Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • computer question.can you recommend a good free driver checker/fixer software?
  • racefaceec90

have a load of drivers that need to be fixed.have downloaded a program called free windows registry repair,but it doesn’t actually fix them (even though it says it has done).thanking you in advance 🙂

Drac

CCleaner get rid of any old drivers left lying around even maybe the uninstall the drivers you have on. Download new ones when it’s done and install.

Often the problems with drivers is that the old ones weren’t uninstalled properly so they cause conflicts. Unless it’s ATi then it’s because they do shite drivers.

racefaceec90

thanks Drac,that is great.have just done a full scan and clean.cheers!

Drac

No worries. Cracking little bit of software worth running everyone once in awhile.

Cougar

have a load of drivers that need to be fixed

… what makes you say that?

have downloaded a program called free windows registry repair

Yeah, don’t do that. Is your registry broken? If not, it doesn’t need “fixing,” neither does it need “washing,” “cleaning” or anything else that these crapware peddlers insist you do. Unless there’s a specific problem, the best thing you can do with the registry is leave it alone.

CCleaner get rid of any old drivers left lying around

CCleaner gets rid of assorted cruft, but it can occasionally cause issues. I recommend TFC for this task these days, it’s safer than CCleaner and more thorough.

If you’re looking for a way of updating software outside of Windows Update, have a look at Secunia PSI. It’s a bit of a drama queen in its language but it’s a nice way of trapping for outdated copies of Flash, Java et al which are common points of malware infection. PSI won’t help you with drivers, but I’m loathe to advise on this until I’ve got a handle on why you think there’s a problem.

Drac

Never heard of TFC, going to take a look.

I’ve just ran CCleaner so let’s see if this finds anything else, personally CC hasn’t caused me any problems.

Drac

Hmm then again it’s not been updated for 2 years, I’ll think I won’t bother.

It also seem to only clean temp files, not like CC which find dead links and files through the registry.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘computer question.can you recommend a good free driver checker/fixer software?’ is closed to new replies.