Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Concrete bobsleigh
  • andrewh
    Free Member

Idea occured to me while reading the bit about the uplift at Inners.
    Why has no-one built a concrete bobsleigh track and fitted some wheels to a bobsleigh?
    Could we all get together and build one?

Harry_the_Spider

This would have the same outcome as a Chuck Norris knock-knock joke.

Knock knock
    Who’s there?
    Death

wwaswas

Like this?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipyqa7tnFEc[/video]

some random gurning at the start but gives a reasonable idea of what it is.

In Llandudno.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s been done

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS6b1ZUDyEI[/video]

Few round europe too by all accounts

Pook

he looks quite excited at 48′

wwaswas

This one in Austria is a bit faster;

[video]http://youtu.be/MUVFiNVRvEU[/video]

ac282

They already exist. My next door neighbour assumed they would be idiot-proof and didn’t bother brake for some corners.

He crashed and removed half his skin.

andrewh
    Free Member

Kind of disapointed in that I haven’t invented something new.
    Kind of pleased in that if they already exist maybe I can have a go on one!

Steelsreal

did it in Latvia on th eolympic track, bit scary and the bobsleigh had some interesting welding to say the least..

Helmets that they provided were all cracked and some had holes…very fast though

hammerite
    Free Member

ac282
    They already exist. My next door neighbour assumed they would be idiot-proof and didn’t bother brake for some corners.

He crashed and removed half his skin.

Mmmmm I did a similar thing in Alpe d’Huez on the plastic track. Did a few runs on the slow run, no braking required. Then moved over on to the fast run and thought it would be the same, I missed the big sign which said “BRAKE” in French and was promptly launched through the air.

The attendants just laughed and sprayed me with antiseptic spray, and I then noticed them all covered in grazes and scars 😆

I spent the drive home to the UK with my hand and arm dripping juice all over the car seat/floor as I held onto the car steering wheel 😯

purpleyeti
    Free Member

i used to work at the llandudno one, was great fun as a teenager and you could get round the track with out breaking just, depending on which karts you were in.

molgrips
    Free Member

There used to be one at Alton Towers some 30 years ago.

singletracked
    Free Member

I remember the one at Alton Towers, 30 years ago. It was the first thing i thought of on reading this thread

failedengineer

I went on one in France years ago with my daughter. I also foolishly said that there would be no need to brake for the corners. I’ve still got the scar ……

bland

when i was a kid we went to a caravan site on the east coast somewhere that had one made out of asbestos, and rather worryingly the brake was a metal bar that gouged into the surface

v8ninety

30 years!!!! 😯 I feel old…

molgrips
    Free Member

It was there the first time I went to Alton Towers but not subsequently, to my disappointment cos it was one of my favourite things being something you had to actively do rather than just sit there for the ride.

Rio

Did it on the Lillehammer track a few years ago, the bobsleigh seemed to be made out of scrap metal with some wheels from a wheelbarrow and no suspension (the concrete isn’t as smooth as it looks so that matters!). When we got to the bottom I realised I’d been holding on so tightly I’d removed big chunks of skin from my hands.

Edit: found a picture:

v8ninety

It was there the first time I went to Alton Towers but not subsequently, to my disappointment cos it was one of my favourite things being something you had to actively do rather than just sit there for the ride.

My experience too…

Pook

There was one in a pub beer garden in either devon/cornwall/north yorks/somewhere else* when I was a kid

*I can’t remember where. I was only little and not allowed on it :o(

Steelsreal

Did it on the Lillehammer track a few years ago, the bobsleigh seemed to be made out of scrap metal with some wheels from a wheelbarrow and no suspension (the concrete isn’t as smooth as it looks so that matters!). When we got to the bottom I realised I’d been holding on so tightly I’d removed big chunks of skin from my hands

That one looks positively luxurious compared to the latvian attempt. all was well until i decided to look out during the corkscrew turn….two days of drinking very nearly caught up with me at that point….

OmarLittle
    Free Member

feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up…its bobsleigh time

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crashed on the chamonix one many, many years ago pushing each run faster and faster. My sweatshirt melted to the shirt underneath and I have the scars still. Great fun until you come off!!!!

hairyscary

I managed the same on the one at Alp D’uez. First go I was determined not to use the brakes…..it ended with me sliding upside-down into the final straight.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I rode the Alton towers one! A friend nearly lost his front teeth. There was too much reliance on the participant to actually have the intelligence to brake!!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Concrete bobsleigh’ is closed to new replies.