Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • computertrackworld help
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

Bon Soir,

Slight potential issue with my home laptop. Am running Windows 7 Pro (32-bit) since having given up on Vista. The inbuilt webcam has not worked / been accessible since the OS change.

Sat down this evening to try and sort it. Checking the system info the RAM is noted as being 4GB but in brackets it says 2.93GB usable.

Does this mean one of my RAM sticks is borked or is it a [yet again shitty] Windows quirk?

z1ppy

Windows 7 32-bit works the same as XP 32-bit with respect to RAM recognition. No difference. It will see 4GB, but only address 3.XGB.
    A 64-bit OS will see and address your 4GB or more of RAM.

From MS technet site

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778(VS.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does this mean one of my RAM sticks is borked or is it a [yet again shitty] Windows quirk?

[quote]

The RAM issue is most likely something that all 32bit OS’s will suffer from where they can only address 4Gb in total, Quick guess that the laptop has 1Gb on a Graphics card so it can only use 3 of the main RAM.

Is the chipset 64bit? If it is installing Win 7 64 will fix that issue, if not then you are at your limit.

Who makes the laptop? Sounds like you need a driver for the Webcam running under Win 7. Normally go to the manufacturers site and find the support/dl page enter your laptop model etc. and get the right drivers – normally an entire set for a laptop running under win 7.

Fairly straight forward.

z1ppy
    mk1fan
    Free Member

Cool, as long as it is likely to be a Windows ‘benefit’ rather than a broken bit of ware then fine.

The webcam is inbuilt (HP G60 laptop) and Windows is saying the driver and device is working but won’t access / turn it on.

It’s only an issue as I went to use Skype for the first time since loading Win7 the other day and the webcam wouldn’t work [had been using my tablet for Skype].

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘computertrackworld help’ is closed to new replies.