Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Computer question – RAM and power
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Does having more physical RAM used actually consume more power?

My laptop was good for 6 hours last time I used it on battery (a few days ago) now I’ve got an idle app server running, most of the ram is used, and it’s only good for 4.

CPU is ticking over same as always. It’s either that or the flash ads on this site.

reidy
    Free Member

more sticks = more power required
    Higher density = ever so slightly more power draw per clock cycle too

bottom line, RAM IIRC consumes ~2watts per stick so no, there’s no way that it could account for the drop in battery life

choron
    Free Member

Yup, each bit of memory is like a tiny battery that gets charged hundreds of millions of times a second.

Having said that, the difference in powers seems extreme. Perhaps try screen brightness and other settings as these can hammer the batteries.

scuzz
    Free Member

The battery life will be affected by the processes running which are keeping your RAM full

Russell96

Won’t having more RAM mean more stuff is loaded into it so there will be less disk access which is more of a power hog than the RAM, so would agree you need to look elsewhere for your drop in battery life. How old is the battery?

CountZero

Didn’t think the ads on here were Flash anymore.

molgrips
    Free Member

Nothing else has changed.. I’m thinking something must be using more CPU somehow.

Although it’s been dying when I’ve been trying to put it to sleep, so I think something could be amiss with power management.

How old is the battery?

The whole PC is only about 8 months old.

Cougar

Is there a battery calibration util you can run?

molgrips
    Free Member

I dunno.. it’s Lenovo, but I stripped most of the crap out. No, I stripped ALL of the crap out*. Consequently my blue ‘ThinkVantage’ button doesn’t work. I can live with that, I think.

* way before this battery issue though

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d turned the screen brightness up, and forgotten about it. In stripping out un-necessary stuff I’d turned off the thing that makes the on-screen display work when you use the fn buttons 🙂 Turned it down two notches and now it says 85% used 6 hours remaining!

druidh
    Free Member

On the up-side, I bet you now have a lovely tan.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Computer question – RAM and power’ is closed to new replies.