Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • computer techs please..
  • Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i have found my old laptop in the loft, with vista on and i have no clue what the password is to login.

i need to access it to grab some old documents.

any advice or tips.

many thanks

nick

ps. can email me if needed .

regards

z1ppy

http://www.pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/

or remove the hdd and slave it to another pc (will require changing file permissions, but nothing outlandishly difficult or technical).

dr_adams
    Free Member

ermmm you should be able to boot into safe mood, log on as admin and manage accounts and sort out the password from there i believe….

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

When I had this problem with a friend’s pc, I just plugged the hard-drive in as a slave & copied the files off that way – much easier (for me, anyway).

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Admin account is disabled by default on Vista so as z1ppy said.

spacemonkey

I did the same with an Win XP laptop a while back. Check out Tech Support Forum because there’s a thread on there about downloading a certain piece of s/w that pulls out your password. Really easy to run. Should work on Vista too.

JohnnyPanic

What z1ppy said.

toys19
    Free Member

Google emergency boot cd. It has password apps.

z1ppy

Knew I’d seen an article on it lately (but couldn’t find it yesterday)

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

that looks spot on.

any ideas how to make a bootable disc? i got the iso but now need to create a bootable disc to auto run??

im on a mac but could have access to a win machine.

thanks

cranberry
    Free Member

write the ISO image to a CD – it will be bootable.

Note that for some PCs you might have to interrupt the boot sequence in order to get the machine to boot from the optical drive – watch what is displayed on screen just after you power on.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

so just drop the iso in on a data disc and burn and it should be bootable correct??

schrickvr6
    Free Member

It needs to be burnt as an ISO, with nero you can just double click it and nero does the rest, some other burners and older versions of nero will configure everything if you change the extension from .ISO to .NRG

dee66
    Free Member

Kind of correct! Most cd burning software should know what an iso is and make a disc from it.
    An iso file being a disc image.
    I right click an iso file choose ‘burn with imgburn’ and it does it’s thing.
    You could however create a data disk with the iso file on which wouldn’t work for you.

Conqueror
    Free Member
    toys19
    Free Member

yeah those above are correct, if you just dump the iso file on the cd and burn it, you will end up with a data cd with an iso file on it. You need something that will burn the iso image to the cd, the software recommended above will do it nice..

AUGISYF

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

if i extract the files from the iso and then burn it, will it work like that? or should i just get the other software people have mentioned?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

ok just created the disc. went into the bios , changed the boot settings to cd, then hdd and it boots up into the login at windows and doesnt go into any booted software?

any ideas…..

toys19
    Free Member

better to just get the software they recommended.

Conqueror
    Free Member

need to change the boot order in the bios such that the CD/DVD is the first boot device

then when you switch on the pc you have a small amount of time after the bios post screen to push a key to tell it to boot off the cd.. if you don’t press anything.. it will then automatically boot off the next device (which will most likely be the hard drive).

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

ok so is that just any key or a specific one?

VanMan
    Free Member

Guessing the CD didn’t get created properly, if you open it on the mac is it a load of files or just one *.iso file?

Try following this as it also mentions ophcrack which normally works.

Apologies if this is what you have already done though 🙂

xiphon
    Free Member

http://www.imgburn.com

Best CD writing software by a mile.

The ‘ISO’ is like a photograph of a CD. An exact copy.

When you burn an ISO, it’s like imprinting that photograph onto the CD, so you create another replica.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

hey vanman,. yes thats what i had done.

so i guess thats completed right.

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

so thanks for all your help. managed to get it to boot up BUT now it does everything is says and finds my username but says under nt pwd that no password is found?

i tried now just pressing enter to log in and doesnt work, so must be a password on the account?

nick

z1ppy

change the password anyway & try again?

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i dont see an option to change the password in ophcrack??

z1ppy

sorry assumed you were talking about “offline NT password editor”.. wasn’t really following the thread.. Opps…

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

no probs.. im stuck guys. cant seem to get any further?

nick

VanMan
    Free Member

Sorry about not responding earlier, work got in the way. If ophcrack didn’t find a password try one of the other utilities mentioned above (or google xp password recovery), now that you have a boot cd it shouldn’t take long. Ophcrack tries a brute force dictionary attack if memory serves, so just cause it failed doesn’t mean one of the others won’t work.

toys19
    Free Member

there is a password recovery editor on ebcd. Works every time for me, you just over write the existing passwords. Easy.

toys19
    Free Member

ebcd

edit actually dunno if it works with vista, but if you need the data then just download a live cd version of linux, load it, copy the data to an external hard drive.

toys19
    Free Member

Nick, if you get stuck just post it to me with a usb stick and I’ll get the data off for you in return for love and good feelings.

brassneck

If the ebcd one is the one I’ve used in the past, it’s slightly bugged – you can reset the Administrator account, but it has to be to a blank password (i.e. login as Administrator, no password when you boot back up)

Can’t remember the tool name, but it was used off a linux boot disk. Worked every time with that caveat though.

toys19
    Free Member

brassneck – I think you are right. I haven’t used it for a while as I use linux Live CD (on bootable usb AMAP) these days to hack into other PC’s. Live cd gives you a gui and the like along with the terminal, just more pleasant to use..

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

i would do, but im in innsbruck, austria.

so postage would cost a fair bit lol….

id also like to be able to use the laptop again so changing the password or just removing it would be great.

i understand nothing of the ebcd. i just searched it and not sure where the password recovery is.

i need an iso to as im on a mac and need to burn the iso as i cant run a .exe file.

thanks for your time guys

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘computer techs please..’ is closed to new replies.