Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Concept 2 rowers – does anyone do long sessions on them, 10000 metres+ ??
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I quite like doing intervals on them but I’m currently living in a hotel so I thought put some time in on one and did 10,000 metres….what a boring grind, probably did some good but do folk to that regular?

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I do 5km quite often but only because my gym did a challenge at the following distances;
    100m
    500m
    1000m
    2000m
    5000m
    …and I won the 5km challenge! . I think my “winning” time was something like 18:35. I quite like it to be honest, I set the pace boat at around 1:47 and just sit there but its a good distance, enough to start aching, not enough to elave you too tired to then do something else.

I have done 10km once to see how much different my run time compared for the same distance which was interesting. Running, my pb is 44:51 and I think I rowed it in about 39:50.

bagpuss
    Free Member

Used to when I had gym membership. Rowing is the only thing I mss about the gym really. 10km would take me about 32 mins.

rooney
    Free Member

Oh yeh, use C2 from October to February instead of swimming. 10k is nice, go for a half or full marathon then it’s tough, especially on he ass!
    In December me and few friends try and row the date, 10k a day until 10th then you row date in k’s. never managed the full lot yet, usually miss a few days but gets to 450k in a month.

Fueled
    Free Member

Back in the day when I used to row properly, “Power Hour” used to be a regular session.

It got a bit silly while training for the Boston Marathon (50km), I did a single session that lasted the entire length of the first Lord Of The Rings Film (only theatrical cut mind). Was walking funny for days after that.

Helios
    Free Member

Nope – but I like making my crews do them while I’m in the pub… Seriously tho – I used to find 5k to be tedious so I have very little keenness for longer distances personally… Give my a long day on the water over an hour on the erg any day…

davidjones15
    Free Member

Broke it down to 3X5km in days gone by.
    Currently doing 6km on a regular basis.
    10km? 😯

rooney
    Free Member

32minutes?!? You hold the record mate that’s awesome!

TiRed

When unable to cycle due to a long car commute, I used to row 10K per session. 50K per week. The bum gives up first, but will harden up. Just take it easy and a nice steady 2:00/500m with a big sprint at every 2000 for fun.

It’s the only thing in the gym worth using, in my opinion.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I did a half marathon a while back in around 1h30mins. God knows what the neighbours thought, I started it around midnight.

Used to do regular 5 & 10k’s. Think my 10k record stood at 37mins.

Was well chuffed when I broke into the sub7 2k club. Would struggle to get go sub8 at the moment!

Totally regret selling my ergo. Best possible indoor workout. Stick some music on and away you go.

Jason
    Free Member

When I used to go to the gym lots I often did long (30mins, 10k, 1hr, HM) efforts on the Concept2. I can only remember doing a full marathon distance twice. The first time I managed just under 3hrs, and found it fairly easy (although slightly tedious!) so tthought I would give it another go and got down something like 2:45, I did bother trying again after that..

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I did it in 44 mins which for a non rower I didn’t think was bad; it was my arse that made me think it was a grind but from a physical meditation point of view I can see how folk might get into it.

It was a good work out and quite enjoyed the stares from the folk who’d come and gone as I continued.

Strangely, an hour later I’m starting to think I enjoyed it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

holy smoke respect to some of you erg’s are THE most boring thing but they do give a phenomenal all over work out!! used to do 30 mins in gym when I rowed have you see the stuff the oxford/Cambridge boats do insane.

richmars

Many years ago I used to do 1 hour sessions. Seem to remember about 16000m but could be wrong.

monkfish
    Free Member

Do them a couple of times a week. I tend to break them down into 2k chunks and Its not so bad.

Hour sessions also fly by if you break them down in a similar manner.

geologist
    Free Member

I have been using one every week day for about 6 months. I dont tend to do a straight 10k straight off, but i almost always do over 10k in a session, ie 10 X 6 minutes etc.

The real test is your 2000 m time, aim for under 7 minutes, my first one, as a fit person but with no rowing was 7:45, Im now at 7:05. When I break 7 mins, I will be happy 🙂

seadog101

10K is my regular goal, normally doing it in a shade under 40mins. It’s easier on the brain if you get a log card, then you can race against yourself. Just doing it off the bat id really hard for me.

bagpuss
    Free Member

I must have got that wrong, just checked the records and heavyweight men are mid 32 mins and I’m not that quick. 😳

500m in 1’29 5th at the gym I used to use. 2,000m in 6’35. In the annual rowing challenge in work I’d aim for 3k in 10 mins, not made that yet but close.

Cannot imagine doing a marathon distance on one but have wasted time looking for a second hand one this evening so you never know.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I guess that whacking it on full resistance and trying to keep over 250m/min for as long as possible isn’t really a training technique

geologist
    Free Member

its harder to do it on force 3/4, that more closely simulates the force of water, and is what they set the resistance to at indoor rowing comps.

Its easier to pull, but its hard to get the tension to pull sub 2 mins/500 for a period of time.

TiRed

I’m a lightweight and always row on 3. Steady is 2:00 and easy is 2:30. Like pedaling, technique plays a big part. Sub seven minute 2000m was barely diable for me in my prime! So I concentrated on distance. And 44min is a great start. You’ll drop 10% just by practice.

rooney
    Free Member

Don’t go with the settings they mean nothing as every machine is different it’s the drag factor that counts. You’ll find this through the settings on head unit. Once you get a drag you like then you can replicate on any machine…

Eg my erg at level 4.5 is 126 drag and I like this , old erg at gym level 9 gives me this but that’s cause it needs cleaned.

It’s worth looking at 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

remember technique like anything is important drive with legs until knees straight pull with arms all rhetoric way to the catch so technically pulls arms into chest release arms straight over knees first then bend legs doing other super quick doesn’t make you best lots about driving with legs and arms to get pull.

zilog6128

That would probably make more sense if you weren’t typing whilst actually rowing 🙂

sausagefingers
    Free Member

i’m just getting back into using mine after doing nack all for 2 years due to a recurring injury.
    i find the c2 absolute agony being so unfit but i keep trying.i’m currently doing 4500m twice a day but my times are embarrasingly slow,i’ve hit the beer and piled the weight on so only feel comfortable rowing at home – can’t face going out on the bike much as i’m out of puff in no time but i’m certainly feeling better after a few weeks on the c2 so,fingers crossed, i’ll shift some lard and get back out on the bike 😀
    hats off to some of the times posted on here,impressive stuff

molgrips
    Free Member

Gah, boring.

I’d rather do something creative with weights or kettlebells or something.

evh22
    Free Member

You need to stick this on your wall for motivation like they did in the gym in Oxford with this

The time for honouring yourself will soon be at an end

zilog6128

Gah, boring.

I’d rather do something creative with weights or kettlebells or something.No way I’d do a 10k or longer on an erg – rather ride my bike or go for a run – but a 2k time trial is a great test of fitness/strength and gives you a good benchmark.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Its a great workout from the erg.

2km in 7 minutes sounds like a bit of a beast of a challenge.

I’m currently juuuust under 7.5km in 30mins – used to be churning out around 7.8k in the same time, two or three years back.

zilog6128

2km in 7 minutes sounds like a bit of a beast of a challenge.

Yes, it is! Currently at 7:13 and that damn near killed me last time 😆

allthepies
    Free Member

Always warm up in the gym on a C2, only do 5 mins though 🙂

nick1c
    Free Member

I “row” to rugby games – 7500m per 1/2. The most I have managed is 30K on consecutive days (World cup 1/4’s last year). It serves the dual function of alleviating the tedium of rowing long distances & stopping me feel guilty for watching, not doing, sport. All done at a gentleman’s pace mind you – I’m old, fat & don’t like pain.

Albanach
    Free Member

I was doing 30:30Rest intervals and 8 interval took me to just over 2000m. Now doing 3 sets of 8 20:10Rest intervals and getting to around 3500m and I’m absolutely shafted at that. Not sure if these figures are any good!? Both of those setting drag factor at 125 thanks to some advice previously on here.

mrben100
    Free Member

About a year ago, the gym I go to had a competition/prizes for anyone rowed a cumulative distance of 22miles (approximately the channel) or 35,406m within the month to encourage people.

I had a week off work and did it in one go. Was a Concept II on level 5 and took a fraction over 2hrs 16mins. From 20K onwards my bum bones? were in agony.

Regularly row 5K at the gym on level 10. Current best 17mins 47secs.

Pop in the odd 10K or 15K but very rarely.

Oh yeah, and I love rowing machines and never get bored which helps I should imagine!

zilog6128

About a year ago, the gym I go to had a competition/prizes for anyone rowed a cumulative distance of 22miles (approximately the channel) or 35,406m within the month to encourage people.

I had a week off work and did it in one go. Was a Concept II on level 5 and took a fraction over 2hrs 16mins. From 20K onwards my bum bones? were in agony.Sounds like a good effort on your part. Is everyone else at your gym really, really unfit though? 35k in a month is nothing!

mrben100
    Free Member

zilog6128 – Member

Sounds like a good effort on your part. Is everyone else at your gym really, really unfit though? 35k in a month is nothing!

The gym’s pretty much full of people lifting weights. They weren’t massive prizes, was just an attempt by the owner to encourage people to get fitter.

mrben100
    Free Member

Double bloody post!

Garry_Lager

What’s the script with the 1-10 setting on the conceptII? Was used to setting it to a manly 10 but a serious rower told me not to do that as it does your back no favours.

zilog6128

It depends. If you are built like Geoff Capes then go for it. Alternatively, google “concept 2 drag factor” to get the lowdown.

TiRed

it’s a bit like spinning vs. grinding gears. 3 is the closest to water resistance, and allows a higher cadence/stroke rate. 10 is for serious grunting. I’m a 3.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Concept 2 rowers – does anyone do long sessions on them, 10000 metres+ ??’ is closed to new replies.