• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Concussion.
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Junior was messing about after training last night and came off the 5m diving board and landed on his side. He woke us up last night with a headache and then was sick. This morning he seemed fine, headache was gone but he hasn’t bothered going to school. From the symptoms I’m thinking he may have had mild concussion so just wondering if he should take some time off training. He has a few days off for Christmas anyway but he won’t want to take weeks off. I think high impact sports like rugby suggest 3 weeks for mild concussion but I don’t think diving is classed as high impact, not if done right anyway. Does anybody know better than this?

DezB
    Free Member

Pretty long, but a comprehensive guide here –

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/bjsports/47/5/263.full.pdf

I’ve got a “all sports” guide in my car, but not sure where I got it from. If I find it, will post the link.

Stoner
    Free Member
    Stoner
    Free Member
    DezB
    Free Member

Not asking about rugby, Stoner.

Stupid.is
    Free Member

First off I would get him seen by a Doctor as any concussion can be serious and the good news is the NHS take the same view. Given he has been sick some time after he might have taken more of an impact than you think.

As for when to get back. I would say three weeks is about right. I went over the bars a month or so back taking a good blow to the head. 3 weeks seems like about the time it took be to being back feeling 100% right. As you say diving when done right is safe, but if he is not functioning at 100% then the risk of a repeated head injury goes up as he is more likely to make a mistake.

Hope this helps and Junior is feeling better.

anagallis_arvensis

Headache and sick…I’d be tempted to get him checked by a professional before doing anything.

Stoner
    Free Member

the cause of the concussion is fairly immaterial. Would you quibble about which sort caused a broken arm?

The return to play structure can be applied to most activities to prevent additional damage while under observation.

Drac

See a Dr.

sharkbait
    Free Member

First off I would get him seen by a Doctor as any concussion can be serious

Very much this. A good friends, sport mad, 12yo son took a knock to the head about 18 months ago during a rugby match and felt ill the following day.
    To cut a long story short he ended up missing a lot of school (lack of concentration and needing more sleep), still has issues and has been advised to not play ANY sport that might involve the potential for a blow to the head. The parents have taken advise from the best they can find in both the UK and USA!

finishthat
    Free Member

Landing on side could have impacted inner ear – definitely get checked.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Other half has taken him to the doctors now.

DezB
    Free Member

the cause of the concussion is fairly immaterial. Would you quibble about which sort caused a broken arm?

Not what I meant at all. The question was quite specific as to whether diving would be considered an impact sport like rugby (OP knew rugby protocols). No need to get snippy.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Landing on side could have impacted inner ea

Burst my eardrum landing from a bad jump on the wakeboard. Hurt like hell at the time.

Hopefully junior will be just fine. I’m not sure there’s much you can do about concussion other than monitor him and try an get him to be honest about how he’s feeling.

spawnofyorkshire

Best course of action, I’ve had concussions in the past and they can be really debilitating. Also follow the advice and the timeframes provided, it may seem like the kid is feeling better but they are at risk for quite a while after so don’t rush back to normal

Drac

Excellent!

BillOddie

Get to the Dr’s to get checked out.

2 weeks off all sport

Assuming symtoom free for 2 weeks, then a graduated return to sport, increasing intensity every 48 hours if no symptoms.

Jr might not want best part of 3 weeks off but kids are bloody stupid at the best of times.

Also limit sugar and exposure to “screens”.

Stoner
    Free Member

not snippy dez, just that the RFU protocols are not just for impact sports and the OP’s interpretation of what he thinks applies to Rugby is not entirely correct.

as BO says, 2 weeks of rest, then the GRTP over stages 1-6 (as long as symptom free and cleared by doc) which can apply to any sport.

Yak

As everyone said above.
    My lad had a mild concussion. Drs handed out the RFU guidance above. My lad doesn’t play rugby, but the drs said it was the best advice going. We stuck at it and it took 6 weeks to be symptom free. Good luck to your lad OP and take your time with this.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Does anybody know better than this?

Your Doctor.

DezB
    Free Member

Cool, sounds like the correct thing’s being done. He could do diving as long as he goes in feet first 😉

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

They will go in feet first if they have injured hands or wrists and that’s preventing them diving normally. No diving and limited screen time over Christmas, oh joy!

DanW
    Free Member

Glad to see he jr is seeing the Doc

One thing I would say is to try and keep an open mind as to “symptoms”. The links posted are pretty good. Headache and feeling sick are just part of it. I’ve had everything from waking up completely disorientated and in real panic, pretty scary mood changes for several weeks, concentration problems… all sorts of fairly subtle things from an outside view. Hard to keep on top of a little ‘un that just wants to be active but concussions can be scary things so why rush back

Drac

Yup the RFU are really shit hot on this for obvious reasons, my nephew developed concussion playing Rugby and the advice they gave was excellent.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Update. GP took his temperature, looked in his ear had a wee chat and decided he was probably ok but that we should check with the coaches to see what guidelines they have. We’re waiting to hear back from the senior coach but it looks like he’s going back on the 3rd.

Ioneonic

2 weeks off all sport

Assuming symptom free for 2 weeks, then a graduated return to sport, increasing intensity every 48 hours if no symptoms.

This. Key part is 2 weeks symptom free before graduated return to any sport. I absolutely wouldn’t rush it. Setbacks can be very prolonged.

COI Doctor and rugby coach
    I use the RFU guidance for all sports now. I haven’t seen better.
    (It is refreshing to see the viewpoints above…10 years ago I think most of our answers would have been very different)

Drac

Good to hear he’s likely Ok

Yup Dougal seriously ignored for years

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Concussion.’ is closed to new replies.