Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • computer updates.
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

just got my laptop back from the computer shop, where they backed up files, uninstalled XP etc and reinstalled it all, so that it runs fast enough for me to be able to use it.
    they used the original discs that came with it.
    now getting pop ups telling me to update my laptop with all the security things – there are 33 things to download and install. i tried doing ONE of the service packs for XP and after 30 mins, nothing had happened (so it seemed).

should i do all 30 of these things??!! its gonna take hours and hours and hours, and i’ve just not got the time.

also, how do i get rid of norton properly? i seem to remember it is difficult to get rid of, but i REALLY don’t want it on my laptop.

wwaswas

depends how old the disks were but you could have Gb’s of dowloads and updates to do.

it’s worth doing and I think with the new update software you can stop and start it at will.

enfht
    Free Member

You have to question the credentials of a shop who give back an unpatched machine that could potentially be compromised the moment it’s used online.

glenh
    Free Member

The service packs contain loads of updates and are quite large. It probably appeared to do nothing because it was still downloading.

Most of the other updates won’t be that big.

glenh
    Free Member

btw, if you have broadband it shouldn’t to *too* long….

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

will they slow the computer down?

wwaswas

not in themselves really.

what they will do is make sure it’s upto date in terms of fixing bugs in the o/s and security stuff.

what normally slows pc’s down is people loading 60 applications that all sit there using a little bit of resource waiting for you to do soemthing with them.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

hmm, if i leave it over night, working away, will that do? or do i have to do things as it goes along?

glenh
    Free Member

You might need to click a few things with the service pack, but seriously, it should only take half an hour max to download on a broadband connection.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘computer updates.’ is closed to new replies.