• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by poah.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Comrie Croft Off Piste?
  • greigb
    Free Member

Evening all. I’ve made plans to join a mate for a quick session at Comrie Croft. I do like the riding there, but I don’t think I’m unfair in saying it’s not expansive; there are only so many times I can face the climb to the top in one day.

Is there any off piste around the trail centre that’s not on Trailforks (seems to have the standard routes only), or failing that, in the local area? I’m quite familiar with the trails at Crieff Hydro, but not much else. Preference for technical trails, singletrack etc, less so for landrover track and fireroad. What’s aboot?!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Was up a couple of weeks ago, spotted quite a few wee tracks darting off, dunno if they go anywhere though.

Glendevon just down the road if you’re going from the south, some decent looking stuff there.

akira

You can head up through laggan wood in comrie and ride all the way up to Melville’s monument then back down the Deils cauldron. Got to be aware of people walking but a nice little ride.

matt_outandabout

^ Akira has it.
    Add in the Knock area above the Hydro.

greigb
    Free Member

Nobeer: interesting, think my mate just wants a quick hit then carry on with his day so probs not up for exploring dead ends, but perhaps there’s some cheeky on the go. I have ridden Glendevon, it’s good, Dark Side of the Loam is gnarly!

Akira: now you mention it I think I did a casual walk up there a few years ago, seem to remember a lot of wooden steps but maybe I was on the wrong trail?

akira

You can avoid the woodwork with planning. If it’s really quiet down the front of the monument is pretty technical.

hainman
    Free Member

@griegb have you ridden the gems at crieff hydro

greigb
    Free Member

Thanks Akira, sounds like it’s definitely worth a Strava snoop and explore on the ground. I saved my legs for last minute Sunday plans instead of stopping off in Comrie, but I will be back up.

Hainman, yes indeed, really like the Hydro trails, steep. Always surprised how few riders I see when I’m up there, maybe not too many in the local area?

frazchops
    Free Member

I usually park at Gilmerton, ride the trails at Crieff Hydro, then up to Loch Turret and up to the peak on the East side of the reservoir and back down the ‘goat’ track. Then hit the fire road heading west, you can then do a wee walk through the woods to appear at the top of Comrie. You can then head back to the Hydro trails via a wee bit of tarmac and a blast through the woods at Lochlane (which essentially brigdes the two wee towns).

A wee bit of strava, trailforks and an OS map and it’s easily pieced together.

Be careful of the Gamekeeper at Loch Turret he is a massive unmentionable.

poah
    Free Member

hainman – Member
    @griegb have you ridden the gems at crieff hydro

Do some of the trails up there not get riden or maintained. Went down a steep one that turned into an overgrown mess.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Comrie Croft Off Piste?’ is closed to new replies.