Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Computer buying advice please.
  • zippykona

Any reason not to buy this?
    It would be used for surfing the Internet,printing out invoices and doing our banking.
    Will it be really slow ,will it be secure enough for us paranoid online bankers and why is it so cheap?http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060778.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xmac+book.TRS0&_nkw=mac+book&_sacat=0

cp

Your link seems to go to a search listing of about 6000 models!

zippykona
    cp

Must it be a mac? That’s a 10 year old machine… My other half used to work on a similar spec mac and it was painful slow.

cp

See yesterdays laptop thread, you can get much higher spec Windows laptops for nearly half that price.

zippykona

We are complete numpties when it comes to computers. Is there a free security that’s any use?
    We realise we are dim wits hence the worries we have about online banking.

surfer
    Free Member

You could get a proper computer for that price. Running a proper operating system and everything.

zippykona

Surfer a link please to save me looking!

stevehine

laptops direct

Something like this would be much better; and exactly the same price. And brand new; not 10 years old and 2nd hand …

mogrim

We are complete numpties when it comes to computers. Is there a free security that’s any use?

Yes, a new machine running Windows 10. Install Chrome and Adblock*, and don’t click on links offering you free money from Nigeria.

* obviously you’d whitelist STW.

zippykona

I like the idea of a new cheap one.
    Last night I turned on our old windows computer typed in STW clicked on the link and some bloody ticket agency came up. That was the reason we went with apple and we’ve not had any problems like that since.
    Is there anyway to prevent that happening again with a windows pooter?
    Edit just seen above.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I would suggest avoiding that particular machine would be a waste of money. Only 2gb of RAM it will be dog slow. My 2010 macbook has 8gb ram and a soldi state hardrive. Also bear in mind that it probably won’t run the last verion of the operating system. That leaves you open to hacking etc.

zippykona

That link above has a laptop with 500gb of some gubbins. I’m assuming that will handle 80gb of music on iTunes easily.

stevehine

@zippykona; 80Gb of iTunes – yes easily. Keep it all up to date; stay away from dodgy sites and you’ll have no problems.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Computer buying advice please.’ is closed to new replies.