Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Computer bods- I need a router!
  • jkomo

Our BT home hub is playing up, so I thought I’d buy a new router.
    We have fibre optic 180meg (I doubt it), 2 Xbox ones, watch TV listen to radio from it and iPhones etc.
    I also need to control what time the kids gadgets turn off etc.
    Budget 100-200 quid.
    Any got any ideas?

martinhutch

Have BT just written to you to put their prices up? They were offering me the newest Home Hub as a sweetener to stay with them.

fanatic278
    Free Member

BT just sent me a new one when mine started playing up. But even then it didn’t play nicely with my devices. Something to do with broadcasting on 2.4 and 5 ghz bands and needing to split the SSID (don’t ask). So I just plugged in my trusty 5 year old Apple Airport Express in the back of the BT Smart Hub and all is fine now.

ctk
    Free Member

I’ve just swpped to talktalk so have a spare bt router. Any good? Email in profile.

Cougar

Get on to BT. The last time I had this with Sky the conversation went broadly:

“My router is faulty, can I have a new one please?”

“That’ll be £50, sir.”

“On second thoughts, I’d like to cancel the service.”

“It’ll be in the post this afternoon.”

Drac

But even then it didn’t play nicely with my devices. Something to do with broadcasting on 2.4 and 5 ghz bands and needing to split the SSID (don’t ask).

That takes 5 minutes to fix.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/~/i-have-problems-connecting-5ghz-and-dual-band-devices-wirelessly-to-the-bt-hub

jkomo

Cheers guys, I’ll get onto BT First

legend
    Free Member

Nobody recommending going aftermarket with the likes of a TP-Link then?

keefmac

i use a tp-link Archer c20i dual band router with my virgin setup. put the virgin router into modem mode and plug your own router into that. much better router and good coverage in the house (3 bed semi) and the 2.5ghz actually reaches the back garden too.

CraigW
    Free Member

Got a TP-Link TD-W9980. Cost about £60.
    Has VDSL modem built in, so works fine for FTTC. Seems pretty good for wifi, covers most of the house.
    And plenty of settings to tweak if you want. It has some sort of “Parent Control”, so you can set time limits for particular devices.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Computer bods- I need a router!’ is closed to new replies.