs etc). (2) INSULATE the inner surface so that the contact surface is the same temperature as the room and not colder (known as a ‘cold-bridge’ and bascially the reason that cavity walls evolved). Or, (3) what is usually the best and cheapest method, as posted above, to VENTILATE. Dry, fresh air replaces the moist internal air and so is less prone to condensing on contact with the cold surface. Consider low and high level fresh air vents, trickle vents on windows, eaves vents, apex/ridge vents etc in roof.

Of-course the best thing is to do all 3.

Also, make sure there are no tumble driers operating, exercise bikes/turbo’s, home gyms or ‘any other activities’ happening in the garage that will cause a lot of ‘warm moist air’….

mooman
    Free Member

Thanks all.
    There is a tumble drier in there .. but the vent is blowing outside, so wouldnt think that would cause too much problem.
    I painted the inside walls with masonry paint and the floor with thompsons water seal earlier this year. There is a vent high in the apex and there is also enough draughts coming in around the roller door, side door and the rear window … I thought there was adequate ventilation .. obviously not.

Thanks again all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Condensation problem in outside garage.’ is closed to new replies.