• This topic has 10 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by randykurm-spam.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Concrete / pre-fabricated garages
  • Superficial
    Free Member

I’m thinking of buying a house. It’s currently got a wooden “garage” which is more of a shed, although it’s on a solid base. I was looking at ways to upgrade this cheaply and I’ve seen on Google various concrete / prefabricated garages that can be installed for around £3-4k. Because they’re classified as temporary structures, they don’t need planning permission. Examples here: http://www.lidget.co.uk/

Has anyone bought / used one of these things?
    Are they secure?
    It’s hard to see from the pictures, but some of the pebble-dashed options look really tacky. Are they a complete eye-sore that would piss off the neighbours?

TheBrick
    Free Member

I got one for free that someone wanted to get rid off, saved them paying foe someone to get rid of. They are secure as you make the door. The actual panels are secure, at lease mine are.

They are not pretty if left as is but painted they look fine.

ton

I have one you can have for free, if you want to come and take it down.

Superficial
    Free Member

TheBrick: Hmm, thanks. Is yours waterproof?

EDIT – ton, why don’t you want your any longer?

ton

cos I don’t use it at all now. bike live in the kitchen, kids have grown up and we don’t have to store toys.
    stuff for the garden is kept in the shed.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Yep mine is waterproof. It has a pitched roof, so not exactly like the one in your link. Its not insulated or heated in anyway, just sitting on a concrete slab so can get damp from condensation, but that is the same with any single skin building.

gray

I’ve also got one that I’m looking to get rid of soon. Free to anyone willing to dismantle and remove! In Oxford. Fairly watertight, but old, scruffy, and asbestos roof. Free though! Oh and did I mention that it’s free?

trail_rat
    Free Member

i have a pebble dashed one … its no different to a pebble dashed house really …. i have been tempted to paint mine the same colour as the house though as i dont like it

watch your heights – the flat roofed ones are really low – of course you can stick them on a course or 2 of brick.

mines is waterproof but due to it being low i just use it for storage really.

fieldy
    Free Member

If you’re half decent on the handyman side you could knock a breeze block garage with apex roof for £3 – £4k…depending on size of course and whether you would chance it without planning permission.

If installing a pre-fab garage take care with the panels as they are mega heavy!!

cannondaleking
    Free Member

go the breeze block route mate and then have the out side rendered much better looking and easier to put together than the heavy back breaking concrete slate poop and its also fully weather tight and you can build it the size you want not what it comes as 😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

That’s not really true about the temporary structures thing although if you are replacing an existing structure then you’d probably be okay. I wouldn’t stake my life on it though! Also check out the rules on permitted development (look on the Planning Portal for their handy interactive guide).
    They define temporary structures as those being intended to remain in place for 28 days or less.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Concrete / pre-fabricated garages’ is closed to new replies.