Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)
  • Compulsory Helmet Consultation
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Have we done this yet? https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/compulsory-helmets-plan-for-all-cyclists-on-british-roads-jesse-norman-cycling-uk-rb7c026l0

Can’t read the rest of the article, but I assume the words have been a bit twisted based on http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/transport-minister-promises-cycle-safety-review-will-be-evidence-based/022242

Crap idea in my view. People get killed by cars – instead of addressing the cars lets blame the cyclists for not wearing protective clothing…

tomhoward

The cyclist, who was not wearing a helmet, died due to massive crushing injuries to his chest, having been run over by a lorry.

‘Serves him right for not wearing a helmet’ – drivers

ianbradbury

Maybe ask David Nutt about how our governments (of any persuasion) interpret the words “evidence based”. I think they believe that polling numbers are the highest available quality of evidence.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s also looking into making high visiblity clothing compulsory too. The day the world turned dayglo!

edlong
    Free Member

I’m finding myself in the very unusual (probably unique for me) position of jumping to the defence of a Tory minister – when specifically asked he said he didn’t have a view on helmets and hi viz but that the review, which he had already said would be evidence based and not “knee-jerk” could look at it.

As Chris Boardman has said, that’s fine, that bit of the review should take under a minute.

Perhaps worth noting that Jesse Norman cycles and probably has a more reasonable view on the issues than the Daily Mail reading “road tax” frothers.

oldnpastit

I think I get a harder time from car drivers wearing hiviz than not.

I think it gives then a bit longer to think “ooh, cyclist. what can I do to him?”

Wearing black I can slip past before they notice me.

Purely anecdotal of course.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Most cyclists die by being crushed not due to head injuries and its just fuel for the make them pay tax. have insurance etc brigade who just hate us

ransos
    Free Member

I’m finding myself in the very unusual (probably unique for me) position of jumping to the defence of a Tory minister – when specifically asked he said he didn’t have a view on helmets and hi viz but that the review, which he had already said would be evidence based and not “knee-jerk” could look at it.

If that’s what happens then there’s no problem. I’m just not that confident.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I see this as deflection tactic by the Tories.

ianbradbury

Perhaps worth noting that Jesse Norman cycles and probably has a more reasonable view on the issues than the Daily Mail reading “road tax” frothers.

It’s certainly possible that he personally does, what bothers me is that this government is probably relying on the “frothers”. Their general lack of rationality on other topics isn’t exactly cheering either.

Bez

The worst thing about this is that it’s pushed me back onto Twitter.

I think they believe that polling numbers are the highest available quality of evidence.

The results you get from people are driven by the incentives available to them. Politicians are rewarded by votes and by money, and an MP’s salary isn’t in itself a particularly exciting source of the latter: there’s far more potential offered by the connections that arise from being an MP. So any cynical or brutally capitalist appraisal of the situation implies that they’re going to be influenced by anyone with a ballot paper or a wad of cash.

The Conservatives have for many years been advised (to understate things) by Crosby Textor, whose “quality of evidence” is absolutely and relentlessly based on polling data: they are renowned for Mark Textor’s ability to analyse polling data and for Lynton Crosby’s ability to turn that analysis into successful campaign strategies.

(For what it’s worth, Crosby Textor also lobby extensively on behalf of fossil fuel companies and, tangentially, Mark Textor is the chairman of the Amy Gillett Foundation—supported by haulage and automotive companies as well as Crosby Textor itself—in Australia, which vigorously advocates helmets as well as vocally or tacitly supporting a number of other illiberal policies regarding cycling.)

So, although I’m not sure whether or not it was said in jest, you’re probably bang on.

Bez

Utterly meaningless. Jeremy Clarkson cycles.

ianbradbury

Sadly Bez it wasn’t said at all in jest – having worked in health policy I’m all too aware of how much impact actual evidence has on decision-making.

edlong
    Free Member

I’d perhaps take issue with the importance of Crosby Textor – their stock among Tories and in this country in general has fallen considerably in light of the far from spectacular success of more recent Conservative election strategies.

Not disputing the influence they have had in recent times, but questioning how significant they might be going forward.

Bez

It’s certainly possible that he personally does, what bothers me is that this government is probably relying on the “frothers”.

Jesse Norman has one vote. Daily Mail readers have about 1.4 million.

Bez

I’d perhaps take issue with the importance of Crosby Textor

Mainly just an example of the sort of links that exist and how policies are made, rather than any specific implication. In this case there happens to be fairly short links to illiberal cycling policies. It’s not the only plausible connection to such things.

winterfold
    Free Member

I’m not bothered about helmet compulsion but being made to wear hi viz – no **** way.

I have a daytime rear light and just can’t imagine the kind of copper who would pull you for it.

ianbradbury

I’m not bothered about helmet compulsion but being made to wear hi viz – no **** way.

Even if helmet compulsion wouldn’t directly affect you or change your behaviour you should still oppose it. The impact of compulsion on cycling rates is pretty clear from the evidence, possibly because it helps portray everyday “utility” cycling as a dangerous activity. Reducing the numbers cycling is a terrible idea for public health, and probably unhelpful to us as cyclists.

Bez

the review, which he had already said would be evidence based and not “knee-jerk”

If it was evidence based in the sense that’s implied, it wouldn’t even happen before two other reviews had taken place: around 50% of all traumatic brain injury occurs inside motor vehicles, and you’re more likely to suffer a fatal head injury in a road collision for every mile you walk than you are for every mile you cycle.

But the consultation is about illiberal cycling policies, because most people walk and drive. That’s the evidence on which this consultation is based.

edlong
    Free Member

Reducing the numbers cycling is a terrible idea for public health, and probably unhelpful to us as cyclists.

No “probably” about it – if you’re the only cyclist on the road you’re in much more danger than if there are thousands of us – if only because drivers will be expecting to deal with cyclists in the latter situation (although that’s not the only reason).

simon_g

Although that is partly encouraging (although so does/did Boris Johnson and he’s a c**t) this sort of quote does grates a bit with me:

I had the joy of leaping on to my bicycle when I biked in this morning – it was an enormous amount of fun run in. It was quick! I knew almost to the minute when I was going to arrive. It was fantastic exercise. I got here with an endorphin high.

This perpetual association of cycling = sport = exercise. That it needs special clothing and equipment, and you’re going to be working so hard (from sprinting off the lights so you don’t hold up the cars) you’ll arrive sweaty. I know Government like the idea of lumping in the need for people to exercise so they don’t die of obesity, but all that stuff is the antithesis of cycling for transport. It deters lots of people who don’t think they’re “serious” enough to get on a bike to ride a mile to the shops.

Go to Amsterdam or Copenhagen and it’s all normal people wearing normal clothes riding practical bikes at speeds that are way quicker than walking but that aren’t going to leave them puffed out. That’s what should be encouraged, not using your commute as an alternative to a spin class at the gym.

zippykona

Is this a br-x-t fallout?
    The miserable minority have had their way with europe .
    We are next on their hate list.
    Basically if you don’t play golf and have a moustache you are on the list.
    **** em.

wilburt
    Free Member

The beeb knows its customers “100 cyclist a year are killed on the roads so the goverment is considering mandatory helmets and hi viz”.
    Its so nice of those moustachios to care!

The problem is reporters not goverments, they are all just clickbait trolls.

edlong
    Free Member

Chris Boardman has commented and it seems to sum things up neatly

The Minister’s clarification on this issue this morning has put this story in perspective. The Government is not seriously considering this issue: the Cycle Safety Review will be based on evidence, and evidence shows that helmets do not make a significant difference to people’s safety…

whitestone
    Free Member

@simon_g

+1

Cycling needs to be seen as “normal” for everyday activities.

ianbradbury

Chris Boardman has commented and it seems to sum things up neatly

The Minister’s clarification on this issue this morning has put this story in perspective. The Government is not seriously considering this issue: the Cycle Safety Review will be based on evidence, and evidence shows that helmets do not make a significant difference to people’s safety…

I hope he’s right, but suspect he’s being optimistic. To me Norman’s position is that of a man preparing to tell us that he has been persuaded, reluctantly, to support compulsion by the evidence. The fact that the evidence completely fails to support him won’t matter at all.

edlong
    Free Member

I know the David Nutt situation* doesn’t bode well, but Boardman’s not alone on this and it isn’t as big an issue as narcotics. If they state “it will be evidence based” they will have a very hard time subsequently moving forward with proposals that aren’t supported by evidence (which compulsory helmets certainly won’t be).

*for anyone who doesn’t know, he was on the panel of experts who advised government on drugs policy, based on evidence, science and fact. He resigned when the government went completely against the panel’s evidence-based recommendations because, y’know, Daily Mail readers..

Also, a two-stage review process stinks a lot of “kicking it into the long grass” – I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the sum total of sod all comes out of it. Which would be a shame because there’s plenty that the government could and should be doing to improve safety for all road users, but since a lot of them will be unpopular with motorists they probably won’t happen.

ianbradbury

They just made it up on drugs, because, as you say, of the frothers. If they think the frothers care enough, or if they see other advantage, they’ll make it up here as well.

edlong
    Free Member

Despite the noise in Daily Mail and local newspaper comments sections, I honestly don’t think that many people really give a shit about cyclists either way.

That the “should pay road tax” lot shout loudly doesn’t mean that there are that many of them.

I think a LOT more of the ignorant led-by-the-DM voters have strong opinions on drugs.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Is there any evidence of the situation at night? Scotchlite or similar really stands out to me whether I am riding or driving. I try to make sure I have some on my clothing or backpack. Not so much for the dark lanes, there the loom of a front light is effective. But in town, with lots of bright visual distractions along with some dark hollows, reflective stuff just seems to stand out and say “cyclist or cautious pedestrian” to me.

ianbradbury

Well, in an offroad ‘high beam’ light reflective stuff on a jacket stands out, but if car headlights are really as well controlled as my stvzo light, I think the jacket would be essentially invisible. Presumably if you want to stand out you put the tape low down.

Bez

Despite the noise in Daily Mail and local newspaper comments sections, I honestly don’t think that many people really give a shit about cyclists either way.

Which is perfect for those who do have an interest in it and who have access to policymakers, because it means they’ll be able to achieve their goals with minimal resistance.

Don’t take public apathy to mean a lack of support for change. It means a lack of opposition to it.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The Times headline & I suspect the Dm’s + most others on the matter are BS clickbait:

Bikebiz

crazy-legs

The Times headline & I suspect the Dm’s + most others on the matter are BS clickbait:

The problem is that the “fake news” (sorry for that term…) has already done the rounds before the truth can even get out of bed and counter it. This is how policy is made when you want to do something that’s entirely against all the evidence. Leak it in the more vocal gutter press who will do your work for you and allow the evidence to be fitted around your pre-emptive news.

Classic case of that was the “45 minutes” claim around Iraq’s WMD. Didn’t matter that there actually weren’t any weapons, never mind any that could be mobilised and launched in 45 minutes, The Sun did the Government’s persuading work for them.

This will be the same. The review will reluctantly conclude that helmet compulsion is bad but by then the public mood will already be “oh but it was promised, The Daily Wail said so”.

joat

See MMR vaccine, £350m for NHS. It plants a seed which grows regardless whether it was a seed of truth or not.
    Anyway, our new Sunday morning club kit will have a Castelli flouro stripe down the middle, hope that will do.

wilburt
    Free Member

How Chris Boardman keeps going in the face of all this BS I do not know.

kerley
    Free Member

I’m not bothered about helmet compulsion but being made to wear hi viz – no **** way

I am the opposite. I don’t wear a helmet and don’t ever want to but I wear bright coloured jerseys and wind jackets (mainly so dog walkers and ramblers can’t say they didn’t see me but also to give cars less of an excuse)

wilburt
    Free Member

Personally I wear tweed and brogues.

funkmasterp

How would it be enforced if it came in? I wear a helmet through choice, but not hi-viz and don’t plan on ever wearing it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm let’s see. Latest budget, big deal over being leaders in automated vehicles. No money for cycling.

I’d assume that high viz makes cyclists easier to spot for automated vehicles. Compulsory helmets eases the introduction of some type of proximity detecting transponder.

It’ll be a sad day. I personally don’t want to have to dress up like i’m visiting a construction site if i’m just going half a mile to the shops on the bike 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Compulsory Helmet Consultation’ is closed to new replies.