Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Computer "forgetting" DNS settings?
  • mudmonster
    Free Member

My computer started to go wrong a few months ago. I figured out that I could go to Internet protocol version 4 and reset it. Would have to reset it every time I switched on my computer. I downloaded windows 10 to see if it would cure it. Now it goes off every few mins. I can’t find too much info about it. Watched some YouTube videos showing how to reset everything. Anyone else had this?

Cougar

Can you describe the symptoms? “Go wrong” isn’t very descriptive.

Ever done a malware scan on it?

cranberry
    Free Member

Losing internet connectivity every few minutes could mean a lot of things, one being you need to do a winsock reset:

https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Resetting_Network_Adapter_%28Winsock_Reset%29

It is an easy thing to try, and is benign if it doesn’t resolve the problem. If it doesn’t work then you’ll need to give us far more information than “computer no worky” 🙂

mudmonster
    Free Member

Well it just says website not found. I’m still connected though. I use kaspersky, do regular scans. Used to type in the DNS settings manually and then click on “apply this fix”. Now click on find settings automatically as it’s quicker.

mudmonster
    Free Member

I did winsock reset.

disco_stu
    Free Member

How are you connecting via wifi or wired ethernet ? DO you have anything else on the network, table, smartphone etc?

Cougar

http://www.malwarebytes.org

Run this, decline the ‘free trial’.

Cougar

DO you have anything else on the network, table, smartphone etc?

And if so, is it just one machine that’s infected?

When it’s affected, what does your DNS server address come up as? (Command prompt, type ipconfig /all and scroll back up to your network connector).

mudmonster
    Free Member

When it’s affected, what does your DNS server address come up as? (Command prompt, type ipconfig /all and scroll back up to your network connector).

I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for in all those numbers?

I ran that malware program and there is no difference, my computer is not infected.

It does the same thing whether I connect wire a cable or use it wireless. I’ve been resisting the temptation to attack my laptop but I ended up hitting it quite hard. It stopped and restarted. It will be going out of the window soon.

MSP

try

ipconfig /all | find “DNS”

to simplify the information you are looking through

mudmonster
    Free Member

Ok, cheers, seems to be behaving itself after the severe reprimand.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Computer "forgetting" DNS settings?’ is closed to new replies.